• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game: Take Three

SSharp

Inactive Member
Hello once again to the semi-annual attempt at a Dwarf Succession Game in SARPdom! I'm your host, SSharp, here to break it down for you! Joining me is the enthusiastic Aendri who will take the first turn in the Succession Game.

First off, let me explain what Dwarf Fortress is. (If you already know this, skip the colored text.)

For those who don't know, it's a fantasy game where you take a band of 7 strong, mature Dwarves into the wild untamed land and there carve out a Fortress to stand the test of time. Or not, because the game's motto is "Losing is fun!" for a reason.

You start out with limited resources, a few misguided dwarves, and a bunch of unfriendly creatures who are intent on killing you. Eventually you carve out something resembling a proper fortress, and more misguided dwarves arrive to cash in on your success. It's important to note that the Dwarves themselves are nearly autonomous, with their own personalities, likes, wants, needs and if conditions get bad enough (which is frequent) or the Gods just want a laugh (which happens often) your dwarves can get possessed, go mad, become suicidal, or they simply make a mistake and fall down into a local Chasm of Doom. This makes Dwarf Fortress a challenging, fun game.

Now, onto the important part:

Each 'Turn' is one Dwarf-Year, and after the year is up it goes to the next person in line for the 'succession'. Everyone can volunteer to take a turn, and anyone who has a turn has to post updates on their progress -- just watch how Aendri does it, and follow suit when it comes to yours. Or, if you don't want to have a turn running our fortress (into the ground) you can volunteer to be "Dorfed", which means a Dwarf will be named after you in-game by the current ruler.

This, I guarantee you, will be fun. If you don't believe me, just read some of the more famous Succession Games where almost every post is a laugh.

Now.

Ruler List said:
This is going to be the up-to-date list of Rulers past, present, and future of the Succession Game ordered by turn number.

1.) Aendri (Died at the end of his reign.)
2.) SSharp (Put the fortress in peril!)
3.) Kokuten
4.) Stovaa
5.) (Volunteer needed!)

Dorfing List said:
Dorfing List. Volunteer to have a Dwarf named after you in the game!

Aendri (Dorf'ed)
SSharp (Dorf'ed)
Wesley (Dorf'ed; Drafted)
Kyoki (Dorf'ed; Drafted)
Ira (Dorf'ed; Drafted)
Luca Pavone (Dorf'ed; Drafted)
Nevaraon
Kokuten
Stovaa

Now. First vote: What/How should our fortress be named? Sound off!

Randomly generated, OR (Suggest a Name)

I vote Randomly generated (but something random/funny)

I am slightly interested in participating, but am not quite sure I understand the mechanics properly. (This is also assuming that it won't die out like your Werewolf Game)

I, at least, can keep going until sometime this summer at the very least, so if you guys can jump in between rounds for me, we can keep it going. On another note, unless there is another suggestion (Since Wes's can't be put in) by midnight, I'm probably just randomizing until I find something worth keeping, and going with that.

We also still need peeps to be dorfed. So stop pussy-footin' around and volunteer already.

The first settlers have officially embarked on their quest, the small group know as "The Violent Tombs" is on their way to the distant fortress site, known to them only as Rashudil "Deathlantern".

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l63_Gotsin_Embark.png

In this distant location (Apparently without trees despite their maps assurances), these seven dorfs will try to survive despite the encroachments of nearby goblins and the apparently vicious dromedary hordes to the east.

~~~

Now, just a couple of things to throw in here, and then I'll get down to actually playin' it out. First are the two data files:

This is a replacement init file for any of the rulers who want to use it.

And this is a replacement for the raw objects folder.

Here is the worldview. Not gonna link that one direct, because, uh... well, it's about 30 Mbs, and huge to boot, so I'm not going to have Wes murdering me for eating his bandwidth.

And finally,
ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l63_Gotsin_OriginalSeven.png
There's the list of all seven of our starting brave adventurers.

Well, first year over. Quick and easy one, got a decent amount of stuff up and running for Sam, but most of the year was remarkably boring, like first years tend to be if you're lucky enough.

~~~~

Well, first things first. Let me tell you, whoever invented these silly map legends really needs to check their glasses, because there are obviously none of these supposedly present trees anywhere near the site they mapped out. Lots of annoying Bactrians around, though our Ranger managed to drive off the dromedary menace almost before we could worry about them.

