• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Senbu Ep 16.5 - Downtime: Untimely Meditations |Mini-JP|

Status
Not open for further replies.

raz

SAINT Director
🌟 Site Supporter
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
ON: YSS Senbu

It had been about an hour since the members of the Pride Wing had gone their separate ways. Onboard the Senbu, it had only taken about half that time for the new rumors concerning Pride Wing's members to circulate, since nearly half the crew were in and out of the medical facility during the events. Every now and then Shin could swear that Nekos were whispering back and forth giggling at him, and when they realized he was watching, they would look away and try to pretend that he wasn't the subject of their conversation. It had just settled down again when Mai strode up to Shin and went through her normal series of checks. "Good news, Nekki-hei. You're being discharged from the medbay for now, but you are to come back in tomorrow for a checkup and are not to overexert yourself in any way," Mai said as she unhooked the IV from Shin.

Shin yawned sleepily, looking up at the medic. "Ah, thank you Fuse-hei. I was starting to think I would be in here much longer." He smiled, getting up off the bed. "Oh, right, your data pad." Shin handed the Hei's data pad to her, stretching out the cramps he still had. It feels damn good to be off that bed.

Mai smiled as she accepted Shin's data pad. "Thank you, Nekki-hei," Mai said as she took the equipment from Shin. "Well, I have other people to attend to," Mai said before bowing, "If you'll excuse me." The Hei darted off after she was done speaking.

Coincidences. An illusion created by circumstances. Every chance meeting could have been actually intended, simply existent in the natural patters of the Way... Whatever. As it so happened, Hiroko was finishing double-checking her bruises and other assorted wounds at the exact same time that Shin was leaving. so she commented back, "...Feeling better?..."

In her quarters, Sakaki laid out on her bed, still in uniform, thinking about those who had lost the fight in the battle against the pirates. While many had Soul Transfer backups, none of the Pride Wing had one and probably their lives could have ended and lost to the footmarks of history. If I was made for war, would I still be in Pride Wing or would I be just another war machine like those in the infirmary? Or maybe I would just... She placed her hand on her head to stop her thoughts, it wasn't a subject she wanted to think about. Pride Wing needs unity, but how am I supposed to help that? She turned to her side with furrowed brows, as recent events has made her be more open.

She laid out on her stomach looking at her Hanako and Lion stuffed toys. Shin-san seems to be close to prying open my true self, though I don't think I am ready to show that, not to anyone. Though I respect Masako-san and Hiroko-san the most, and Shizuka-sama... she looked over at the Lion doll and imaged her as a lion blasting out of the ship to escape the explosion and her doom, a cute lion giving a great roar refusing to die. Shizuka-sama tremendous skill, something I wish to obtain myself in time. Over time the Neko tired herself of thinking and decided to commence affirmative action and removed her uniform for a shower. Afterwards, she put on an old light-blue kimono she used before leaving her old home and left her room. She wanted to continue her martial arts training, but not after she had some green tea made from the sprites in the mess.

Back in the medbay, Shin turned towards Hiroko, smiling at her. "I'm feeling great, actually. That piece of Nepleslian junk barely even scratched me." Shin stretched, showing that he wasn't in any pain. "You know, I've never actually gotten around to apologizing to you for my outburst on the shuttle, so I just want to take this time to do so."

Hiroko... blinked, but shrugged with a loose flop of her hair. "Hum. I thought you had already. Either way, accepted. So now what do you intend to do?"

Shin thought for a second, smiling. "Well, since I just got out, I figured I would take you out to lunch. I'll pay, up for it?" It would be hard to Hiroko to resist, with Shin being nice and all.

Silence... a pause... blink. "...You what." The questioning tone wasn't even there; Hiroko was just... slightly taken aback. "...Mhh. Fine."

"Wait, you said yes?" Shin thought this over, running through his mind why would anyone, much less Ishida-Hei, not object to going out to lunch with him. "That's pretty awesome. To be honest, I thought you would say no." He shrugged, bowing to Hiroko and taking her hand, leading her to the lunch room.

Hiroko... while she walked beside him, immediately pulled back her hand. She was asocial but she wasn't stupid. "It's a free lunch." She... didn't want to think of the rumor mill. Even she had heard of things about the Shosa...

Shin just shrugged, walking alongside Hiroko. "So, how was your checkup?"

