• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Senbu Ep 13.9 - Downtime: A chat at The Scarlet Cat |Mini-JP|

Status
Not open for further replies.

5tar

ON: YSS Senbu

The Anri-class Deep Space Repair vessel was firstly an engineering ship before anything else, and even though the Senbu had shifted its focus to being more of a armor carrier, the ship was still crewed by over 2500, and 1700 of those members were in engineering. So it comes to no surprise that the ship was always cluttered with various engineering enlistees. Today, in the lounge, which was lovingly named The Scarlet Cat by the warrant officer who requested to administrate it, a small group from the Senbu's 3rd Engineering Unit were sitting around a table with fresh drinks just placed in front of them. The lounge was relaxed today with a nice assortment of generic piano jazz playing in the background and the soft hum of everyday conversations permeated the room.

Jôtô Hei Hirado Fusae was a Nekovalkyrja who’d served the four years since her creation aboard font-line combat vessels. When she’d been assigned to the Senbu, she felt almost insulted that someone of her experience was being shuffled off to a rear-echelon ship. But once the Neko had voiced her concerns to the Shosa during the interview process and she’d seen what it was that the commander intended to do with the ship, she settled down and happily accepted her placement. Although tall for a Neko, she wasn’t too tall to pilot a power armor, of course, and had brilliant gray eyes that had a circle of black around the iris. Her straight dark brown hair fell to just below her shoulder blades and she wore her bangs across her forehead and tucked over her left ear. She had a pretty face with sharp features and a tight, athletic build, but almost never made the most of these qualities. Even though she no longer worked directly with equipment, she preferred to wear an old, stained engineering jumpsuit and a utility belt over the more flattering options available to her.

Another Neko, Shoi Inoue Rina, sat nearby, wearing a slightly stained, but otherwise well-kept officer's uniform. Her figure was short, closer to the low end of average height. She had (amusingly) almost mousy features, with red-orange hair tied into a fairly simple ponytail and glimmering amber eyes. Her physique was a bit less overtly athletic than Fusae's, but even so, she was no slouch. And there was at least one multitool in the officer's uniform's pockets. But as to her story? Rina was once a frontline engineer, keeping ships in the 1XF in working order, and was at least marginally decorated from the wars with the Mishhu. Her 6 years of service were admittedly not storied, but they were dedicated, and she had gotten something of a reputation for being harder to stop than the very warships she worked on. Hard-headed in the face of adversity, full of grit, and pretty damn energetic to boot, she could have been an engineer-hero... if not for the fact that she was left on a ship that mostly protected the logistics fleets. Eventually, the one time she saw a full-scale fleet battle, the ship she served aboard, the Shugoryuu, was destroyed in battle. Following that, Rina transferred back to a starbase, and then a few months ago, to the Senbu.

Also sitting with the two was a fresh-faced young Neko who was only recently assigned to Fusae's unit, the obviously greenest of the bunch was there in between the higher ranking engineers with a mixed drink; a Yuriko to be specific. She was only two months older then the Senbu itself, so the Nitô Hei had taken to sticking to Fusae's side in order to learn more about the ship. She was a small and slender NH-29 Nekovalkyrja with long yellow-blonde hair, pulled up into two cute Chinese style buns on either side of her head, tied down with elastics which had plastic stars on them. Her bangs loosely hanging above her large pink colored eyes which were still full of that precociousness associated to her age. Yamada Chiyoko was an adorable one and took to wearing the 1XF Female Jumpsuit Uniform.

"Ne ne, Inoue-san... is it true that the Shosa pilots a Mindy when we're in combat?" Chiyoko asked curiously, as she never thought that anyone of higher administration did anything more than just that; administrate. She leaned forward on her seat in anticipation of the answer, lightly holding the front edge with both three fingered hands.

Masako leaned back against her seat and quietly sipped on her half full glass of fruit juice and looked over at the Neko sitting at a nearby table, nodding to them in greeting, but didn't say much as her nose was in her glass. She'd put it down and wave politely to them. "Hello."

Rina nodded swiftly, swirling her glass of sake in her palm as she did so. "Mmmyup, Yamada-hei. Heard of it before – hell, I've seen the section orders for the people that fix her power armor." Then, a voice made her turn, and she glanced out, trying to get a bead on the person... identifying, categorizing... Hey wait. "Aren't you part of Pride Wing?"

“Yeah, I remember seeing her outside of Pride Wing’s armor bay after the battle,” Fusae said in a hushed tone after leaning closer into the table.

"Indeed I am," Masako said, sipping her juice again. "I think I'm the last of us to remain in here because I'm not drinking alcohol," she chuckled. "Nitô Hei Sakiyurai Masako at your service."

