• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: SRSS Yggdrasill Encounter! Enter the Sourcian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serenity was shaking like a leaf, and for a girl her size, that was pretty big. Her whimpers became louder as the long absent Berog wandered over to his mistress, crying out for protection as he slipped underneath her, staring up at Remi with big wide eyes.

The Helashio had covered her head and ears now, saying something in gibberish Lorath that couldn't even be understandable even to another Helashio.

Remi couldn't help but pity her. The doctor pursed her lips; looking down to see the furry little Berog. Her pet? Wondering as she inched closer now. Slowly she reached out a hand to Serenity placing it on her head, and gently stroked the woman's hair. Still speaking to her in Lorath.

~"Its alright, don't be afraid,"~ The doctor tried to keep her voice soothing. Inwardly she sighed a little.

Toshiro's eyes widened.

"...1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 11 are the first six Prime Numbers...I've heard that races with no established standard of communication use those numbers as an indication of intelligent life which has attained a certain mathematical level, though the use of 1 isn't constant...but the signal is cut off..."

He continued to think, standing in the center of the bridge, before reseating himself in the Captain's Chair.

"Move in closer to the vessel, Ken. Lain, please broadcast on the same radio frequency as the unknown entity in the same format the next six Prime Numbers; 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, and 31...meanwhile, send a communication via Subspace to the Lorath, notifying them of what has happened thus far. I'll make a passive scan of the vessel, to try and determine the extent of the damage..."

Toshiro did as he stated, making a passive scan, merely observing any radiant energy signals or obvious damage to get an estimate. Making an active scan would require the emission of a signal, and the vessel may or may not respond negatively to being actively probed.

Feeling the connection between herself and Remi, even if only a physical one, Serenity instantly dove closer to her, burying her face in the doctor's lap. It wasn't to long before Remi would feel a wetness in her lap from Serenity crying.

The little Berog with her squealed a little as he was pushed around, flailing a little in his now stuck position between Serenity's legs. After a moment of righting himself, her settled in just between her knees, his head pressed deeper towards her calves.

Entire minutes passed and floating space-hulk did little more than provide a meal of confusion for the Yggdrasill's sensors and echo what it received. And then it responded, sending an immense 9 million digit number in a compressed data algorithm that unpacked to reveal itself as 2^32582657-1, a processor assembler packet following with a set of simple programming instructions as it now filled white noise through every psionics channel available to it.

The doctor gave a little squeak at the sudden dampness on her dress. However, this did not deter her from what she was doing. Remi just whispered soothing words to the Helashio, keeping up the stroking of her hair.

~"It's ok...we're fine. See? Nothing happened. The ship just shook a little."~

Toshiro gave a small gasp as he felt white noise where he normally felt telepathic contact...

"...Try sending that output back. I can't think of anything else to try...Have we been able to raise the Lorath yet?"

Serenity seemed to grip her all the more tightly, whimpering louder now. She had remembered one to many times when she thought the worse of it was over, it only got worse.

The small pet Berog didn't have such memories. Finally feeling the ship settle, the little guy squirmed from his position and around to Remi's side, giving her a few cute little barks.

Shaun was still focusing on the space around the ship. He found it strange that the ship was only disabled before the other one simply vanished. "Don't take your eyes off space Eve....I don't like this"

Eve continued to scan the space around the ship "Will do" she replied.

Remi felt the girl cling more, and looked down to the little Berog. "I know...your mistress is upset." She said to the little creature. Doubtful it would understand.

With her free hand the doctor fumbled around in a pocket; while she kept trying her hardest to console the Helashio. After a few minutes she found what she was looking for. A handkerchief, gently the neko cupped Serenity's chin, and brought the whimpering girl's head up to her level. Softly she began to pat the handkerchief on her tear stained cheeks.

~"There there, we're fine...ok?"~ Remi was a little concerned for her now, and it showed as she kept dabbing the cloth trying to wipe away tears.

Kairi arrived in the bridge, finally. It appeared she had been through something-or-other; her hair was ruffled and she had a small bruise on her face.