Hiroko turned and shrugged. "I was... the burns and marks have mostly receded." She moved calmly and softly.

Shin smiled. "That's nice. Though, I have been getting complaints from other squad members. Namely Saruwatari-hei. It seems that he has a crush on you. He wants to get to know you better, but he's shy about it." Shin lied, still trying to help out his friend and roommate

Hiroko quirked a brow at him and even tilted her head. Another flop of hair. "Really. I didn't necessarily see that from him. I don't necessarily see him, period. He makes himself scarce too often."

Masako would sit in the enlisted lounge and drink her chocolate milk off at a table to herself. She wallowed for a bit in her own emotions and tried to force them back with the help of the sweet treat she had in front of her. It was slowly starting to work, at least. But the blonde still felt lonely where she was.

Sakaki arrived in the mess wearing her light-blue kimono, now probably the only time she had been out of uniform, and ordered for green tea. She noticed Masako but just politely ignored her for now as the well-endowed Neko seemed to be brooding over something. The black haired Neko who was not as well-endowed as her companion, sat at a table behind Masako and began to sip her green tea.

Nicholas arrived in the lounge, blithely chatting to Kuriko as he walked. He’d scolded the Nekovalkyrja, setting her straight about his relationship with Shizuka, at least with what he wanted to tell, and had insisted that she not speak with him – or with anyone for that matter – about it again. Once the Taii was satisfied with the stern words that he’d said to her, he more cordially suggested that they get some refreshments and discuss more serious matters, such as her progress and success (or lack thereof) with regards to being Pride Wing’s commander in the field.

Masako sensed Nick and Kuriko walking into the lounge but kept her back to them where she was half hiding in a shadow and nursing her still-cold milk. "Seems like everyone knows how to relax and have fun except me..."

Kuriko decided not to tartly respond that sharing Nicholas's personal information would be a breach of doctor-patient confidentiality, and that she wouldn't do so anyway. Nevertheless, the 'agreed' with Nicholas. Of course, that only meant that she said the words that he wanted to hear while reveling in the fact that she had smashed the nail on the head. Kuriko walked silently alongside Nicholas as she awaited his review of her performance, though she did notice Masako sitting off by herself in a corner. Fearing no repercussion from the telepathically incapable Taii, Kuriko spoke telepathically with the Hei. "Masako, are you ok?" Kuriko asked the Neko.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, I'm ok... I'm just confused as what to feel. I’m sad over the losses we had, proud that we managed to pull that off, but still feeling bad that I'd been so... callous toward everyone," Masako said and tilted her glass up as she blatantly gulped down most of it and set the glass down and licked her lips of the milk. "Fact is, Kuriko, I’m just lost right now."

Kuriko's face subconsciously changed from her super-happy, blissful smile, to a warmer smile for Masako, even though she couldn't see it. "I know how you feel. The past is passed, focus on now. Being sad won't help, though don't forget them; they were our comrades after all. As for where to go from here, I can't tell you. That's something you need to think about," Kuriko responded. If Nicholas were paying any attention to the Heisho's face, he would either assume she was talking or just making weird faces for the fun of it. "Perhaps we should sit over here," Kuriko indicated the table at which Masako was sitting while sending an invite to Sakaki. "Care to join us?" Kuriko offered pleasantly.

“If that is fine with you, Heisho,” Nicholas replied. Although he’d intended to talk with Kuriko about some important matters, he decided that it would be a good opportunity to observe her leadership in action before he commented on it. Perhaps the earlier spiteful display between the members of her wing had been an anomaly.

"But I heard that they mostly had backups ready so there's no sense in being sad really is there...?" Masako asked, starting to brighten up a bit and glanced over at her and smiled some. "Oh hi, Kuriko-heisho, Saiga-taii," she said and waved to them.

The vermillion haired Yamataian shook his head. "Ah, this is never going to work. You are both so shy, how am I going to get you two on a date like this?" Shin walked into the mess, noticing Masako, Sakaki, Kuriko, and Saiga-taii. This is going to be fun. Operation Sacred Band is go!

Hiroko blinked at the taller man. "...Shy? Date? What insane plan do you have in mind?"

