• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: 188604 Economic Collapse

R

Rizzo

Osman City
1456 hours

An angry crowd gathered around the large bank of the Frontier Service Corporation. Only that morning had the effects of a hundred sixty million KS leaving the planet days ago caught up as the majority of the economic backing of the Arkmark left with it. The Buttonless Brigade was ill equipped to handle the sheer number of people involved in the rush on the bank which had left the building on full lock down.

The truth was that the money withdrawn had been done in a way that the multiple people involved had no idea of just how great the exchanging of money had become as it happened simultaneously, a sad side effect of trying to use people rather than machines in FSCorp. Despite Candon's warnings the small offshoot of Sky Guard called Section 6 had finally done it. They'd sold the economy of 188604 straight out from under the people and given it to Iemochi Innovation and Sales to build ships the Frontier Manufacturing Service could have made for half the cost. Without firing a shot the two Albion class carriers had destroyed the Frontier Banking Service.

Inflation had set in quickly, with the price of common items quadrupling in price overnight. People on the planet were undoubtedly scared for the future, but Osman City was both the only location in turmoil.

Howard Station
Public Address to 188604
Open Broadcast
1456 hours

People of all types gathered by display screens as footage of Mr. Donovan addressing a large audience in an amphitheater styled convention hall was going horribly. While most simply booed the president some of the more bold ones stood and shouted, even throwing random items at the android. The audience went silent as the items froze in the air.

"That's enough, Mr. Donovan. I'll take it from here," Candon Suites ordered casually as he walked toward the center of the stage with his hand up, wrist-worn graviton projection device glowing as it held the gravity field holding back the airborne debris. With a quick nod Mr. Donovan walked to the back of the stage and took a seat. The glowing on Candon's wrist faded out and the projectiles fell to the floor.

"I get it," Candon claimed, "you're all pissed. You should be. I made a mistake, I assumed that by keeping our prices lower than anyone else in the galaxy big players on the planet would just use our services. One of them didn't, and we still have no idea why."

A woman in the audience shouted over the murmuring voices, "How did this happen!"

Candon looked to the floor. Would they even be able to understand? Jack seemed incapable of grasping the concept, could a layman comprehend the concept? He would need to simplify this to a point anyone could understand.

"The only reason the Arkmark had any significant value is because the Banking Service was exchanging currency at a rate that made the Arkmark equivalent to the Neplieslian Davis Alliance. It made interstellar trade possible and created the economic boom we've been able to enjoy. The more business was done through us the more foreign currency we had available for exchanging money. Now we have none."

An irate man in the audience, shouted back, "So where did the money go!" More shouting followed from the audience.

"I'll tell you where it went," Candon shouted back, the crowd quieting to hear, "you remember those two giant carriers that we didn't build? The ones that flew over Osman City in a big fancy parade? That's where the money went, IIS took it."

Outrage swept though the amphitheater as more angry shouting ensued until the crack of Candon's Lorath Hand Cannon boomed twice into the ceiling.
"HEY! That's enough!" He roared, "I didn't come here to get your opinion. I'm here to tell you how we're all gonna fix it!"

Deafening silence overtook the room and every other room on the station and planet that watched on through the live broadcast.

"It's time for a change. Section 6 is disloyal to us, fine! For a start we are no longer recognizing their relation to the USO. They've betrayed the people of 188 so spread the word and take solace that they can no longer make these purchases since their currency is in Arkmarks and no one else is exchanging currency," Candon paused, then continued, "I can't do this on my own. I need every man, woman, and child on my side in this. I am forming the corporation's security into its own branch and creating a special division for economic security. Make no mistake, we are in a depression AND at war so I am authorizing this new division to stabilize prices by any means necessary to keep our skies clear of Mishhuvurthyar. Understand that we are taking direct control of the economy until which point as the Banking Service is reactivated, and be assured, your accounts will all be exactly the way you left it."

"In the meantime we have more than enough food on the station to hold us over for at least a year. I want everyone, in space or on the ground, to create an account on our website and register with us. I don't know how bad things will get, if the worst happens it will be through this account that we will be able to send relief supplies and employment. We will get through this and afterwards we will be stronger than ever before."

With a very mixed response of overlapping shouts and faint, short lived applause Candon left the stage with nothing more to say and far too much to do.

I'm surprised you didn't mention this to me?

Edit:
Following talking to people I've realised this has been planned for a while, I just saw IIS and got jumpy.

It's been explained to me that the option of FSC from an IC-POV means that sort of statement won't affect my multi-plot element.

Nothing to see here folks, lol. People on 188 can still RP with IIS, that was my concern from denouncement.

Last edited:
It is a fact that I have been talking to people about for a while. I've told Zack and Jack that if S6 continued outsourcing it would cause financial hardships for FSCorp. So IIS is the bad guy here and this will see future problems, especially if it continues.

There is something to see here, folks. If you want to continue your RP activities that is fine. This is simply fallout from the actions of your RP.

Huh. Well.
Nope.

