• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Double Blind Deal

Arieg

DEFCON Everybody Dies
Their 'initial' meeting place was a non-distinct bar in the bowels of a crime ridden district somewhere on Nepleslia, the slime and dregs of society were seated all around the establishment. Smoke, either tobacco or unknown, drifted through the air as the various parties partook in their vices. Off to the side at one of the private booths was a man in a business suit, his clean, sharp look far out of place.

Not long afterwards a figure in a long jacket and flight suit entered the bar. Without so much as acknowledging the bartender, he moved over and took a seat at the private booth where the other man was waiting.

"Are you good company?" The pilot's helmet speakers crackled.

He glanced up at the newly arrived visitor, "Depends on your definition of good company." He extended a hand.

"Good company is that which doesn't ask unnecessary questions." The pilot ignored the outstretched hand of his companion. "Interpersonal contact exposes one to unnecessary vectors for disease. No offense."

"None taken" the man seemed to relax slightly, "The only questions we need to ask are those concerning the business, we don't care what you do with our products."

"I am...the Prince," the pilot hesitated for a moment, "as my contemporaries call me. What designation shall I use for you?"

"Mr. White, just call me Mr. White, now what can we do for you?" asked the man in a neutral tone.

"My organization is in need of a bulk shipment of ground support vehicles and planetside anti-starship weapon systems. Perhaps other things at a future date, but that can wait. What can you offer me, Mr. White?" The Prince clasped his hands.

Mr. White seemed to think for a second, "At the moment nothing, due to the sensitive nature of who you are and what you intended to do this will take time to setup. We must preserve our neutrality in this situation after all, but arrangements can be made."

"Falsifying records is quite easy when one has sufficient hackers at one's disposal." The Prince leaned back in is seat. "For example, I know a particular insurance company that covers interstellar transport. If we were to raid a convoy and steal the goods, the insurance company would be sure to pay out reimbursements accordingly."

Mr. White smirked, "That is one method, though several options are being explored for this arrangement, for now lets settle on what kind of systems specifically your after."

The Prince nodded, "As I said, support vehicles and anti-starship surface batteries. We already have assembly lines tooled to producing hybrid infantry-mecha Automata, but as of yet have not finished research on supporting vehicles such as tanks, transports, artillery, and so forth. What can you offer me?"

The man produced a small data pad and slid it toward the Prince, "That is a list of our presently operational systems and projected projects, feel free to browse," said Mr. White.

After glancing over the list for a few moments, the Prince looked up. "I will consider purchasing a thousand tanks, double that in APCs, as well as an array of handheld rocket launchers."

"Consider or confirm? Once this deal starts Mr. Prince it'll be very expensive for my party to stop and would be very costly to our initial business relationship." Mr. White was still speaking in monotone.
"I will give you my answer when you are so kind as to give me a demonstration," said the Prince.

"Of which system? Or are you looking for an expo of sorts?" asked Mr. White.

"Everything, of course. Since I take it bulk equipment orders aren't a frequent occurrence, surely you must have the time, no?" The Prince tilted his head.

Mr. White pulled out a small piece of paper with an address written on it, he set it in front of 'Mr. Prince', "Meet me there in two hours and you will have your... demonstration." He said while standing up.
The Prince stood up as well and said, "I will have a liaison meet you there in my place. I have other business to take care of."

-

The meeting place was a long derelict storage compound with a massive warehouse complex, in a past incarnation it had been a surface shipyard now it was nothing more then a gutted corpse on the city's outskirts. It's cavernous interior long since stripped of anything of value now it was nothing more then a giant empty space, perfect for the event planned.

What arrives for the weapons demo was not the person that has been at the negotiations, but instead a woman exited the transport. What would be a business suit is what she's wearing, if business suits were made from leather. Though the more striking thing about her was the mask. Over her face was an opaque white mask with no markings save a drilled out hole that allowed one eye to peer through. This weird person walked up to the warehouse doors and waited, arms cross.