Shin was grinning happily right now. "Oh, hey, it’s Shifuda-heisho. We should sit over there!" Shin briskly walked over to the rest of his squad, smiling

With a sigh, Hiroko followed the random, impulsive squad mate of hers a bit more, muttering under her breath as she softly pulled out a chair and sat straight down. "At least it's Shifuda-heisho..." But then, a glance over at them, a smile. Silence.

Ushimo-hei stood up and moved to respectable distance and bowed to her commanders, then bowed to Hiroko and her companion, then took a seat next to Masako so that she could be divided up from Shin at least in one direction. Her thinking was that Masako was going though some kind of turmoil, and probably didn't need more right now.

Shin grinned, his plan going into motion. "Kuriko-heisho. I know that you'll eventually want to talk to me and Rin about our "relationship." We've all heard the rumors going around the ship, and we should nip it in the bud before it blossoms into a deadly web of deadly thorns."

Masako shifted and leaned gently on Sakaki, privately enjoying the warmth of being close to her and smiled a bit. "It may not seem like much, but thanks, Sakaki," she said softly into her friend's ear and sighed, affectionately leaning against her gently.

Hiroko glanced around, wondering what was going on exactly. They were sitting here... and... sitting here. Ah well. Of course, she wasn't really listening in on the more active telepathic conversation, though Masako sure looked, ah, cuddly.

Kuriko returned Sakaki's bow before sitting down. "And why would we do that?" Kuriko asked Shin verbally, not in the least bit interested in terminating a relationship that Rin wanted to continue. Kuriko glanced to Masako before mentally noting what she was doing. Huh, I wouldn't have expected that, Kuriko thought as she added that bit to her info on Masako. "Would anybody like something to eat?" Kuriko volunteered.

Shin sat down in the nearest chair, crossing his legs under him. "To be honest, I think Rin is beautiful, and a wonderful person. But I’m pretty sure she merely thinks of me as a nuisance, nothing more, nothing less. So, could you try to check out who’s behind all these rumors, in order to at least get them to stop?"

Hiroko tilted her head. "Eat?... How are the noodle soups today?"

“That would be excellent, Shifuda-heisho. Some sashimi would be wonderful,” Nicholas said, having returned all greetings with a modest nod and taken a seat. “I am confident that this service will work out better than the last you offered me,” he said in a playful, sarcastic tone that mimicked great seriousness, referring to her attempt to have a psychological counseling session with him. The Geshrin was still getting used to being a commander so was testing a more friendly approach to dealing with his subordinates, as he’d seen other officers do during his career.

Sakaki glanced at Masako and nodded and continued drinking her tea with her right hand as her left shoulder was now preoccupied. “To be alone is a weakness, even I need a friend, Masako-san,” she telepathically whispered to Masako. Then raised her free arm and said, “Ramen-Udon,” then continued as she was.

Hiroko raised another brow as she looked around the room. While she got herself a nice soba, the indigo-haired pilot looked over the whole table as if to analyze everything there... What... is this? I feel like suddenly there's a massive coinciden– no. Not coincidence. There's suddenly an overflowing of... suspicious romancing. Curious...

Kuriko nodded as she accepted each person's order. Nicholas's remark made the Neko’s nose flare angrily a little as she wondered how she could get back at him while still being innocent and safe from riposte. "All right, be right back!" Kuriko said as she stood up to go get the food from the serving area.

The Heisho shortly returned with everybody’s order except for Nicholas's. Instead, the Neko had a preserved bentobag for Nicholas. "Sumimasen Saiga-taii, but due to the combat, the coolers were shut down and the fish spoiled. I didn't quite know what you wanted so I got you a bentobag instead," Kuriko said offering the freeze-dried meal bag which displayed "just add water!" as well as the Star Army logo all over it. "And here you all go," Kuriko said as she passed out each person's meal before finally sitting down in front of her own plate which had several rolls of sushi with fish on the inside.

“Ah, I see,” Nicholas replied, sounding somewhat disappointed but not overly so. “Thank you for your effort,” he said, not noticing that her own plate included fresh seafood. The Taii wouldn’t touch the bentobag, instead letting it sit in front of him; he wasn’t particularly hungry at this point, and was sure that Shizuka would want to eat later anyway. For now, he would simply watch the group of soldiers interact, looking for any signs of improved camaraderie.

“Arigato, Shifuda-heisho,” thanked Sakaki for the food. She then announced, “Ittadakimasu!” and began to heat her Ramen-Udon.

