• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Gaming Dream Games!

LittleWasp

So, I have an idea bouncing around in my head and rather than dumping it in the chat for no one to see, I figured I might try and make a fun forum game of sorts.

Tell me about your dream video game: Whether it be the most perfect game for you that you can cook up in your imagination, or literally a game that you have dreamt about one time. I find I do it fairly often: I dream in-depth about these complex, fun games, which usually have 4X elements, large persistent worlds and high interactivity. Usually strategy games. Sometimes it's so vivid I wake up thinking 'Dang, I wanna play that game I was thinking about!' only to be sorely disappointed. ;w;

So what have I got bouncing around in my head? The Combine from Half-Life 2. Easily one of my favourite fictional alien overlords, if not the absolute favourite. The combination of appropriated human designs using alien technology juxtaposed with the truly alien Synth war machines that they use is just awesome, and I loved the concept of an Earth being slowly stripped of its resources, both human and otherwise, by this reclusive inter-dimensional empire.

I'd love to see a 4X grand strategy game based off of that setting, particularly the bleaker mid-development version of HL2's world, where City 17 was a walled-in bastion of order surrounded by dried up oceans and untamed wilderness infested with Xen aliens. The same is true, albeit to a lesser extent in the final game, and the dried-up sea bed Wasteland only ever got a cameo appearance.

Anyway, back to my idea. You'd command the Combine, or some similar, original oppressor, beginning in your safe, walled-off city full of begrudging, human 'citizens'. You need to frequently sally forth from your city into the monster-infested wasteland beyond to search for scarce resources and bring them back so you can expand your city and improve its infrastructure, defence and self-sustainability. All the while, you have to contend not only with rabid aliens attacking the concrete walls to your city, but also rowdy human rebels trying foolishly to wrest back their freedom.

Sooner or later, you'd start building more cities and smaller outposts to expand your reach, using long stretches of railroad to establish supply lines through the wasteland.
Expanding endlessly is all very fun, but the ultimate goal would be to accumulate enough material and technology to build an inter-dimensional portal back home: The premise would be that the invasion was cut off half-way through, and you need to pick up the pieces and bring it back to full-swing. I figure that at the beginning, you need to scavenge human technology to use, and gradually begin building more powerful alien weapons and vehicles.
There could also be rival alien empires that begin colonising the planet in late-game too, for some stronger challenges, or surviving human countries that managed to weather the initial invasion.

Bah, I've got it all out of my system, now. :p Tell me your thoughts and ideas! ^w^

My dream game would have action/shooter structures at its core. I don't mind thinking or puzzles or so on, but a good solid action core will keep me coming back again and again.

Then it'd be a matter of which of the two I want to lean toward.

My favorite shooters are Doom 2016 and Halo. They both have very smooth gunplay and a solid balance of enemies, weaponry and moment-to-moment gratification. Halo, I think, had the better enemy variety in terms of abilities and how you approached them. Enemies in Doom had more character, but the same approach worked for a good many of them. The glory kill mechanic, its premise, stands out, however. I don't mind a challenging game, but I do mind when the game takes you out of the game as punishment. Modern shooters make you hide until you regen your health, then go right back into it. Some games punish you dying and having to redo the fight from the top, like Dark Souls. Instead, I like the idea that in order to survive, to keep playing, you just fight all the harder.

My favorite action titles are Zone of the Enders 2 and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Platinum just does amazingly satisfying spectacle fights, both in gameplay and in narrative. Rising, the tutorial boss is a Metal Gear Ray. Your first boss is what would be in any other Metal Gear title the final boss. And then it escalates from that point. ZoE is probably the best mecha combat game I've ever played, with responsive and intuitive controls. It also is VERY PRETTY.

