Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Conference Discussion

Ugh. My suspension of disbelief is hurting.

It takes less time to go from Yamatai to Nataria than for me to walk to and back from the drugstore. x_x

I know, I know.

But looking at it from an IC perspective, I think it's more like taking a drive to another city. I mean, I still gotta get that flight, so maybe an hour to get there. This is including the waiting in line, being scanned by the machines, then getting patted down as they detect metals or some fusion reaction or something, leaping in surprise as I'm groped, then getting tackled and getting brought down by a whole bunch of overzealous and bored Neko. Then there's waiting in the room, getting it all sorted out, then getting on the ship, waiting for it to take off, clear itself with flight control (three times over for accuracy) and then making the jump.

And then the same thing - again - for getting off the ship. Next, there'd be the drive to the facility. Then tour! And Yui!

Yay!

Actually Nataria is less than ten light years away from Yamatai. About 8 eyeballing it. A Scout could make the trip in fold in 9.4 minutes, a Plumeria could do it in 8 minutes. But that's just the fold time. There is the actual in system travel time to get clear of the Hills Sphere of Yamatai, and to maneuver from the Hills Sphere of Nataria to the planet.

Ergo, we'll be home in time for dinner if we head there and back, not including the aforementioned pat downs and checks. Technology has an odd habit of making the very far away come a lot closer to you, making a gigantic universe millions of light years across seem like a grocery shopping trip.

Well awhile back there was the effort to expand the area, making the distances between habitable star systems greater, but if fell apart.

In all honesty, I recommend that Expansion Retcon being done again. Maybe an increase over 100% - the distances here are pretty short with our FTL abilities, and that also means that war on a national level is very fast, quick and sloppy. All targets are in easy reach of each other after all. The very best part however, is that if the expansion is large enough, there could be unexplored systems in between the current ones.

Even in Mass Effect, where you leap around most of the Galaxy as a whole using the Relay - even going from one end of the galaxy to the other - there's lots of gaps to the point that only 1% of the galaxy had been explored in that setting.

EDIT: I forgot to add to the laundry list of why it'd take an hour to Nataria - following being tackled by bored and/or overzealous Neko due to yelping during the pat down as a result of being groped, there's also the counter-groping, which leads to aforementioned waiting/interrogation room.

You guys know you would.

Last edited:
YamaTube, Wes? Seriously?

For a guy who'se so stringent on not bringing in stuff from real life in SARP, and so critical of it when it comes from other people, this is pretty lame.

If you want to set precedent of a media sharing system over PANTHEON/SYNC or whatever, you can do better that give a nametwist on Youtube.

The idea came from this IRC conversation: QQ

Tour folks, please use the tour thread I made!

We, will, we will! But it's all about timing and storyline. I'm sorry for not posting the last two days, but I'll do so on Friday after class is over - we're starting Cardio, and they say it's one of the hardest.

For now, I think the best option is to leave Day 1 open so that everyone can wrap things up as they see fit, while starting to post in Nataria. The best starting point, is likely at the very beginning of the tour, or right before it embarks I think.

Day 1 is not being closed, the Nataria Tour is just being pealed off. I have posted my most recent reply in the new thread.

Day 2 SUTARUTOU

@Fred's Kotori is in charge for the moment, while Yuumi tries to salvage a treaty with Lor and Nepland. All other delegates can arrive and shoot some trading shop.

Folks, just a heads up. I am leaving for Charlotte this morning to attend ConCarolinas. I'll be checking in on SARP on my tablet.

Kept wanting to talk to a certain compatriot about posting as well, but I have taken long enough for doing something myself.

If people want a conference to go to, they need to make themselves be there.

Also, I think the private dealings concerning the alliance treaty, considering it's handled separately, should be moved to another thread. The back and forth posting between one location and the other is bound to get confusing.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back