"As far as I know, Nekki-hei, there are no rumors. Besides, how would I be able to stop them if there were? I'm only one person," Kuriko finally responded, eager to hear what these 'rumors' actually were, and eager to compare them to the truth as well. "Perhaps you should speak your feelings to Rin." Kuriko suggested, meaning both his actual feelings as well as his feelings about the rumors, but attempting to be vague to the Hei.

Shin grumbled, losing his smile. "Shifuda-heisho, I'm not going to tell Rin that I like her. To do so would be extremely stupid a ra– I'm speaking completely out loud, aren't I?" He looked around and promptly took off his glasses, tucking them into his shirt.

Hiroko... just quirked a brow at Shin, gave a very subtle smirk, something of a “You think that's such a slip. I laugh at your own self-valuation” message. Well, as best as he could recognize that. Then... she bowed slightly and began eating again.

Having had a brief nap in her quarters to shake off the tiredness that had hit her following recent events, Rin awoke with a stretch and decided it was time to indulge her stomach next. Fighting sure worked up one's appetite, and she couldn't sleep soundly like this with an unsettled pallet. And so the Hei slipped back into her form-fitting duty uniform set and walked calmly toward the mess hall, pondering her own mental checklist of things she needed to get done now that events seemed to be settling down at last.

"And why would it be disrespectful?" Kuriko asked, if Nekki-hei felt comfortable enough discussing it openly then she had no need to hide the conversation either. "I would think discussing your feelings with her would be even less disrespectful than bringing it up like this behind her back," Kuriko said offhandedly.

"Because I’m afraid of her getting pissed at me, and ruining any chances I have of getting close to her!" Shin threw his hands up, exasperated. "I don’t really understand women, and I don't mean anything sexist by that. I just didn’t have much contact with the fairer sex during my childhood.

"And she won't get angry if she finds out you've been talking about her behind her back?" Kuriko asked Shin. "If you like her, think about how she'd react then do what you think is best. It doesn't take a genius to do that," Kuriko said as she nibbled on one of the sushi pieces. "Saiga-Taii, you haven't even touched your bentobag, are you feeling okay?" Kuriko glanced around the table and noted everyone present; it was around then that she noticed Sakaki's attire. "That's a nice kimono, Ushimo-hei," Kuriko said to Sakaki telepathically. It was also around that time when the Heisho realized she was still wearing her glasses, and taking her free hand the Heisho slipped the frames off and folded them back up before replacing them in her pocket.

“I seem to have not been as hungry as I thought, Shifuda-heisho,” Nicholas said back to her truthfully. He’d only really ordered so that he could snack on something, and since he was unable to get what he wanted, chose not to eat. “I will save it for another time.”

Hiroko leaned back, now watching Shin. What was he thinking? Rin? But... Hoshitomo-hei was cold like ice, or so Hiroko felt. Were she possessed of more perceptiveness, Hiroko may have even appreciated the irony of thinking that. But she said nothing.

Shin sighed, holding his face in his palm. "Fine. I'll go tell Rin how I feel about her next chance I get. Promise." Shin held his head up, smiling.

Sakaki nodded toward her commander for the compliment, and then just kept herself outside of the conversation. The Neko was reminding herself to retrieve her sword from her power armor as she forgot all about the taped-up sword when heading to the medical bay.

Kuriko shrugged. "I'm not going to force you to do anything, Shin," Kuriko responded. "Whatever you do it should be because you want to. Not because of outside influences," Kuriko said honestly.

Rin paused for a moment as a thought hit her. Though she had been admittedly harsh to Shin at his sickbed and he only seemed to make such annoyances worse with his actions, there was one thing the sudden call to the medical bay for an examination made her forget... he had given her a gift when she was recovering, and the Yamataian had a certain duty to match it properly. Considering he said he was a martial artist and he had given her an artificial flower arrangement, there seemed to be a perfect way to reciprocate the offering and keep it within the realm of concern for his well-being.

Shin smiled. "Still, you're right. I have to tell her how I feel. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! At least, I think that's the saying." The Hei hugged Kuriko lightly, leaving the mess to find Rin.