I'd probably start with a base similar to Nier:Automata. Platinum style action with secondary buttons for auxilary options. Ranged attack, special abilities like homing weapons, stun blasts, etc. I'd make sure the swordplay was a lot tighter, more polished than Automata. Always felt too loose, like I was missing a good chunk of the moveset. Low health, you can perform finishers to restore health from slain enemies. Emphasis should be on fast, responsive combat. Also the ranged attack would actually hurt enemies rather than the pea-shooter you get in Automata. Basic enemies should not take that long for you to whittle down on normal. You shoot em, they die, you move on.

Some light progression mechanics. Nothing full blown RPG because that typically ends with you just beating the enemy to death with your character sheet or the other way around. You'd get better gear, but it'd be mainly with respects to opening up gameplay options and notable step ups in weapon/item/player performance. Like say you start off with a grenade secondary weapon. An upgrade might give it a slight damage boost, but better would be having to choose between having it throw out secondary bomblets which themselves explode or sticky rounds. Player stats would be handled as a balancing act between different values. Tankier but slower versus faster but fragile. Neither of these extremes should feel punishing or deleterious.

Narratively, I'd say cyborg warriors of some fashion, fighting through the galaxy. Their would be a main campaign with a story and pre-done levels. You go across the galaxy, upgrade your systems, on your way to the biggest, baddest showdown with the head of an evil galactic empire. Doesn't need to be anything groundbreaking, just a good playground to run around in.

What'd keep me coming back, though, is something like Diablo series having an Endless Dungeon, or Warframes standard missions. In warframe, their are several types of missions as defined by a set of simple goals: Spy missions, you infiltrate enemy data vaults, sneak through a secure area and crack the terminal at the core, for example. Sabotage missions you find critical equipment and break it. Survival pits you in an area to endure as many enemy combatants for as long as possible. Levels/Missions would be procedurally generated from tilesets, with randomized enemy distribution as appropriate for the mission and difficulty. This way, you can just jump into missions and levels where you won't necessarily be able to memorize the entire layout by heart after a few play throughs. They might not have the depth of a human-created level or scenario, but they'd be a good frame for you to just jump in and enjoy playing the game without going "Oh, I know what happens here."

Halo was what kept me buying Xbox consoles, even when they kept fricken' red ringing. I think I miss the original Xbox's lineup of games over the 360's. Halo 3 was so-so for me (Never played online back when it was popular, so I never got to experience that side of it.), compared to the fun campaign that 2 had. I have many fond memories of me and my bro playing coop in the Arbiter's missions, painstakingly keeping every allied grunt alive and outfitting them with the best weapons. We had a soft spot for grunts. :p

I remember Torchlight had an Endless Dungeon, and there was a mod for the second game which added one as well. Torchlight is an example of a game which I feel has no real personality to it. Its art style just makes me think of World of Warcraft, and the more interesting enemies of the world are given a backseat in favour of less inspired monsters like the Netherim: They're demons, but purple! O: That said, it's a fun game and I enjoyed it. The Diablo-esque music (made by the same artist!) is very good, though
Diablo was one of my childhood games: My mum was actually the one who first got into it. She fondly reminisces dropping me and my brothers off to school, then zooming back home to play more Diablo. She finished the game with all three classes. I only got to play and finish Diablo 2, but the first game had such amazing atmosphere that I can't forget it either.

"The sanctity of this place has been fouled. >:C" - Warrior

My dream game? It would be a combination of genres. Basically, a 4X game mixed with FPS and simulation from the perspective of an individual. Do you like strategy? Become an Officer and command people. Do you like shooting stuff? Be Infantry. Do you like trading? Become an entrepreneur and start up a business. Do you like building things? Be a craftsman.

Players would choose a species, customize their character, then choose a starting planet. Everyone could either work together to expand their civilization to other worlds, become a pirate, try to become the leader of their civilization, etc. There would be around 6-10 species, some in alliance and others on their own. Although at first the state of the galaxy would be predetermined, players playing the leadership of the governments/factions/alliances would over time decide whether to keep or break alliances. They could decide to become violent dictators but would have to face consequences. For all this to work character death would have to present a meaningful loss but not be necessarily permanent. Maybe like backups in Star Army, except they are expensive. It's realistically an impossible concept with our technology.