"Uuu... Toshi-kun, what's the situation? There was a loud noise, then I was on the floor passed out... I think the ship shook."

(OOC: Sorry for the absence, I was in the mental hospital. More later)

The titanic body continued adrift. Its surface flickered blue three times. The white noise fell into solidarity and meaning: It was both angry and frightened at its loss, utterly unable to move.

"...It's scared..."

Toshiro replied, sighing in his chair before contacting the medbay.

"...Miyoshi-hakase...as a former member of the Star Army, I request that you make yourself present on the bridge...I have a possible First Contact scenario up here, and there aren't any Star Army or Lorath vessels in sight at the moment, amazingly...we may have to initiate in their stead if we can't get through to Lor. I need your knowledge of Star Army protocol."

Remi was still wiping away tears as Toshiro's voice came over the medbay comms. She listened, and sighed a little.

~"I have to go to the bridge ok? Don't worry I'll be back."~ The doctor stroked Serenity's hair one more time before getting up and exiting the medbay. Not knowing the layout of the vessel; it took her abit to get to the bridge.

Once there, her were hands inside the labcoat pockets. "Alright I'm here captain, but I'm no trained diplomat, I'll do what I can however..." Calling as she walked over to where he was at.

"I would like to see any data pertaining to whatever it is, sensor data, communications, anything. Also, stay in an unthreatening posture, no sudden movements or anything. However, if things turn sour be ready to retreat." Her gaze locked onto Toshiro as she spoke.

"Shields are ok, and are seen as a defensive measure. Weapons however will remain offline or in standby. I'm also going to need you to tell me what all has happened."

Toshiro nodded, swiveling the panel over to her...

"It is unidentified, and was in a harsh battle right in front of us....weapons-wise both ignored us. This one was on the defensive, the aggressor damaging it and escaping...it seems to have radio and telepathic manipulation capabilities, and can mess with our scans..."

He continued to speak.

"The unit since began to transmit simple code for 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 11, repeating, trying to establish contact with us. Recognizing the prime numbers, I transmitted back 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, and 31. It then transmitted a coded algorhythm of a VERY fine calculation of pi, which we've returned...it's scared and upset, it seems...those of us with telepathy can sense it easily...we've been trying to contact the Lorath for a while now, but it can block subspace signals, and we don't want to mess with radio more than needed...I think it uses radar, of all things, to navigate, and using radio to contact anyone other than it specifically could be considered an effort to manipulate its sensors...a hostile act...and that thing could blow us away easily."

As if on cue with Toshiro's words, the subspace and radio jamming dropped into perfect silence as if it knew it was interfering with Toshiro's operations rather than defending itself by making itself harder to scan.

Remi merely nodded; letting him know she listened as the doctor looked at the display.

"It could be that it is trying to test us. To see if we are capable of a response..." She stroked her chin in thought.

She merely nodded. "Are you trying to tell me the ship itself is sentient? Judging from what you said, it being upset, and scared..." The neko was pondering aloud now. "Alright...send it a message, use mathematical code, base two binary or base sixteen hex code. Try and reassure it we mean it no harm, and are peaceful."

Remi moved her hair hanging over her left eye behind an ear.

"If it is indeed sentient, calming it down would be advisable. It might help to convey a sense of calm and peaceful intent via telepathy... I don't know...this is all very new to me. It could be dangerous to try that, but you are the captain and it is your call."

Toshiro nodded, thoughtfully contemplating the information given, and noticing communications were open.

"Well...we'll try both, since it initiated contact in both formats...let me compile a message...and also send interpreters and maybe data on our language...then perhaps it can respond in plain text or something...meanwhile you can try the telepathy."

He put together a packet to send, with Japanese and English language data, binary and hex decoders/encoders, and the same message in binary and hex...he kept it simple...

This is the SRSS Yggdrasill. We mean you no harm. We see you are hurt. What do you need? Can you reply?

He then sent this message, and endeavored to contact the Star Army and the Lorath on subspace, to inform them of the situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back