Returning to her quarters, Rin spied the femtomachine-built flowers and analyzed it for a few moments. Then, with MEGAMI's help and some raw materials as a base to use, she slowly and methodically directed the encoding of a much more subdued type of plant arrangement she had seen before back home. It possessed few blooms, save for a purple iris here and there, yet it was more a geometric triangle pattern of leaves and stems which formed a typical ikebana, like what one would find in a shrine as an offering or built by samurai for meditation upon nature.

Shin was almost running through the corridors of the ship. Well, not really, but he was walking at an increased pace. His smile seemed different, not to greet the world, but a smile of relief, and hope. The Yamataian entered the nearest lift, heading up to the female enlisted deck.

Kuriko wasn't prepared for Shin to hug her, though it did confirm her theory that he was the touchy-feely type. Oh, this will be very interesting indeed, Kuriko thought as she wondered if Shin would use the same approach on Rin. Kuriko smiled knowingly, she now knew that the rumor mill would bring the information to her one way or another. All she needed to do was wait, and disseminate the truth, of course. "Sakaki, Hiroko. You both seem rather quiet. Are you ok?" Kuriko asked the pair.

And Hiroko was... it was like all of this blew past her like a breeze. Only Kuriko's comment back roused her from quietly eating noodles. "Ano... ah... I didn't see any reason to talk. All this romancing..." She shook her head as if confused or overwhelmed.

"There isn't that much going on, but what little there is, it's quite enthralling isn't it Hiroko?" Kuriko said happily. "It's always rather interesting to see how relationships form, fold, mold, and adapt as they grow or weaken," Kuriko said as she slid another sushi roll into her mouth. "Don't you agree?"

Sakaki was looking a little surprised. "So Shin-san and Rin-san are... like?" she asked, beginning to blush in surprise while pushing the tips of her fingers together. The poor Neko took what Rin said to heart and now it seemed that it back flipped on her. While still confused, the normally emotionless samurai went back to eating her ramen-udon with loud slurping action.

Hiroko shrugged slightly, stirring her noodles idly. "Uuugh... Shin was saying something about Saruwatari-hei, but... I don't know. It seems baseless." A pause, and then she lowered her head. "I shouldn't have mentioned it."

"Well, what do you think then, Sakaki, Hiroko? Are they or not?" Kuriko asked speculatively, interested in Sakaki and Hiroko's responses. Kuriko knew that talking about this was probably a bad thing, but she couldn't help but share her love for the subject.

Hiroko tilted her head again, pleasantly distracted by the new question. "...They... er… it seems one-sided to me. I'm not sure Rin really... would care. At least in that way."

Sakaki's side-glance to Nick was more her answer, as during her time in the medbay was more about talk of the top commanders. She kept herself reserved otherwise and kept herself concentrated to her meal, feeling that Kuriko wasn't acting quite reserved like she remembered her being.

"I dunno, you'd be quite surprised," Kuriko said teasingly, the comments that Rin had made up to that point as well as their intercepted telepathic communiqués were quite revealing. Kuriko felt like Rin was interested and unsure, but didn't want to look it. Perhaps I should let this play out before I discuss it, Kuriko thought. "Do you ladies have any plans later?" Kuriko changed the subject in an attempt to get the two in a full conversation, almost having forgotten of Nicholas's existence.

In her room, Rin didn't seem entirely pleased with the result of her flower arrangement as it was still an artificial construct and lacked the true meaning of what she was trying to convey, but for the purpose at hand it was a suitable gift. In fact, it was actually more cathartic making the thing than the thought of presenting it to Shin and the likely awkward situation that would create for Rin. She placed two white gloved hands on the sides of the minimalist pot that the arrangement was anchored in and studied it as she arose and went to open the door of her room back into the hallway.

Shin was coming down the corridor at full keel, practically using gravity manipulation to skate on a cushion of air, heading for Rin's door. He had just thought up how to do this, but he hadn’t figured out how to stop. He stopped using the manipulation, putting his heels down hard.... and only managing to cause himself to trip, flying headfirst at Hoshitomo-hei. This is just about the worst thing that could happen to me at this moment.

Rin had no sooner taken her first steps into the corridor when she felt a kicked up breeze on the side of her cheek. There was not much time to react, as Shin's head-butt that she dodged days before now hit squarely in her chest, knocking the wind out of the woman and causing her to careen back wards and onto the floor with the male power armor pilot on top of her. The plant hand no one holding it now, and it started to fall toward the floor... the only thing stopping it from breaking was the fact she managed to stick one hand out at the last moment to brace its fall as it landed roughly on the hallway surface right next to the tangled pair.