Okay so maybe it would really just be a simulated world basically but that's what I would want. It isn't exactly well thought out.

Wargame 4

Which would really just be wargame : red dragon with some quality of life improvements. Wargame is already such a unique RTS experience and it's a shame it wasn't better made so modders could really get into it. The gameplay is super tense and kills are extremely satisfying.

Achron 2

Literally just more Achron, perhaps with better graphics and some quality improvements here and there.

Metal Gear Solid 2: but in the MGS 5 engine.

MGS2 is basically an unexplainable experience. Everything from MGS 1 was there dialed up to 100. The game was playing with your expectations and running mind games even during the advertising. The story is maybe the deepest of the series and has really aged well. The Kojima weirdness is still at a minimum too. Having that kind of experience with a game again would be awesome.

It's just that MGS5 has the best gameplay.

Hmmm... Playstation 2 was my childhood, so I think I'd like to see something like the old Ratchet and Clank trilogy.

While the reboot certainly looks nice, I believe it has a lot of problems. The biggest gripe I have with it, is that they completely stripped the character progression arcs from Ratchet and Clank. Ratchet is no longer the stubborn mechanic who just wants to explore beyond his planet, he's now just a good little hero wannabe. I could go on, but there is a super in depth video that explains it all.

On a related note, it would be cool to see a ground-up visual remastering of more old Playstation games and series. The N-Sane Trilogy, while it still has a few tweaks need to be done here and there, I believe is a fantastic example of how to take an old game and remaster it, and add little bits of depth and polish that seal the deal as a whole.

Also as addition to my previous post, since I forgot a few things:

Co-op should exist, but not a multiplayer PVP mode. I enjoy being with friends, but too many games use co-op or PVP as artificial padding on an otherwise underwhelming core. I'm looking at you, Destiny.

Player customization and aesthetics should be divorced from actual mechanical benefits. If I want to do the Conan thing and be a big beefy tank who doesn't wear a shirt, I should be able to get away with that without having to deal with annoying penalties. I just want to look cool, if I want a handicap I'll let you know. Also customization will be full body, not just the head/hair/colors so many games give you. Champions Online had possibly the best character creator I've ever used. Aside from the sheer variety of options and how many places of customization you had, it handled a large range of physical builds. I'm all for players being able to play characters that aren't beholden to looking like underwear models regardless what you do with the sliders. If I want to play a fatass whose gut is hanging outside his robot armor I will fucking play that don't try and stop me.

The infinite mission mode should also have the option of player control over the context. For example, I could try and run a character with no upgrades through a more difficult level full of tougher enemies. Maybe I don't want to fight this one specific enemy type because they are a pain in the ass. Or I'd like super long levels on a specific tileset. I'm reminded some of Halo's Firefight mode, which was great but limited in scope.

Graphics could be more technically simple so long the art design was solid. Similar to how Minecraft made everyone go crazy for pixel art again, I'd like to see people get back into simple geometry. This would save memory, energy and budget, allowing for more polish and work to be done on the game itself.

I figured I'd update this thread since it's been a while, and I've kept on dreaming; this time it's a game from actual dreams of mine. It's like the ultimate grand strategy space game, with empires starting on one planet, similar to stellaris, only strategy also happens on each planet too (I.e, two empires can hold territory on the one planet, fighting over it using ground troops in a manner similar to the Civilisation games). In addition to planets, there were also space platforms and megastructures that empires could secure territory on: I recall using marines to secure an old, broken up space station and establish a salvage operation there, only for it to be hampered by a hostile alien creature living within the station. Last night the highlight of my dream was a battle taking place on a planet: An AI empire was invading and trying to drive out the locals, who were a primitive, semi-industrial civilisation that had a blood sacrifice/eldritch worship aspect to them. They were like a 'neutral' non player empire.

