• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Edel Datapad Assistant

Re: Azorean Translator Earbud

Well... I don't think there is any reason why this tech shouldn't be approved.

How's it work? What powers it? What does the translation?

If it's electrical, how does it work underwater?

Hm... Sorry, I was busy for most of the weekend. I'll have to get back to you on that one, Wes.

It could be powered by a really small hydrogen cell, but in current real life tech, that is impossible. I'd figure that the Azoreans could invent a smaller cell, but I'm not sure. I've also been thinking of using bacteria that eats sugar to produce electricity. Which would make it more plausible? A simple linguistic AI could find words and phrases and translate them as the sound passes through the ear. If I used normal batteries, it'd have to be air-tight and constructed in one of the unflooded areas in the citystate.

Sound-powered? *muses on this* So, it hears a sound and is activated/powered with the vibrations of the sound?

Oh! You mean like the principles of a crystal radio, but with actual sound instead of radio waves?

I've never heard of the crystal radio before, but I guess that is what Ex might be basing his suggestion off of? I'll have to look into it more..

Because Wes and Sub won't let me use a form of Durandium for my species. Thus, titanium is a very abundantly used material. I guess that it could be made out of mostly carbon tubing instead to be a bit more comfortable..

Why would you want to make a piece of personal equipment out of starship armor anyway? Durandium is an armor type, not just a material.

Hm... good point. Probably because it is one of the only materials they have to use. Not having access to certain materials means that you have to adapt. In real life, soldiers used to wear heavy metal armor before lighter flak vests were invented, and even then, if they didn't have access to that metal, they would have to use leather or something. Does this help my point? ^^;

1) You want to be building this out of plastics. Titanium expands when it grows cold and leaves "burns" if it's against your skin for prolonged periods (this is why you never see titanium jewelry but you do see titanium alloys).
It is however, highly resilient to corrosion, very light and quite strong so it might be ideal provided you use like an aluminum/plastic based paint over it.
A lot of people think titanium is super strong but in truth, it's probably only 4 times stronger than most common composite iron alloys. The real strength is that for the same WEIGHT and SPACE it can be a lot stronger, it just has to be a lot denser.

2) It doesn't even need to be a complex computer with software and an operating system!
It could just be a neural gateway mechanism built out of cultured cells or well refined conductive crystal pathways, similar to integrated silicone circuits on chips that chemically shift.
How they're educated, however, would have to be very simple unless the device is a system that piggy-backs the neural work of the user using something like magnetones or binural beats and subliminal versing (bio-feedback). Scary.

3) Power source? The options are immense. The two particularly popular micro-power sources that are growing popular are chemical batteries (an issue, but with a restoration mechanism like heat & light, could be feasible for long-term) and nuclear. Nuclear does not constitute uranium specifically:
Hafnium is popular because if you apply a weak microwave charge, it becomes highly active, it's half-life moving from practically inert to about 7 minutes. The math says 60 grams could power a fighter-jet on the heat and electricity alone for about a week of combat performance so one gram would be more than ample for a life time's supply of electrical energy to something like that device if coupled with a capacitor or battery mechanism. Best of all, the halflife only applies to the atoms the microwaves actually reach, so if they're at the right frequency and weak, you can get a highly regulated and controlled decay, ideal for something like this.
Hafnium when not "activated" is so inert and safe, you can rub it into your skin and even eat it with no ill effects long-term provided no microwaves penetrate your skin to activate it. The only issue is it's expensive (ie, unperfected) but the technology is extremely efficient, requiring less energy to shift the half-life and make the stuff useful.
The real strength of Hafnium is it's losing electrons at a stable controllable rate so you can hook up electrodes to it and use it as a live battery (unlike Uranium, which is functional at all times and therefor quite dangerous and is only able to function as a battery cathode as Uranium Dioxide within the bounds of known science).

Sorry to scare you with this big wall of text :3

Mmm true, plastic and aluminum based paints would work. But honestly? I'd go with a plastic/ceramic composite, or maybe a high strength plastic for the casing as an option as well. Lightweight, strong if done correctly, water tight if need be, and it won't "burn" like Titanium will against your skin in cold. Maybe even interweave some carbon nano-fibers (provided your people have the capability) into it to provide even more strength and resilience to damage.

Hm... I thought about plastics, but I am not sure... What are plastics made out of? I don't quite understand about the neural gateway.. is it kind of like an augmentation of sorts? I was just thinking of using hydrogen cells, although it could be strange to have produced water streaming out of it during negotiations..

Edit: Wiki updated. What do you think now?

Blarg... I was hoping to find it in plain English, but oh well... I don't think that they have the materials to create plastics. The carbon tubing will work fine for now, I think.

Uhm... Fay.

If you can make rubber or paper, you can ultra-condense either and make bio-plastics (materials which act like plastic) by making them more ridged and less likely to crack by weaving them.

All plastic really is, is carefully arranged biological material that's condensed and weaved.

Usually we use plant-pulp or oil. Pour it into a mold, harden it, condition and polish it and you're all done.

I see. Paper is hard to sustain underwater, unfortunately, but I know what you mean.

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question: What if I start this tech out as a PDA/datapad, then upgrade it later into various stages until it becomes an earbud?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…