Shin realized that his clumsiness had ruined any chance he might've had to tell Rin his feelings. Sighing, he got up, and helped Rin up. "Sorry." He bowed to her in apology, walking the other way to a lift to take him back to the mess. Or maybe he would just go mope in his room.

Hoshitomo-hei might've blushed for a second, but that red in her cheeks was soon from the fact that she was positively fuming. He didn't get much of a chance to help her up, for she almost threw him to his feet instead. "NEKKI-HEI! You... you idiot!"

Shin just waved back to her, his arm flailing around limply. "Yeah, whatever. I don't care." He entered the lift, heading to the enlisted male deck. Right now, he just wanted to get inside his room.

"How dare you invade my personal space in such a manner! And to be running around in your condition; get back to your room!" Though, as soon as she dismissively gestured to him, she then ran after him and held the lift’s door with her hand and awkwardly tossed the flower arrangement she made at him. "And take this out of my sight... I don't know why I bothered making it for you!"

Shin's eyebrow visually twitched. He took the flower arrangement, looked at it, realizing that Rin had essentially made him a zen get well card. He looked up at the teal haired beauty. At that time, something within him snapped. Sure, his luck was horrible, but would he let that bring him down? Hell no. Stepping forward out of the lift, he grabbed her hand and brought it up to his face hard. Twice. When both his cheeks had a nice rosy flush, he let go. "Hoshitomo-hei, I know you hate me. But I have to talk to you. I have to get this off my chest before it burns me all up inside."

Rin had to look up to the taller man and was just frozen there in place as her forced her to touch his cheeks. It was more disbelief and the irrational anger that kept her from just walking away and forgetting this ever happened. "What could you possibly have to say that I need to hear? That you enjoy toying with my concern for you like this?"

"What do I have to say? What, that I think you're the most beautiful woman on the ship? No, that's not good enough, you'll only think of me as a pervert! That I think you are one of the most wonderful, caring people on this ship? No, that's an understatement!" Shin was practically yelling, though not too loud. "What I want to say is cannot be expressed in words, but I have to try. I want to say that you've stolen my heart, stolen it and taken it away. And I've been too stubborn to tell you how I feel about you, and when I finally get my act together, I'm a damn clumsy bastard and screw it all up! And to make it worse, you got a gift for me! The love struck Yamataian calmed down a bit, panting. "I'm not expecting you to return my feelings, no. I know you could never do that. But this – this is better then keeping it all bottled up inside, and letting it explode!"

He got her to listen, which was an achievement. But even as he poured out his heart, he found his words raked over the icy lake of her demeanor and the truth of her feelings for him. "Shin... I don't want your heart. Stop this foolishness. Stop it now, before you die for a lie you are telling yourself." The blue eyes he felt were so attractive seemed to stare through him into the wall, both intense with anger and the duality of an almost motherly quality. "What exist between us are only the promises we have made to the past and the duties of the present. Do not try to complicate matter further than they are."

Shin glowered at Rin, a slight smile on his face. "Fire and ice, is that what it is?" The Yamataian's smile grew. "Rin, love is just a promise – the promise that the sun will come up each day to greet the flowers and that the moon will greet the fireflies."

Rin paused, her face softening for a moment when she recalled some of the feelings in the fight she had trouble controlling... but it hardened again. The lovely face seemed to be both giving him advice and trying to find an excuse to nip whatever this was in the bud at the same time. "The only promises worth keeping are those you can share. Don't make a promise that can't be kept, Nekki-hei."

Shin reached out, holding Rin's hand. "Rin, there is no promise I can't keep. There is nothing that can get in my way, not even death." He smiled, letting go of her hand.

In the enlisted dining lounge, Hiroko blinked. "Plans? I... don't make plans. And I don't mean that in the philosophical sense you might hear me talking of... I just read." The girl looked down again, feeling a bit self-conscious now. The reminder to become a bit more open to other people hit harder now, as she was realizing just how... utterly boring her personal life was. One moment you're flipping around sending out lines of aether, bowling over killer dinner tables and then bleeeeeep – flatline.