During the fight, I was playing god/using cheats and giving advanced technology to the local faction to help them in their fight against the invader. The war went on for so long that the various territories on the planet were becoming devoid of resources and population. In the end I spawned a monster species on the planet, analogous to the Prethoryn Swarm, the Zerg, etc, and watched them take over the planet and eliminate both sides.

I've dreamt of this super-strategy game on more than one occasion, and while there have been differences, there's been a lot of recurring themes, and the dream presents it as being the same game too.

As much as I love the thought, it'd be too big of a game for my feeble human mind to comprehend realistically. It started at a planetary scale and went up to a full galaxy, with each and every planet having its own surface and territories, natives, etc. And that's not mentioning the other things like space stations.

If I had to try and translate it into a real, feasible game, I'd base it off of Star Wars Empire at War, only with the space and ground strategy modes merged to some extent. Space would be the main strategy component, building fleets and exploring a solar system with them, then when you find a planet or other object, you send a transport to it to drop a ground force. It would then swap over to ground mode, subduing any monsters/native factions as well as establishing a base there. You could also modify an already owned base's buildings and garrison from space mode, to avoid unnecessary loading, like in EaW.
With a system like that, though, I think it'd be a singleplayer only game, due to the loading and unloading of instances. Maybe a Co-op mode of some sort... I'm more of a singleplayer person anyway, so it wouldn't bother me.

The problem I'm seeing with that is scale and perspective. It'd be really easy to miss micro-scale events at the macro-scale, and it could get to be a chore if the player has to tick all the boxes for every planets turn.

The original 90s XCOM had some issues like that, I think, when people started building multiple bases. My best suggestion would be having it non-turn based, but events proceeded at enough of a pace that you didn't need to rush your responses. Smaller planets and territories would have default AI patterns and be able to take care of themselves without micro-managing. Then being able to rush time forward to let everything proceed, maybe with a soft rewind function just in case.

I'm kind of reminded of the concept of the Sims, where the player largely acts as a god-like meddler with no real end goal agenda.

Neat thing about the concept is it could work regardless of the scale. You could just as easily play a small territory against the horrors of the solar system versus forging a galactic empire.

Yeah, that is a good point. In my most recent dream it definitely did seem kind of like a god game.

On the topic of a solar system game, I've long been mapping out an I'ee focused game in my head, based off of games like Freelancer, Rebel Galaxy and the like. It would be set solely with the Ee'ee system, within the setting of a larger galaxy with a human empire and several alien civilisations: The focus would be on humanity's expanding presence and interaction with the I'ee in Ee'ee, some year or two after they first made contact. With a growing presence of illegal smugglers and pirates taking hold within the Ee'ee system, the human authorities have sealed the only established jump gate into Ee'ee, aiming to quarantine the system and prevent diplomatic relations with both naive and suspicious I'ee families from being soured by humanity's criminal elements.

The player character would be customisable, with their starting ship, equipment and faction affiliations being determined by one of several starting points: Freelancer(neutral), Trader(civilian, lawful), Navy(lawful, military), Pirate(unlawful), Smuggler(unlawful, civilian). Maybe some secret ones too.
A player character can deviate from this starting point, like a navy player going rogue or a pirate reforming. I'ee families/factions would be neutral and wary for the most part, except Ee'ith, who would be as blindly naive and friendly as usual. Depending on how you interact with the I'ee (and human factions too), you can change their views of you and humanity as a whole.
There would be optional win conditions for each player type, like accumulating wealth for Freelancers and Traders, establishing a new, secret jump gate for the pirates/smugglers, becoming friends with the I'ee for the Navy, etc. You could also act solely in the interests of the more secular I'ee families and help them in ridding Ee'ee of human settlements and destroy the jump gate for good.

So, there's another game idea from me. :p I think about this stuff while I'm going for walks or doing other such activities to stimulate my brain.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back