Aside from plenty of rarer stones and gems, the area seems almost empty, desert off to the east and nothing but rocky mountains as you progress west into the area. We established the beginnings of our fortress near the small stream in the western reaches of the area, and quickly set up what will hopefully become a firing gallery for ballistae (once we get ahold of some sort of wood, at least) to make entering the fort without permission a bit more hazardous. After establishing a barracks and dining hall for the residents, we got started on building a large indoor crafting area and storage facility, and also began the process of digging a tunnel to the softer loam soil on the far side of the mountain, to get started on a long term farming facility.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l63_Gotsin_Deathlantern_15_region1_302_7.jpg

With the tunnel completed, along with four full size farms and the beginnings of a temporary shelter near the farms for the workers on the way, it was time to dig down near our own fortress, to gain the space we needed to start building the long term residences the inevitable immigrants to our new fortress would surely demand. You can imagine our surprise when we struck iron ore directly below the level we'd already been working on so steadily, and in good amounts as well.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l63_Gotsin_Iron.png

However, almost directly after striking iron, amazing luck, followed by horrible luck. First, we are honored to be the chosen ones of some god or another, as we stumbled upon what I can only assume was another god's body, as it was armored in a narrow suit of that most valuable of materials, adamantine. As we were nowhere near ready to smelt the armor to repurpose it for our own use, I mandated that it be sent back with the autumnal caravan, who gladly traded everything I asked for the honor of carrying the armor back to the Mountainhome.

I can only pray to Armok (pointless though it may be) that they made it back safely, though I fear for them, as scant months after they had left to return home, a force of goblins descended upon us. I was off on one of my regular hunting excursions at the time, and was the first to come upon them. As the only member of our small group with any military training, I realized I had to try and keep the others safe, and fought my hardest, shouting to get their attention, but only managed to kill one of the cowardly beings before they swarmed me under, and left me for dead.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l63_Gotsin_FirstCasualty.png

Happily though, my shouted warnings had paid off, and though they had no training, the remainder of our group had strapped on what armor we had traded for so recently, and readied themselves to defend our fort to the last man. Amazingly enough, they managed to drive off the goblins, not even one injury among our group aside from my own, though they strangled three of the goblins, and drove the last three back up into the mountains.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l63_Gotsin_PostInvasion.png

With the man who was to replace me during my convalescence already selected (and he's much better at dealing with people then I am), I'm ending this entry in the fortress's history here, for my successor to pick up where I have left off.