By this time, Ushimo-hei had finished her ramen and looked puzzled at Hiroko. She then asked, "What are you reading?" as she herself read from time to time, though mostly about fictional warriors.

Hiroko smiled – very, very subtly. "Philosophy. Right now I'm trying desperately to read Nietzsche. His ideas are... are..." She held out a hand in mid gesture, extending a few fingers, then curling them back up again, as if clutching for a word. "...Strange."

Sakaki nodded towards Hiroko in acknowledgment of her knowledge, combined with her battle tactics. She never heard of the book but it sounded like something scholars would read. “That is an interesting read Ishida-hei, as I mostly just read fiction...” she confessed, while finishing the rest of her green tea.

"Nietzsche, aren't his ideals survival of the fittest? I think it involves control of the gene pool to some extent, doesn't it?" Kuriko asked curiously. The Neko had been briefed briefly on Nietzsche as a part of her psychology training, but hadn't looked to deeply into it as she found it barbaric almost.

Hiroko shook her head, the subtle smile growing into a slight smirk. "It's always more complicated than it looks. You're thinking of Social Darwinism, though the similarities are there. Nietzsche... was more about self-domination – some kind of master-slave mentality taken to the level of self-control. A lot about the darker... perhaps more aggressive aspects of human thinking. Interesting enough, though one should take heed of his sometimes-nickname, the 'Anti-Philosopher.'"

Nicholas sat with the Pride Wing soldiers who remained in the mess hall for some time, contently listening in on their conversations and making mental notes of how they’d seemed to have progressed as a unit. Eventually feeling that Pride had come a long way since the beginning, and even just hours before in the medbay, he stood to leave. He figured that they’d be more comfortable without the ship’s XO sitting there, and he could talk business with Kuriko some other time. “Enjoy the rest of your downtime, guntai,” he said, nodding to the group before he walked away.

Kuriko now felt out of her field in this matter. "Ah, sou," the Neko responded, feeling quite silly for having confused the two theologies, Kuriko focused her attention back on her sushi, taking note that Nicholas had left.

Hiroko had only barely noticed Nick had left. She had barely noticed Nick was even there! Such was the XO – a secretive little bugger. She'd have to learn more... sometime... if she ever got the will to.

"Ah, Hiroko did you remember to get an ST backup?" Kuriko asked the Hei.

Hiroko blinked... then blushed – a rare sign indeed. "I... I... forgot to."

On the lift on deck 19, Rin pulled her hand away, and the young amore was left holding nothing but an empty standard-issue glove that had been around it as she turned away with a sigh and her left digits ball up into a fist beneath his field of view. "...then worry about your own first before you start trying to understand another's."

Shin made a shrug. "I have no concerns for my own health a safety, as long as I can keep my promises." If Rin looked closely, his vermillion bangs almost looked to be on fire, with a burning fire in his eyes.

As soon as he said this, Rin could hold back no longer and she slapped Shin clear across the face, leaving a mark in his regenerated skin in its wake. "Baka!"

Shin took the slap, knowing that Rin wouldn't hurt him hard enough to do any damage. "Are you this harsh because you care, or do you care because you're harsh?"

This was the first comment he said that actually dug its claws into the stern woman, and she growled, awakening a simmering temper. "This conversation is over. Get back in that lift within five seconds or I will be giving nurse Mai-hei some new wounds to patch up to show you just how much I really care."

Shin whipped out his standard issue knife, putting it hilt first into Rin's hands. "Do it. If you use my knife, you won't get in trouble for it." He smiled, pressing the knife against his gut, not yet breaking through his uniform.

While Rin did care for the Nitô Hei, he had just crossed a dangerous threshold. But Rin did not grip the knife he insanely offered tightly, rather letting it fall to the floor as it slipped through her fingers. Shin might've thought that this meant there was no bite to her words, which they were empty threats with no will to follow through. However, almost exactly within the specified timeframe, the pained Yamataian brought up her service pistol out of it's holster and discharged it on the lightest "stun" setting at point blank range with intent to knock out the muscular boyfriend who had finally pushed his luck too hard with the military woman.

Shin just passed out, falling forwards. Wait, Rin was right in front of him. The larger Yamataian fell forwards, managing to take Rin to the ground with him, his sharp, upward pointing knife directly under Rin's lower back.

