Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Do Yamataians fly? How fast?

Toshiro

Inactive Member
I have already asked Fred a few things about the Yamataian body, and this is what I got so far.

Yamataians can function in 0-2G, and can use antigravity to go 70 MPH in 0G. They can't fly, at least normally.

I was wondering if a Yamataian could train in gradually increased gravity, and maybe hone their antigravity abilities in said increeased gravity to eventually fly. After all, 0 to 70 MPH means a fair amount of thrust, even if it isn't hovering equivalent in 1G.

Solution
To answer the question of Neko/Yamataian flight, my intent was for Nekovalkryrja to fly around at car-like speeds, and for Yamataians to slowly hover around over obastacles.
I meant in 1G. If they can fly in 1G, then Elisa and Sana just forgot how on Kennewes. Can they still train to increase their speed or tolerance of gravity, like to get to 3 or 4 Gs?

*shrugs* Probably. But I don't think they'd be able to get more speed. Increasing their maneuvrability and effectiveness would be one thing, though. I compare it to swimming. Olympic swimmers are good, but not overwhelmingly so compared to well trained swimmers.

I see....how much G force tolerance and how much physical strength could be gained though? For that matter, how much physical power does a Yamataian possess initially?

On the issue of Elisa: She doesn't actively use the features of her Yamataian body, either because of ignorance or because of comfort. (Admittedly, this was partially player confusion/ignorance, however, I decided to keep it that way out of tradition.)

That's the ignorance I was reffering to. :P

Seriously, it should all be listed on the race info page. The NH-29 has like 5 pages to itself! I think the Yamataians could at least use a page or two.

70 MPH in 0G? That's easy.

Just put me in an environmental suit, put me in a 0G, low atmosphere environment, give me an fire extinguisher (all 20th Century tech, mind you), and watch me go. :D

When I talked to Wes, I got these figures.

Before gravity training (default Yamataian)

Can function in 0-2G
Can survive 15G (humans can survive 9)
10 MPH in 1G
70 MPH in 0G

After Gravity Training

Can function in 0 to anywhere between 3 and 5 Gs
20 MPH in 1G

I assume this means 140 MPH in 0G as well, but that is just assumed from the 2x normal 1G speed. Wes says the Yamataian body isn't meant to have TOO much room for improvement, but it seems to have some, especially in strength if a Yamataian can train to get to 5 G Forces.

Or you can appeal to Wes to change the default figures if you want. If he's willing to do so, that might be even easier. >.>

By how much did you exceed the norms with Yukari?

Okay, then what would 0G speed be?

Using the 7x relationship (70G / 10G = 7x) would make 0G have a theoretical maximum of almost 500 MPH which may be useful in Power Armors with blown engines, but not much else. Should we just assume 100-150 MPH in 0G for a default Yamataian?

That'd mean 140 MPH @ 1G and 200-300 MPH @ 0G for a gravity-trained one.

I don't think variations in the maximum speed due to gravity is wise, simply because it overcomplicates matters, training or not. Besides, speed is one thing, handling is another. The Sylph power armor (version 1A) was given a speed of 70 mph because its inertial drive was supposed to provide standard neko speed even in High-G environments.

I'd just say trained individuals manage to hit 70mph in 0G and 1G. More G forces beyond that makes handling way too difficult and gravity manipulation would be restricted to significant shifts to allow higher jumping or running speeds as well as coping with the adverse effects gravity would have on normal mobility.

I disassociate the speed one person can get to training. Experience with anti-gravity should be as outlined with Hanako ICly: how maneuverable and acrobatic you can be, not how fast.

The higher speed would come from pushing their body's limits and trying to use antigravity powers to partially compensate for higher gravity...I'm not talking as much about how well the antigravity works in higher than 1G rather than just speed increases, and maybe increases in physical strength from handling more weight.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back