Unknown author's addition: Sadly, the author of this passage passed away only days after handing off control of the fortress to his successor, and was buried at the earliest opportunity.

~~~~~

With that done, I end my tenure as the first leader of our fortress.

Here's the save file. Best of luck.

SPRING

My name is Sharp. S Sharp.

If you don't know my name, it's because I got dragged to some hellhole in the middle of nowhere. A hellhole by the name of Deathlantern, Rashudil in the Mountain Tongue. And something tells me that it will live up to its name.

Maybe it's the fact that Aendri, our former Overseer is dead? Goblins, of all things. Before he died, he gave a cry, strangled the closest goblin while hitting it with his damned diary, and then found out that spears don't tickle.

And, for some reason only Sudon knows, the others have looked to me for leadership. Well then.

I immediately ordered the construction of Ballistae parts, since I was soon to be done with the fortifications Aendri ordered of me. Someone would get to it sooner or later -- between bouts of moving the felsite rocks that covered the ground everywhere -- and once I was finished with the front entrance's fortifications I went and carved myself out an office on the north end of our little home. I petitioned some iron seats and a table, as well as a bed for myself... As Overseer, I figure I'd better have my own quarters. It's only fair. ;)

---

Elves have arrived, from Asif Dur... Afid Cur.. Ashid OH SCREW IT. Treehugger homes all look, sound, and fall the same once you're done chopping 'em down. But these Elves, it seems, have forgone their homes in hopes of trading some berries for beards -- I leave them to try and grow one while I take a nap.

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_ElvenCaravan.png_3aee055a5782c291029ad50e234c757f.png

((ONE NAP LATER))

Oh... Shit.

The Goblins have returned, and are right on top of the Trade Depot!

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_Ambush.png_061baccc63819d9f1f5223bbbde6b041.png

I was just about to finally trade with the green-hearts when they seemingly just appeared from nowhere! They close in on the Elves as I take my chance and run screaming like a little dwarfette!

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_ElvesKilled_1.png_25bf54fe7474af79f042a7d36401c654.png

OH MY GOD IT'S HORRIBLE. NO ONE DESERVES THAT -- OH GOD, DON'T STICK IT IN THAT ELF'S -- WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THAT DONKEY? OH GOD!

The redneck Goblins spare no elf one of their Grisham techniques. A smart elf takes his Donkey-friend and is on my heels as I flee, but he was too slow -- he and his friend are brutalized by Goblin Spears and Swords.

I stop for a moment, remembering that I need to get back inside when they catch up with me as well. I can't remember well what happened next as the Goblin Wrestler grappled with me, but I do remember finding my way back to the entrance with a grievous wound.

To my right, I see Kyoki assume the deadly look of a stone-cold killer. She readies herself to fight, and I think maybe, just maybe we'll get out...

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_KyokitheWarrior.png_edd5d2a2f12d99de9c7620da1a182123.png

But a particularly clever Goblin notices that she hits like a kitten. Kyoki receives a spearpoint to the face for her troubles.

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_OrNot.png_e6ead84fc2a9108807780349342e984b.png

All seems lost! Ira, Luca, and I have all taken wounds at some point in the fighting and young Wesley has disappeared! I fear the worst. I order everyone inside but...

TO BE CONTINUED

I am stepping up to the plate for this. Need someone to stop this crazy "outdoors trade depot" stuff, and all that hokey about goblins?

I'll get all Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time on their green asses.

Kokuten volunteered in the IRC first, but even he may not get a turn in this fortress if we all die.

Don't think we will. But I'll hand over the reigns if my Dorf dies a horrible, horrible death. I'll find out today and put up the final update.

Well... That was unexpected. But the FORTRESS CONTINUES!

Anyway. My turn's final update.

----------------------

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_TheyAwait.png_32bab2f9e9311b92cc278a03eb5f1c54.png

It's been an hour... two, maybe?

No one else made it inside. Only Gabriel and I, sitting here in dining room. He's bleeding profusely, and I don't know how to stop the blood. I hear the Goblins scratching at the doors, shouting at us because they can't get inside. Tossing insults. Threats.

I wonder if there are others alive.

--

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_IraBezerk.png_8d2d761af725aa536bbb8a2f96114dec.png

The blood was all over him. Ira stood over the corpse of a goblin, panting. His beard was matted and wet from the ordeal, dripping crimson liquid over the ground. Above, clouds were drawing closed; shutting out the sun.

There were other Goblins -- THERE! He saw it. He let out an enraged roar.

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_IraSquaresOff.png_0f291ac01dee5433f8e1d5ecf7ce02c2.png

The green creature would pay for coming to Rashudil. He charged at it, swinging the battle axe -- the only one of the fortress -- in wide, swooping arcs. It would die. He cleaved it in two.

But he didn't see the other Goblin. Didn't see it until it stuck him with its spear.

Darkness consumed him.

--

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_LucasStand.png_aca0b6885a89bbf237585b9cbb0c213e.png

The Goblin stood, breathing slowly where he stood. Not twenty feet away, Luca waited.

"I've finally found you, Luca." The Goblin said, nearly a whisper.

"Yes. You have."