With a groan the doors started opening revealing a pseudo bazaar of armaments on cheap steel tables, parked behind these are several armored vehicles. However the eye catcher was a large ID-SOL standing in the middle wearing a heavily modified suit of Impulse Power armor, his helmet wasn't on.
"Hmm, interestin, I was told to be expecting a man, no matta, my name is Mista Black I'll will be yer ah.." he pauses for a moment "demonstrata for the evening, and your name missy?"

"You can call me Doppel." The woman said, her voice reverberating with a slightly synthetic undertone. "I am sorry that the Prince is not here to watch, he had things to take care of." She said, raising one leather bound arm to wave. "Now shall we?"

"That we shall missy," Mr. Black said while turning toward the table and hefting one of the myriad of weapons, it was an SFR-01. "Dis isa rocket propelled grenade launcha, the militia types love this thing, its light, cheap, and with it's optional warheads it makes an excellent all around projecta of death. Would you like to fireya it?"

He asked while sliding a tandem HEAT rocket into the launcher.
The women tilted her head as she watched.

When he asked if she'd like to try it, she raised a hand to her mask. "Job security has robbed me of depth perception." She excused herself. "But by all means, I would like to see it fired by a professional."

Nodding slightly Mr. Black turned around before glancing back at the women, "may want to move off to the side missy, dis thing hasa hell of a black blast." He said while sighting in on a junked car a hundred meters away.

She complied and moved to the left off of Mr. Black's unoccupied shoulder. "You may fire when ready sir."

He stiffened a moment before a loud bang followed by a 'woosh' blasted the once quiet area, a split second later the car exploded in a shower of burning metal and debris.

Mr. Black smiled at his work before turning around to face his observer, "As you see its a farely effective system against general targets but I imagine you want to see how it performs against armored targets." He waved toward a damaged Star Army tankette that looked like it had seen better days.

"What sort of armored targets do you have lined up?" Doppel asked as she scooped a piece of burning shrapnel up and examined it in the palm of her glove, the force we're dealing with will be heavily armored, so I do hope these have enough penetration power."

Mr. Black glanced at her, "What exactly are you persons taking on eh?" he asked.

"I'm terribly sorry Mr. Black, "Doppel said, "that information is not available, I'm afraid you will need to contact the Prince." She said, in a chidingly sarcastic way, which was enhanced by the voice scrambler effect. "Now about the demonstration on armored targets."

"Alrighta then missy, now ita take a few rounds from dis one." the ID-SOL said while holding up the RPG launcher "Now against something like say... a ripper or minda, I'd advise one of these." He set the tube down and picked up a larger system, an AT-1 'Shortbow' missile launcher. "Now dis, will screw up arma pretty good and its guided." He aimed it at the tankette and fired.

The missile hit the small armored vehicle's frontal armor and penetrated into the forward crew compartment detonating ammunition stowed inside. The resulting explosion resulting in a fountain of molten metal.

"Now for your heavy armor this is what you want," he said while setting the spent launcher on the table.

Doppel walked over to the spend launcher tube and picked it up. She spent a moment just examining the Shortbow, turning it this way and that, even placing it in fire position and sighting it down her mask, even though the sight couldn't meet her eye. "Hmm, nice launcher." She said as she put it back. "Is there anything else?"

"Anythin else catch your eye missy?" he said while gesturing toward the tables.

Doppel walked along the tabled and paused near the battle rifle and it's assorted accessories. "Hmm. This rifle..." She muttered as she traced a gloved finger along it. "May I try it?"

"Break it you buy it" responded the ID-SOL.

Doppel picked the rifle up one handed, surprised slightly by the weight. But she quickly adapted her grip and held it up turning it back and forth as she seems to admire the shape. Looking back to the table she picked up one of the magazines and slid it in, securing it with a slap, then cocking the rifle with a flick of the slide. Taking another second to admire the rifle she took one step forward and leveled her arm aiming down the sights with her exposed eye. "I am going hot." She said in warning.

