Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• Got suggestions or a cool idea for Star Army? Share it in the new Suggestions Forum and vote on other ideas to let staff know what the community wants.
  • Join the final battle of the Kuvexian War in the Open RP Forum!
  • It's 1月 YE 43 for January and February. IC months advance every 2 OOC months.

Suggestion Create a Wiki Page About Mecha In SARP

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
FM of Yamatai
Game Master
The page would discussed arguments for and against the use of mecha (which we've had many of), existing mecha in SARP, how each faction uses mecha for military, construction, or entertainment purposes.

Cowboy

When you say Mecha are we talking about just very large suits of power armor or something like Gundam Wing?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
FM of Yamatai
Game Master
I'm talking the kind of mecha you pilot rather than wearable armor suits like the Mindy.

Ametheliana

Staff Member
Submissions Reviewer
Game Master
Character Forum Mod
Everything but "arguments for and against the use of mecha (which we've had many of)" unless it was an "advantages/disadvantages" section. We have a lot of articles like this under the tech namespace to just give an overview and to establish their use and it's high time for mecha, now, I think.

Reactions: Wes

demibear

Staff Member
Game Master
Character Forum Mod
Agreed, could use a general overview for Mecha and how factions implement them.

Andrew

SARP WikiGuru and Staff
Staff Member
Site Supporter
Submissions Reviewer
Game Master
I think a good Mecha Technology Article that talks about the General use of Mecha in the setting are a good idea. We could also use this to introduce new players to the types of mecha different factions deploy, so that they're drawn to in-universe stuff versus those awkward situations of new players trying to push something through NTSE without having the SARPiverse knowledge behind them.

Jack Pine

Staff Member
FM of NDC
Game Master
Character Forum Mod
That does make the most sense coming from us, so I'll definitely poke the other two and see if we can come up with something good for that.

Alex Hart

Site Supporter
FM of NDC
I think that we could certainly helm the project, though I would say that since each faction's use of (and its players' views on the tactical relevance of) mecha varies it would be good to have people from every faction contributing. Another person to get on the team for this would be whoever is currently the most involved with the Iromakuanhe as they use mecha extremely heavily.

Andrew

SARP WikiGuru and Staff
Staff Member
Site Supporter
Submissions Reviewer
Game Master
So my biggest question is by when can we make this happen and how can I, as staff, assist you?

Reactions: Wes

Alex Hart

Site Supporter
FM of NDC
A timeline for this kind of thing is hard as the first step is probably going to be research, so one thing that would be helpful is to have people find examples on the wiki of their faction's mecha (This is an easier step thanks to the existing list of mecha and power armors, though that may not be 100% exhaustive), and examples of RP where it was used by their faction.

To use Yamatai as an example, the kind of information I would want right now would related be the use of M11 Cammie construction mechs (though those might not have RP), the old V-1 Hoplites use in the pre-forum era (This will be hard), or the in-RP example of the old tale I was told about Yamatai buying a bunch of Origin mechs and basically tossing them at a planet.

For simplicity's sake, I will be excluding large power armor such as Kiries and Aggressors.