"You won't win this time. Beg, and I may give you a swift death."

Luca didn't answer this. He looked up; the sky was dark, and roiling with the clouds of a storm. It began to rain.

"I've waited a long time for this."

The Goblin rushed forward, flexing his biceps. He reached out and grappled with Luca. They struggled there, in the rain, straining. The Goblin was strong, and it was immediately apparent that he had trained since last they had met all those years ago, on a night whose sky was much like today's.

The sky flashed and boomed with the storm. It frightened the child in his arms, and Luca listened to her wails. He could do nothing to comfort her... Only protect her, as he had promised. The Mountainhome -- a Mountainhome -- was burning behind him, the Surface buildings were aflame and the tunnels into the mountain were filled with choking black smoke. The rain could do nothing to stifle the maelstrom of fires. Screams and fighting could be heard from the streets.

But Luca paid the noises no heed. All that mattered was the child.

Luca forced the Goblin to the ground, where they continued to wrestle. A green, gnarled hand closed around his throat.

"Do you remember, Dwarf? Do you remember your humiliation? Do you remember how I burnt your precious city to the ground? Do you remember how powerless you were?" The Goblin snarled.

They found him in the trees a league outside of the Mountainhome.

The goblin wolf-riders had hounded his footsteps since his exit from the Mountainhome, but had failed to catch him. A combination of the wind, the rain, and the confusion of the fighting in and around the city had prevented his capture. But outside of the fighting he could be easily found. And so it was.

He hid the child in a hollow made by the roots of a large, ancient tree. Luca then turned to meet his adversaries.

"Do you remember how I found you, soaked in the blood of my soldiers? Do you remember how we fought in the darkness, as we now fight in the light?"

Luca remembered. He got his hands on the Goblin's wrists and wrenched them free of his neck. He pushed them down against the ground, pinning the Goblin there.

Luca fought as he never fought before. His sword cut through the air, taking riders off their mounts and lopping limbs from bodies. Goblin blood covered him, and still the child wailed from beneath the roots.

She was all that mattered.

He fought, and he fought, and he fought until there was no one left but him and the last Goblin.

They charged each other. Above, the moon broke through the clouds and the smoke to shed light. Their blades flicked out, catching the moonbeams on their edges.

Luca cried out as the Goblin bit at his neck. He let go, and suddenly the Goblin was on top of him. Green fists smashed down onto him. Each strike was a hammerblow, and Luca tasted blood.

He was losing. He couldn't lose.

Luca reached up, grabbed the Goblin's neck even as more blows rained down on him. There was a flicker of lightning in the gray clouds.

A crack of thunder.

--

Gabriel died in my arms. I was alone.

Goblins were still outside -- I could hear them. But I knew what I had to do.

I opened the doors, and made my way back to the dining room. I would make my stand there, at the choke point. I will fight, and I will die.

My name is Sharp. S Sharp. Remember me, please.

-----------

Alright. So, Luca lives and has his Awesome showdown (sorry for the poor quality of the story, but whatever.) and my Dwarf dies in the dining room.

Little did I know, but a second after the Goblins got into the Fortress and a second away from my Dwarf grappling with them (they were distracted by a cat,) Twenty-One Migrants appeared.

Yeah. My dwarf died, but I quickly conscripted EVERYONE into the military. The Goblins were swamped with dwarven bodies, and the Fortress is saved! Luca is the last remaining Founding member, but this next turn goes to Koku, who now has a named dwarf. So does Nevaraon. The only one who hasn't been Dorf'ed is Stovaa, but there are 19 Dwarves to choose from.

ai738.photobucket.com_albums_xx24_SSharp214_FinalStatus.png_a5c79a0cb8a0bd0bea9286f40f852d6c.png

So. I leave it to Kokuten. Download the Save here

Due to Kokunauts having problems getting it going, I've done a year ahead of schedule. I'll post part of it journal-esque then a final bit as an overview.

Right then.

I departed from the Mountainhome with over 20 of my kin, all heading out to a newfounded Fortress we'd heard was booming, traders telling us of the opulence and wealth of the place.

From the moment we drew over the final hill, we realised how wrong they were. Bodies, Dwarven and Goblin alike littered the landscape, like discarded toys of a sickening God. Grungni help us...

We quickly learnt that the only remaining dwarves from the expedition were wounded. One, Luca Pavone, seemed to be up and walking. Another, Nevaoron, was bedridden and needed attention. He cried constantly for water, though there were no buckets with which to fetch any. Clearly neither of these were fit leaders for a fort, so I was placed in charge.

I set to work ordering a slew of coffins, mining out a chamber myself and smoothing out the walls. We were going to give those who had fallen a burial before their corpses stank out the hold.

Next order of business was to tear down the posters telling everyone to stay inside and get them to go outside. All of the goods and the trade depot were outside the door, in an easy-to-steal position. I made a note to change that when I could.

Luca suddenly became struck by a Fey mood and wandered around the Fort, talking to herself. So shortly after being relieved, she appeared to be mad? I didn't trust her.

