• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Misc [Discussion] Unemployment and Homelessness

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Do you think the YSE should offer unemployment benefits?

If so, what should they be like?

If not, why not?

Re: [Discussion] Unemployment

It's a perfect Utopian society. why would they have unemployment for their hundreds of billions of subjects?

If you were to implement this, wouldn't it be similar to the prestige, bascially they would have a KS Card and would have to submit requests for funds for purchases beyond a certain level.

I was thinking it might work something like this:

- The government has an office that assists people to find jobs. It's a central place employers can find talent.
- People that are registered as "job hunters" receive a benefit check while they are out of work.
- Each month a person gets a list of jobs available that they fit.
- If they don't pick one, their membership in the "job hunters" group is terminated for inactivity and their benefits cease.

I like that idea Wes.

Though I think there should also be some form of time limitation on the benefits as well.

Not only that but there should also be background checks and the like to make sure the funds aren't funding criminals.

Of the companies offering jobs?

I was meaning the Unemployed, but you bring up a good point about the companies involved. They need to be regulated and benefited for providing jobs in some way.

In a utopian society, I suppose OKANE would traditionally be an issue.

It is possible that all jobs are overseen by one central office of employment. Perhaps we could make a sort of office of employment? Instead of making our own version of welfare?

I think making such an office would be fairly straightforward.

Maybe instead of offering unemployment, we should be be looking at covering a person's basic needs while they're in between jobs. This would allow us to tackle homelessness problems at the same time. I imagine it would work similarly to the current program for displaced former UOC persons.

- Food rations are provided
- Basic housing is available
- Basic employment is available (farming)
- All people are cared for but only working people get paid.
- (Yamatai already has free national healthcare)

While this is a good thing, I have to wonder what the homesteading requirements for such a land act would be. Also, if they're in an undeveloped area multiple kilometers from civilization, they would need some form of transport.

Perhaps equip the planet with additional spaceports and other essentials based on the Type 30 City Block and provide a cheap form of mass production transport as well? Also, much homesteading requires that the person lives at the site for a specific amount of time and works the land. Is there such a time frame here?

I agree the recipient of such land should be required to build a house on it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back