• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Discussion of Potential Character Ideas For FM

FM

Inactive Member
I get a little restless when I play only one character for stretches of time. So the time has come for me, now that I'm a little more comfortable with the Star Army universe, to create a new character. However, rather than jump right into the creation process, I thought I'd discuss things with the forum beforehand.

So! The ideas are as follows:

Soreta, Nekovalkyrja Diplomat

Yes, I am aware that there are plenty of other diplomats (mostly ship captains, because we all love TNG), but certainly there's nothing wrong with another. Personality-wise I figure she'd have to be quiet and composed most of the time, just like any good diplomat, but with a temper that ruins negotiations on the few occassions it rears its ugly head. The possibility of being involved with the Ketsururi might also be an intriguing angle for her.

Leva, Nepleslian Operations Officer

Those who pay attention to the Sakura may have heard the name before, but if not, he's got a huge scar on his right eyelid for breaking Elisa's heart. (Ooo, dramatic!) That said, he's one of those people who manages to be both competitive and not at all ambitious, rarely bragging yet always wishing to serve his commanding officer - to the death and further. He's loyal to quite beyond a fault, though he is fairly good at what he does. Note the lack of last name - he has no parents and thus no surname to speak of.

Fusegu Mosa, Yamataian Tinkerer

The name's an in-joke that only I will ever get, for the record. Mosa is a rather peculiar fellow with a natural knack for invention, modification, and overwrought drama. He's willing to charm anyone - male, female, tentacle monster - and as long as they don't know him at all, it works enough of the time that he keeps doing it. That said, he's a good friend once one gets over the shock of such behavior, and is perfectly willing to use experimental (and possibly dangerous) technologies to help his allies out. He runs a business too - Stalwart Defense LLC, which he is the sole owner and employee of, and which exists solely to market his various inventions to larger corporations like Kessaku or WickedArms, without the risk of excessive liability.

---

There are more, but this should be enough for now. Note that specific histories, personalities, appearances, and skills are still in the works - these are more general concepts. Comments, potential problems, anything, tell me.

Well, I'm the kind of person that loves a good challange, so when ever I make write character I tend to make it either the complete opposite of the last one I played, or I give them a really complex or hard-to-play personality. But that's just me.

If you're 'bored', you may want to try something similar, just to kick it up a bit.

Not bored yet, just worried about the possibility. :p.

Inevitably, each character I play goes off in a direction I can't anticipate, despite my initial intentions. And each version thereof has their own quirks.

I think the Nepleslian officer sounds interesting!

Of course, Thomas is biased. He has a point though. :D

If you ask me, both the Neko diplomat and the Nepleslian officer hold promise. We need more diplomats, and we need more Nepleslian PCs (whatever their affiliation). Both chars offer plenty of RP opportunities.

If you choose the diplomat path:
Once school starts, I'll become very busy, and will probably send your char some of the missions on Henry's plate. (She can be Henry's understudy or something.) That way, you get to RP and I don't have a huge mission backlog when I come back. Everyone's happy, right? :D This is a big responsibility though. Screwing up on first contact missions has far reaching repercussions.

If you choose the Nepleslian officer path:
Once your char get accepted by an plotship, and you'll get plenty of chances to RP. Your RP environment will be more structured if you choose this path, and you get to bond with a single GM... You probably know all this. :)

While I don't want to discourage you from the tinkerer path, you'll need to put a lot of work into it, and operate mostly independently, if you want your char to work right. Independent PCs usually have to constantly consult the older players for advise, and pretty much be their own GM. MM007 seems to be doing fine, although I bet he'll agree with me that he's putting a lot of effort into it. :)

Zakalwe said:
I think the unexplored Elysian angle could be of interest!

Oh? I was thinking of the appropriateness of that...a character I could use in the Pirate plots, however, knowing the iffy status of the Elysians (you need GM permission to play one, for one), I purposefully took that option out.

Yangfan said:
Once school starts, I'll become very busy, and will probably send your char some of the missions on Henry's plate. (She can be Henry's understudy or something.) That way, you get to RP and I don't have a huge mission backlog when I come back. Everyone's happy, right? This is a big responsibility though. Screwing up on first contact missions has far reaching repercussions.

That's an idea, though I was also thinking of the 5th for several reasons. Since it is going on a diplomatic mission anyway, such an expert would be useful.

Yangfan said:
While I don't want to discourage you from the tinkerer path, you'll need to put a lot of work into it, and operate mostly independently, if you want your char to work right. Independent PCs usually have to constantly consult the older players for advise, and pretty much be their own GM. MM007 seems to be doing fine, although I bet he'll agree with me that he's putting a lot of effort into it. :)

I'm not entirely opposed to that - rather a conduit to get some tech into the RP, for one. I have others, but a PC would be most useful in that regard.

Zakalwe's about to start a Crataeis-class elysian plotship. Elysians, though not very detailed in the CCG, will be updated and the plebians should be playable.

We could do with you on board.

I'm about to get to work on my character for it - please think about the possibilities that playing a member of an arogant classical race which a superiority disorder could mean to you!

