• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Discord

Do you use Discord?

• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it's fine, so long as people are transparent and don't use it as some hiding hole to talk crap on members. The SARP Discord Ame made has been active daily and consistently with good stuff as a testament to when it's used properly.

Edit: To specify, this post isn't made to insult people. Initially, someone thought it was and I apologize about the confusion. This statement was used to refer to an instance of bullying a new member underwent ENTIRELY on Discord via its abuse as a program.

So again, I apologize for not clarifying. This has nothing to do with anyone on the site itself.

Last edited:
I use it for quite a few things. There's the server hosted by @Ametheliana for one, as well as a few gaming related servers/guild servers. Discord had completely replaced the old skype group for the Robocraft moderation team, which was a pretty good decision overall-it helped with ease of access and the like significantly. I even am involved with a nice, not-so-little RP server on there ( @Noodlewerfer is also from the same server.)

With the right amount of tweaking you can get a fair bit of stuff to work in your way, including roles and bots (Ame's server has a few roles for members of a plot, and were set up so typing "@Kaiyo" tags every person who is in the Kaiyo plot in the server.) If necessary there's even ways to set up NSFW permissions/channels and the like (a relatively sure fire way is to make a special role to see the channel in question, meaning only people with that role or a "higher" role could see it. Of course, having an NSFW channel is by no means required in any way, shape, or form on discord.)

Vanilla/unmodified discord unfortunately does not support colored text without some fancy formatting, though.

Constantly use it to communicate with SARP people. We talk about plots that we are intrested in and help each other make posts, edit wiki pages, give criticism, and share memes. Very helpful with organization when developing things too.

I agree with what Legix said, entirely.

The reason why I prefer using Discord is that it in general gives me a less buggy chat option. The main site's chat sometimes doesn't work well on my phone, and I find myself constantly refreshing to make sure it didn't break from me tabbing out onto other things. Meanwhile, the Discord app is all around a better alternative for actually communicating while mobile.

(I'm actually on mobile quite a lot, though less now that summer is here).

Discord 4 lyfffffffff

But yeah. Discord chat makes things actually a lot easier for a bunch of us, since we have 2,000,000 servers in our discords anyways. Plus Discord has extensive support on pretty much all devices (someone even got Discord to work on a Kindle). It just makes things convenient given that Discord is maintained by a group of people wholly devoted to making the Discord experience better *cough* Skype *cough*

I answered "No".

Truth is, I have access to SARP's Discord. I actually dropped in yesterday in voicechat, even. But it's not where the bulk of my interactions with people occur. My use of Discord is mainly to get in touch with a few MMO gaming friends.

But in context of SARP, the "SARP" Discord channel is mainly something that's there and used by whim/opportunity.

I answered "No".

Truth is, I have access to SARP's Discord. I actually dropped in yesterday in voicechat, even. But it's not where the bulk of my interactions with people occur. My use of Discord is mainly to get in touch with a few MMO gaming friends.

But in context of sARP, the "SARP" Discord channel is mainly something that's there and used by whim/opportunity.
I wanted to highlight this and bring up something I saw Fay say in chat. Primarily, that Fay would be sad if we lost our current chat.

I think the best option is having both. A LOT of people USE Discord, but I don't believe it to be the only form of communication on SARP nor should it become so. Having both means we have a site presence AND an option for people who enjoy using Discord for its flexibility and availability (compatibility).

I use it mostly for gaming and nerd stuff. It's the new "current chat app" like AIM, MSN, and Skype have been in the past.

Ame's unofficial-official SARP Discord server is really cool and welcoming; she runs a tight ship and it's extremely well-moderated. Arguments rarely happen and everyone seems happy. I prefer to use on-site chat more often, though, because of the simple fact that we have it. So using site chat to conduct plot-related business and post stuff in my capacity as a Manager of Things™ seems best.

I kind of read up on chat archives.

There's a hug box channel where one member came the other night that had been bullied on twitter and other servers by non-SARPers. Legix said this in chat:
Legix: Because it happened to someone on the main Discord. A new member.
I wanted to clear up that Legix was talking about someone that came to SARP discord with a problem from other discords and twitter and received support from the server.

I think that you mentioned push notifications a year ago and I was all for it. I think what SARP lacks is something on my phone or at the side of my screen that tells me about whatever I want it to tell me about: new threads, mentions, messages, etc.

