• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Implemented Create a Birthplace List

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
πŸŽ–οΈ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
This idea is to help people making new characters by giving them a wiki page or some place on the wiki that they can look at and get a list of what places are suitable for the birth location for their characters. This could be implemented by assigning a struct data field to place pages like locations and planets that is for the earliest year someone could have reasonably been born there (e.g. when there was a permanent colony). The birthplace list would compile this info in a central place, sorted by year and could be optionally filtered by faction.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I feel like this would be essentially the same list as the list of Locations.

I feel like this would be essentially the same list as the list of Locations.
The list of locations does not supply information about usability as a birthplace in any fashion. In fact, it's like playing the lottery since there are so few places a character who is, say, 30, could have been born.

I think if such list is made, it would need to be sorted on a faction? Is this possible?

I think if such list is made, it would need to be sorted on a faction? Is this possible?
Yes, with the caveat that it might not show planets that have changed hands because struct only knows the current faction for places.

Getting closer. Just added a field we can use to track when a location became inhabited/settled/colonized...which also means people could have been born there.

How would this work for a planet like Essia? Separa'Shan could have been born there for any age, but other species since first contact was in YE 29.

I suppose since Separa'Shan are playable we should mark it with Pre-YE.

What would a character born from Samurai House on Yamatai be classified as in terms of 'Birthplace'?

What would a character born from Samurai House on Yamatai be classified as in terms of 'Birthplace'?
Kyoto, Yamatai, right? I just use the most specific page that exists.

Well, no one requested any changes so I'm going to mark this as implemented.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…