Sorry, by you deciding to implicate my non-USO-exclusive setting element in a negative way that can affect it outside your small environment without discussing with me or asking my permission..

Decanonised by Player Rights. I'd rather keep the option for as many people as possible to use my company for their RP than suddenly having people think they're some sort of corporate demon. Especially since I don't think just over a hundred million KS leaving a huge nation would have any sort of dent in its economy. That's the cost of a skyscraper or two, it's not even 1/5th of a billion, it's nothing.

Remove mention of my settings elements, you didn't ask my consent or discuss something that has reaching implications for your own incredibly localised and exclusive purposes. You'll need Setting Manager permission not Faction Manager, or you can ask every other GM and FM I'm involved with.

Sorry dude I have other plans which this would conflict with. You have nothing to fear from me, I've put self-imposed restrictions on IIS so there's no reason at all for you to demonise them.

Last edited:
Okay, then Howard Station is falling out of orbit. This was my middle ground, and I have been telling you for a while that you have been starving FSC. I told everyone that by Year's End if FSC was not involved the station was falling. Nobody used it and now you want me to stand by and ignore. On the grounds that you knew full well what your actions would bring, I elect to ignore what you feel your player rights are and retain my player rights to how my faction and those associated with it view IIS.

Okay then we need @Wes to rule then..

It isn't your place to ignore my player/creator rights without any real justification for something that's limited to your one company when such an action can affect several plots in several factions. As for giving you a chance or however you feel, we literally asked you to help make the SS1 cruiser and you said no. If you'd come to me with some ideas at how I could help you I would have done so. I've even let you pretty much blow up one of my freighters for your own ends before.

In any case, it is not my perogative to help you find RP for your company. God knows I've found it easy enough, you just need to ask around and get involved rather than expecting people to come to you.

Unlike FSC, IIS does not hold power. There is no reason for you to slander a element based solely around facilitating RP when you clearly could elect to remove the mention and continue with your plans regardless without mentioning IIS.

I'm mostly annoyed how you didn't even mention this to me and did it when you knew I was pretty busy IRL. I hate to say it but it seems like a power play, probably suggested by someone else who doesn't like me for whatever reason and probably unintentional from your standpoint.

It's it's not slander because it's true. To have me change and IC perspective based on your OOC perspective would be unethical anyways. Furthermore, I have in fact told you, @Zack, and @Jack Pine that FSC would collapse by Year's End on at least two occasions. The problem is you feel as if the player rights make IIS incorruptible. That is not the case.

Furthermore, just because the failure of my company affects many stories negatively doesn't mean it cannot happen. All of our stories affect each other's, that is why we are a RP community, not solo writers.

P.S. I never said no to the SS1, it is currently armed with weapons from my company. That was me being nice after you literally came into the 188604 plot and displaced me. To this date no matter how many times you have screwed me over and pushed me out of the picture I have not once gone back on my promise to let you two use my wiki pages.

EDIT: Also, nobody else gave me this idea, you will find that I come up with 90% of my own material on a regular basis. It was Zack that didn't want Howard Station to fall on his planet, thus the need to come up with an equally catastrophic result for my company.

OOC: Were the plot plans posted in the GM forum in advance? If so, then the events of this thread can stand. If not, I will retcon only if there's a case that one of the actual player rights were violated, or if someone auto'd something they shouldn't have. Note that player rights primarily pertain to player characters and players, not to setting elements like businesses, and that faction rights are only applicable to playable factions with GMed plots. Note: For official SARP purposes, discussions in external channels like Discord aren't really admissible evidence.

OOC:
No is the answer but it's fine, I'm just amazed nobody thought to tell me what was happening.

I'm glad we actually got someone who has authority to make the decision in here. I'm glad this is sorted one way or the other.

It's going to be interesting writing a reaction to this chain of events and seeing how badly it'll affect Section 6 and such. Now I think about it USO is so far from Yamatai this isn't going to affect IIS' standing in the slightest. Business as usual elsewhere.

OOC: all of the discussions have been on Discord so I can only hope my fellow players are honorable, and I think they are. Basically the entire concept behind FSC was for it to be used by the players of 188604. Eth brought IIS in as direct competition to the manufacturing branch of FSC, the same company that manages the planet's currency conversion and makes the Arkmark valuable. 160 million KS just left the economy of a small nation and as a result the privately owned bank can no longer convert the currency because it is now out of convertible denominations. The bank is out of money so the Arkmark is now valueless until the bank can afford to reopen.

I doubt anyone will refute the fact that I have been saying for a while that the station is coming down by Year's End as a result of player neglect. I said that before Jack spent a ton of money. Zack decided he doesn't want me to crash the station so again, this is my compromise.

It's a simple case of corporate competition, in this case IIS won and has successfully put FSC out of business. Now the dying shell is left to pick up the pieces.

TL;DR Eth hurt me, now I'm bleeding out. I have had to watch all year as everyone neglected my creation, now everyone is upset that it's an ugly death.

Well, the government might be able to come to Yamatai or some other stable government for assistance, loans, etc.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back