And yes, I've permanently banned people from discord and I don't need to give a reason why. Be nicer people. This is subjective, but I have a heavy hand when it comes to people just around to stir up trouble.

I would like to emphasize that there is rarely an argument poop talking, or bad mouthing on my discord. When there is, I delete the messages. I have done this twice.

I personally would like to see Wes on discord. We may or may not refer to him in ways he wouldn't like (basically we compare him to God a little bit too often to be PC) and he has his own emoticon. Those are the only things I'm embarrassed by and wouldn't want him to see.

I would be willing to see discord go if we had a voice chat capable platform for SARP and push alerts, but it's a really important part of the SARP experience for a lot of people, including myself, and I'd be sad to see it go.

If it were to be integrated into SARP, I would ask to be a mod there.

I kind of read up on chat archives.

There's a hug box channel where one member came the other night that had been bullied on twitter and other servers by non-SARPers. Legix said this in chat:

I wanted to clear up that Legix was talking about someone that came to SARP discord with a problem from other discords and twitter and received support from the server.

I think that you mentioned push notifications a year ago and I was all for it. I think what SARP lacks is something on my phone or at the side of my screen that tells me about whatever I want it to tell me about: new threads, mentions, messages, etc.

And yes, I've permanently banned people from discord and I don't need to give a reason why. Be nicer people. This is subjective, but I have a heavy hand when it comes to people just around to stir up trouble.

I would like to emphasize that there is rarely an argument poop talking, or bad mouthing on my discord. When there is, I delete the messages. I have done this twice.

I personally would like to see Wes on discord. We may or may not refer to him in ways he wouldn't like (basically we compare him to God a little bit too often to be PC) and he has his own emoticon. Those are the only things I'm embarrassed by and wouldn't want him to see.

I would be willing to see discord go if we had a voice chat capable platform for SARP and push alerts, but it's a really important part of the SARP experience for a lot of people, including myself, and I'd be sad to see it go.

If it were to be integrated into SARP, I would ask to be a mod there.
> God
This is Yamatai. Wes is Kami now.

We should make an official SARP Discord. I don't think Ametheliana should be the moderator, however, because I don't believe she can be impartial. I was banned with no warning for being rude in the SARP chat. My apology didn't matter. Others who are rude in the SARP chat get a free pass, my guess is because they're people she likes. A good moderator sets clear rules and consequences, they don't ban you because you were rude while others can do whatever they want.

This is Yamatai. Wes is Kami now.
A child of the luminous Toyotama-hime, born with blood of the dragons.

Discord: it has been a pretty major boon for me, personally, getting back involved in SARP at the slow pace I'm reintegrating. Others' mileage will certainly vary, but I'm glad to have it. The on-site chat has been tumultuous when I've gone in (not super stable on my browser, among other things), so I find I mostly drop in to keep tabs on the community meetings*. Discord's let me connect with the new generation of Elysia peeps and gotten me involved in the one plot I'm in and attached to the others I'm working on joining.

(*Will certainly echo what Legix/Fay note above. Having both of these things is fine and good.)

I love discord, I use it for almost every game or RP site I am on to communicate to people. I even have a discord set up between me and GrammarPaladin to create our new species. I do not like the idea of solely using Ame's discord. It is nothing against her, but if we only have that, some people wouldn't be able to communicate with others since some are banned. If she unbanned them, maybe I'd support discord only, but for now I say keep both.

I love discord, I use it for almost every game or RP site I am on to communicate to people. I even have a discord set up between me and GrammarPaladin to create our new species. I do not like the idea of solely using Ame's discord. It is nothing against her, but if we only have that, some people wouldn't be able to communicate with others since some are banned. If she unbanned them, maybe I'd support discord only, but for now I say keep both.
I doubt we'd ever be rid of all forms of site-based communication. Even if we lost the chat, people still have OOC threads and group PMs (I mean, I'd hope so).

Well, ya. But the majority of talking I assume goes on in the community chat.
I think that's inaccurate, especially if we're to understand that the Gart Discord AND Ame's Discord are always so healthy. It also doesn't match with the chat peak of 17 I normally see most days (barring community meeting days or holidays, I think) compared to the 20+ that are almost always active via Discord.

Chat is clearly in a weird spot, but it tends to be the most OFFICIAL way to greet and work with the newer members. However, they end up often finding the Discord and moving there based on the most recent 10 or so to join SARP.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back