The ID-SOL stuck his fingers in his ears, "Go fo it" he said.

Doppel nodded and then quickly tilted the barrel down as she squeezed the trigger and fired a burst at a standard firing target. Letting the natural muzzle climb raise her aim, pocketing most of the rounds center mass. Raising the gun she tilted her head and scanned the range for another target. Settling on one with 3/4th cover, probably meant for grenades or rockets, she turned her aim to it, but adjusted the rifle's bore so that the next burst actually ricocheted off of the cover and knocked the stand down. "Hm, nice, well balanced, not much climb on burst..." She clicked the safety, ejected the magazine and then forced the chambered round out. "What sort of attachments does this come with?"

'Why ar da small ones always klinkers' he thought to himself before snapping back, "Grenade chunka, scatter gun, scopes, foregrip, flash light, lasers, bipod, just abouta whatever the bord enginers could think up." said the ID-SOL.

Doppel put the rifle down and crossed her arms. "Hm, I'll talk with the Prince about the small caliber arms and munitions," she said, nodding, "I would also like to request a custom order for a rifle, it's entire accessory kit plus one extra mod." She said, turning her blank mask to the ID-SOL.

Mr. Black nodded, "I'll put da orda in after we're don with this little engagement, anythin else missy?" he asked.

Doppel turned to Mr. Black. "the mod I wish to request is a bayonet." She said, picking up the cold rifle again, "the blade at least barrel length." She said, drawing a gloved finger across the length of the rifle's front barrel rail. "The rest is up to the Prince."

The ID-SOL raised an eyebrow, "Noted, that be all then missy?"

Doppel nodded. "We will be in contact when I talk with the Prince."

"Aye then" the ID-SOL finished before turning back toward the weapons, it was time to leave.

A few hours later...

The bar smoke was irritating her nose, while the music was irritating her ears. Inwardly she was wondering over and over why the Prince decided to meet at this rundown rat's nest and not back on the ship. By the third time the Barkeep asked if she wanted a refill, Doppel nearly decided to up and wait on the ship till he got back.

It was a few minutes yet before the Prince would walk in. He paused for a moment to glance around the dark interior before he spotted Doppel and moved to take a seat beside her.

"So?" The Prince asked rather simply.

"So?" Doppel parroted, in a close aproximation of the Prince's own voice, with some digital feedback. "Ask a better question, Prince."

"Are we happy with the goods?" The Prince motioned for a drink from the bartender before he continued, "Or are we still shopping?"

"The items are of good quality, I can attest to that," Doppel said as she picked a cashew up from the bowl on the bartop and rolled it in her gloved hand. "The dealer was curtious and was eager for a sale." She flicked the nut back, "I would reccomend them."

The baretnder placed the worn glass before the Prince. Before responding he took a straw-like device out of a helmet compartment and stuck it into the drink. "Well, that's a good start. Make sure we setup the appropriate civilian fronts for laundering transactions as we'll probably become a return customer if these toys shape up to be any good."

"Of course," Doppel said as she played with the bowl of nuts, "I have just the front avalable, the Snakes will never know it was us." She turned to the Prince. "Shall I also get the item manifest started? Do you have any personal orders from them?"

"I am pleased as punch," said the Prince before taking a loud slurp through his helmet's drinking tube. "Get the gear I requested. We'll use it to raid a few depots, and then we can always buy whatever we're still lacking in later."

"Of course Prince." Doppel said with a nod. "I'll go ahead and make the order from the ship." She said getting up to leave. "Will you be coming with me? Or would you like to continue absorbing the local color?"

"Thankfully my respiratory and optics filters take care of that. Nonetheless, I can only imagine how bad it is in here." The Prince stood up and offered his arm, "Shall we, my dear?"

Doppel bowed and took the offered arm. "Let us be off then, My Prince."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back