When she claimed the Butcher's workshop as her own and locked the door, I became incredibly concerned. But I have a fort to run, I can't babysit the insane dwarves all day long, a Human caravan arrived and my attention was duly diverted. I relieved them of their wood and food, giving them a number of anvils and clothes scavenged from the foul Goblin bodies.

I was woken in the night by a foul scream. Fearing the worst, I rushed to the hallway, calling to arms the military of two crossbowdwarves and an axeman. The sound of a struggle came from the main storeroom itself, in the heart of the fort!

ai20.photobucket.com_albums_b233_Stovaa_omgwtfLuca.png

Oh God. Kol Cattensashas came with my from the Mountainhome, we were friends. The image of Luca hauling the body, slowly, back to that butcher's... it'll haunt me forever. She locked the door and began ranting about a "mysterious construction" she was making. On a lighter note, someone finally made a bucket and saw to the injured dwarves, sleeping in the barracks. Seeing the long distances we must travel to get water, I took note to build a well inside the fortress itself.

Summer is here! No migrants came, no doubt truth of our situation has reached home and we are to be alone until prospects improve. Every night, the sounds of tools on meat echoes through the halls. How long must Luca toil on the body of our friend?

As I was ordering the construction of traps near our entrance, the sounds of movement came to me across the valley. An envoy from the homelands! Thank Hrungni, at last we can-

ai20.photobucket.com_albums_b233_Stovaa_LilBastards.png

AMBUSH! Protect the caravan, friends we- wait we have nothing of value and the caravan is heavily guarded. ...As you were.

The battle lasted seconds, Goblin carcasses littering the landscape, leaving behind bodies the merchants did not care to loot. I told some underlings to take it all and we would sort it later, trade it to the next caravan. One of their macedwarfs entered a martial trance and exploded a goblin. Literally. Bits all over the place.

I was impressed and scared. Maybe one day, this hold too would have such great warriors in its service.

Barely an hour after the caravan has setup, another ambush! Several dwarves were frightened by the foes, but thankfully they were saved by a hail of bolts from the Caravan guards. I only wish the caravan could protect us all the time, and that the traps would be finished faster.

ai20.photobucket.com_albums_b233_Stovaa_LucaWhatTheHell.png

Great, Luca murdered my friend, tormented the fortress and made her into an earring. It's not even special, just an earring. And now she claims to be a bone carver.

After finishing the earring, I didn't see her for a few days. When next I saw her, she was eyeless and resting in the barracks. Three injured dwarves in such a small hold? The fates are not kind...

Autumn has once again brought no new migrants. I have put my energy into directing the fort though, rather than engraving the walls with gold and making it seem nicer than it is. I don't want to sucker anyone else into visiting this hellhole.

The traders set off before I had a chance to trade with them, but I doubt they would have had much I wanted. The trader seemed quite fond of trying to sell me musical instruments. What the hell do I want a flute or drum for, my dwarves are turning each other into jewelry!

Winter has come. The wind carries a chill, and I fear I smell goblins upon it, but the traps we are placing should quickly sort them out.

Today I intend to finish the water channel that will feed our well.

ai20.photobucket.com_albums_b233_Stovaa_WhateverLucaCanDo.png

BUILD! I MUST MAKE IT!

NOTHING CAN STOP ME MAKING THIS! THE VOICES TELL ME TO BUILD, SO I SHALL CREATE WHAT THEY TELL ME TO!

I HAVE WHAT I NEED! I CAN DO IT!

I... don't know what came over me. Images of a great artifact. I hope it outlives me in this foul hole.

It is finished, and it's... well. It's better than that bloody earring.

ai20.photobucket.com_albums_b233_Stovaa_IMadeDis.jpg

ai20.photobucket.com_albums_b233_Stovaa_Deaths.png

The Goblins never tire of invading our home, but we grow rich from their carcasses. I hope we will soon be visited by more willing migrants. I have begun construction of some statues to make the fort seem brighter and less depressing. I hope they are finished in time.

Another ambush. I knew putting all those stockpiles outside was a terrible idea. I'll bring them inside when it's safe.
Several goblins fell to our traps, but some made it in and surrounded poor Fath Onulagsal. I sent the crossbowdwarves after them, but he was already dead. Godspeed, brave soldier.

This fort definitely needs better soldiers.

Another ambush. This time, they took the jeweller. Thankfully, the crossbowmen dealt with them before it got any worse. Need more traps, fast.

Well, after a lousy winter, spring has rolled around. there's been talk of a change of leadership, and honestly I'd be glad of it. Too much stress is taking it's toll on my beard...

Well, that's my year. Buried the dwarves who died, tried to start everything going nicely. Food production seems to be ok, but I dislike the idea of having to go outside so I've started making new areas to put the storerooms. Dwarves are a bit depressed atm, but people with skills I need die first. Nowhere near as awesome as I promised, but the traps are up so if we stay indoors, we should be safe. We needs cats though, 'cause they're good at thief detection and being food.

Haven't dorfed anyone else, I'll leave it up to the next person. Save file is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0KQ7ANHF

Yep, anyone can volunteer to be dorf'd.

Speaking of, am I up again, or is Koku going to try and take his turn now?

The file keeps coming up corrupted for me, could someone else take a swing at it and make sure it's not my internet being silly again?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back