Rina nodded again, making some kind of genial, wide gesture with her hand. "Ah, then! Shoi Inoue Rina, of the 3rd Engineering. There's also Jôtô Hei Hirado Fusae and Nitô Hei Yamada Chiyoko here today – also part of the 3rd. How did your training go?"

"Woooah, sugoi!" The young Neko exclaimed in response to the idea of the Shosa in combat, out there fighting the baddies of the Empire. "Oh, what about the XO Geshrin? I hear he got a two rank promotion. Do you think he-" She quickly snapped her jaw shut and put a hand over her mouth as she realized that one of the Shosa's own Pride Wing was close by. She bowed her head as she was named in the introductions, saying a hushed sort of "pleased to meet you."

“A pleasure, I’m sure,” Fusae said dryly, her warm smile not matching her tone as she acknowledged her introduction to Masako. Her ears twitched as she did a double-take at something off past their immediate area; she sat facing the lounge’s entrance. “Why don’t you ask him about his promotion, Chiyoko-san?” she asked, playfully pushing the girl’s shoulder as if to push her out of her seat. “From what I’ve heard, I’m sure he’d be more than willing to tell you exactly the way things are,” she teased as Nicholas and Shizuka entered the room and made their way to a booth along one of the back walls.

Of course, at all of this, the Shoi rolled her eyes, taking a swig from her drink, with a strange halfway grin. "Let them have their fun, eh? It's fair for all the time they spend working together... Things just have a way of happening, you know? Like none of you have ever looked at some tech with sparkly little eyes before! Besides, he handled the ambush fairly well."

Masako nodded to the commanders and watched for a moment, wondering for a moment about why they seemed to be avoiding them.

Chiyoko bobbed back and forth on her seat and timidly glanced over at Nicholas, avoiding any sort of eye contact. "He looks scary..." she said in a quiet tone before turning her eyes quickly to her drink as she thought he may have noticed her. Then she realized something, and glanced up at Rina with a sly little smirk and a coy look on her face. "Oooh, does this mean that Inoue-san has set her eyes on someone? Maybe that pilot Jack as they call him. I hear he's popular with the pilot girls!"

It was Rina's turn to suddenly react as she stammered out a reply. "Wha? No, no, not... Not him! I..." She shook her head a bit, and tried to put the bluster back on. "If I already had my eyes on someone you'd know!"

"Ah I see, it's nice to meet you," Masako said and glanced over and giggled softly at the Nekos' friendly bantering over who-likes-who. "Honestly? It sucked. I made a mistake of going melee when range was needed, got called "crazy' and "relentless" by the Gold Wing members," she chuckled in response to Rina’s earlier question.

Rina tilted her head back and forth and back again and smirked. "I'm familiar with being called relentless! Come on, that just means that you don't lay down and quit when the going gets rough! Relentlessness can save lives if ya know when to do it."

"You never charged headlong into a charged aether shot holding a giant sword and using aether projectors to deflect it to try and get in that one hit....have ya?" Masako grinned at her, relaxing and opening up a bit more. "But you're right. Usually if an enemy is after an injured comrade and you need to keep them away till your friend can escape."

Rina got a wider grin. "And I bet you haven't gotten inside an arcing, sputtering CFS generator while under enemy fire, either!" She laughed, though, and heartily enough that she had to put down her drink. "At least you have spunk!"

Masako laughed, brushing her hair out of her eyes. "You're right, I haven't. Up until a week ago I was an ordinary groundpounder," the busty blonde Neko admitted. "And I'll take that as a compliment! But seriously, you engineers are the heart of this ship and what it does; we soldiers are just here to kick ass and take names. Half of us could look at an engine schematic like a Nepleslian in an etiquette class."

"Ano... Sakiyurai-sama," Chiyoko began, denoting the big breasted Nitô Hei as a superior. "Do you think that Kuriko-heisho and Mizu-heisho would let me take a picture with them?" She was like most other adolescent Neko, created to serve the army and thus she had a strong adoration for prestigious members of the military.

"Hmm?" Masako looked over at Chiyoko and blushed at the suffix and waved her hand slightly. "You don't have to call me that..." she started. "They probably would, but not right now. Kuriko's still kind of bummed out from falling into the trap in the simulation... and I haven't seen Mizu-heisho anywhere," Masako said and stood up noticing that her glass was empty. "Speaking of which, I should probably head on out too, it's getting a li’l late for me," she said and bowed to them politely. "It was nice meeting you," she said, laying her empty glass on the counter.

END

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back