I think one of the big pitfalls of playing an Elysian right now is that they haven't been updated over the CCG. Through the search features, there are good references to be found for the angels... but that doesn't make it easy for a person newly arrived to the site to actually select an Elysian for a starting character.

I agree, and will explore the possibilities of working on one. I'll see if I can get Seki involved to - although it will be a good chance to implement some philosophy I've been thinking about for a while now.

Well, I'm still opposed to new players playing Patrician Elysians. They can't possibly play them right, for one thing. The sophisticated arrogance is hard to nail down. :p

But FM isn't a new guy. *points at his board rank* So I'd be fine with it if FM plays a Patrician Elysian. :)

I remember saying that we could consider the Practicians playable for experienced players just like the NH-27 samurai nekos are. You didn't seem to agree at the time though Yangfan.

Changed your mind? o_O

Well, yeah. :) Mostly due to the fact that no one seems to want to play Plebs, even though they could be fun characters if you play them right. :p

So if letting the more trusted players have Patricians is the only way we're going to get any Elysian PCs here at all, then so be it. I withdraw my objections on this issue.

Zakalwe said:
please think about the possibilities that playing a member of an arogant classical race which a superiority disorder could mean to you!

What a coincidence! That completely coincides with this character! Problem is, it isn't the only way she'd fit.

My biggest thing with her is that I was actually considering having her as a pirate captain - she's quite the psychopath, really. So there were several options I was considering.

But variety is always good. *shrug*

You need to be sure you'll create a character which will be worthwhile and playable. You've figured out concepts, but you should seriously consider where to play this character you'll create.

With the familliarity you now have with the SARP, while not actually a veteran, you have established yourself as a good roleplayer. I suggest rather than just trying out a character concept that you also work to contribute to make a plot run more smoothly (make a character for a plot rather than make a character and look for a plot - sort of like when you'd play D&D, if the group already has a fighter, a rogue and a wizard... it'd be a good idea to pick up a cleric).

There are several plots you could try and join:

The Yugumo, the Sakura, the Miharu, the Goban, Tom's Nepleslian plotship, Zakalwe's Elysian plotship, the Yggsdrasil.

Yugumo:
Venguia's plot. Accepts a wide range of players. Off on a big exploration mission. Andrew is good at making this big fleet feeling to his stories. The Yugumo is mainly SP right now (I think), so, it wouldn't hinder your Sakura JPing schedule too much.

Sakura:
Playing two character, two player characters, would be awkward to play, I think.

Miharu:
I eat my players. Stay away or be eatified (translation: Fred's max player quota reached).

Goban:
Cargo ship. Exploration and combat mission might not be what its going to be best as, so, your best bet would be to go and make an utility crew member whom might have plenty to do - bridge posts or technician post would likely be best. Careful, the commander bites. Alternates between SPing and JPing when Doshii can pull it off.

Tom's Nep plotship:
Play a Nepleslian whom would be in Nepleslia's army (finally!) and who is going to be off exploring the stars and making history! No clue if that DD4 cruiser is going to be mostly SP or JP andits schedule... but having an active player willing to join in might help Tom start things out. Tom is in a time zone quite removed from America.

Zakalwe's Elysian plotship:
Same as the Nep ship, except you're not stuck playing a guy and can have pretty wings with an attitude. Zakalwe, like Tom, doesn't live in America and can have a time zone that's a bit harder to deal with.

The Yggsdrasil:
The ship MM007 is struggling to make work and hasn't given up on it. You could go and roleplay with him. How that'd be arranged depends on the both of you.

Well, since Mizuho is onboard now, it could be done as a sort of sub-plot ship if it seems prudent to add crew. Yggdrasill is not a full-fledged plotship because it lacks a specified mod at the helm of the RP, though.

Kotori said:
I suggest rather than just trying out a character concept that you also work to contribute to make a plot run more smoothly (make a character for a plot rather than make a character and look for a plot - sort of like when you'd play D&D, if the group already has a fighter, a rogue and a wizard... it'd be a good idea to pick up a cleric).

That's why I chose the characters I did, actually - Soreta for the Yugumo (it probably needs a negotiator), Leva for the Nep ship (being a Nep), and Mora for the non-plotship environments (like the Yggdrasil) and for tech innovation.

Some particular comments:

Kotori said:
Zakalwe's Elysian plotship:
Same as the Nep ship, except you're not stuck playing a guy and can have pretty wings with an attitude. Zakalwe, like Tom, doesn't live in America and can have a time zone that's a bit harder to deal with.

There is a concept I can use there, though she's probably more suitable as a pirate or someone else less restricted by military protocol. :p Kind of bloodthirsty. As for the timezone, that might be a problem, but it might not.

Kotori said:
Goban:
Cargo ship. Exploration and combat mission might not be what its going to be best as, so, your best bet would be to go and make an utility crew member whom might have plenty to do - bridge posts or technician post would likely be best. Careful, the commander bites. Alternates between SPing and JPing when Doshii can pull it off.

No offense to Doshii, but I'm not really sure what the Goban is all about yet. Maybe it'll be clearer soon, but I'm keeping my characters out of there for now. :p

Kotori said:
Miharu:
I eat my players. Stay away or be eatified (translation: Fred's max player quota reached).

So what do they taste like?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back