Rin intended to catch the falling pilot all along, disabling him for his own good to take him to the medical bay or his room until he was thinking clearly or simply would chill out. Was she paranoid of what he was capable of? Perhaps. But to draw a weapon on her in any way was a knee jerk reaction for the trained YSE recruit, and in her mind it was a justifiable reaction. Still, the knife did scrape her in the commotion, and draw a thin line of blood on her and she tried to bear it without making the scene even worse

Meanwhile, Kuriko looked over at where Nicholas had been sitting and realized that he had left his bentobag. You're not escaping that easily, Saiga-taii, Kuriko thought as she grabbed the bentobag and rushed after Nicholas. "Be sure you get an ST backup within the next day, Hiroko," Kuriko sent as she chased down the Taii. Once the Heisho finally caught up with Nick, she slowed down and walked beside him. "Anou, Saiga-taii, you forgot your bentobag," Kuriko said as she handed him the bag.

Nicholas looked strangely at Kuriko as she handed him the bagged snack. “Oh, thank you, Shifuda-heisho,” he said, smirking. “I was just headed for the onsen – I must apologize that I was unable to make it when you invited me, by the way. All for the best, though. Who knows what would have happened if Shizuka hadn’t ordered me to the bridge.” And then, just as he was about to invite the Pride Wing’s Heisho to come along, the Senbu’s MEGAMI issued an alert, interrupting his – and everybody on the ship’s – current concerns.

“Small arms discharge on deck nineteen, all personnel please standby at your current station until ordered,” the computerized female voice would say, repeating the phrase several times as emergency strobes flashed through the ship’s corridors.

Kuriko looked up to Nicholas "Taii, your orders?" Kuriko asked. The Heisho had no idea that it was actually her own subordinates who had caused the alarm to trigger. Currently, she just assumed that it was an undiscovered enemy that had stowed away somewhere. With that in mind the Heisho cautiously drew her NSP.

“Follow me, Heisho,” the Taii said in a stern but obviously worried tone, drawing his own sidearm as he diverted their course towards the nearest lift. “MEGAMI, order all nearby and available security teams to deck nineteen and disable any lift movements going to or from it,” he ordered as he marched into the elevator. Like Kuriko, Nicholas immediately suspected pirates that had stowed away to wreak havoc when the crew was vulnerable and still had his NSP set to pulse mode. “What do we know about the enemy?” he asked the AI as they began to travel to their destination.

Kuriko fell in behind her commanding officer weapon ready. She knew that Shin had went to talk to Sakaki and worried about them. "Ushimo-hei, Nekki-hei, report in," Kuriko sent to the pair.

"Damn you.. Shin... stubborn fool..." lamented Rin, as she hoped the wound would begin sealing up quickly enough. But the fact her uniform was slashed couldn't be ignored, and unlike a Neko, she did not have an innate ability to hide her condition via organic hologram generation. All she could do now was deal with the consequences of what just took place and follow her original plan. Carefully, she hefted Shin's arm over hers to stabilize his weight and walked to the lift as quick as possible, to set a course back to the medical bay before anyone tried to stop her.

“No enemies have been identified, Saiga-taii,” the MEGAMI replied without any urgency or emotion. “A Type 30 Nekovalkyrja Service Pistol was discharged by Nitô Hei, Hoshitomo Rin,” it reported as the lift slid to a stop and opened its doors to the deck that housed part of the ship’s enlisted accommodations.

Of course, even before she began moving into the elevator she knew the standard procedures for what just occurred and that the computer and the commander would be quick to seal all entrances and exits from the deck where the firearm was reported from. Thus when the thing did not move, she wasn't in the least bit surprised and simply slumped Nekki Shin's still unconscious form against the wall and waited. Kuriko's attempt at communications received a resigned response. "I apologize, Heisho, but I was forced to disable Nekki-hei for his and my own safety."

Both the combined responses from the MEGAMI and Rin caused Kuriko's heart to stop. "What happened?" the Heisho responded, dumbfounded. This was a very unexpected turn of events. They were getting along so well before... Kuriko thought as she created reasons that something like this would occur. Unfortunately, no reasons came to mind.

The Geshrin Taii remained silent, his face showing an angry grimace as he stepped out of the lift at a brisk pace with Kuriko no doubt just behind him. Two security teams armed with a mish-mash of weapons ranging from NSPs to BARs formed up behind them, pouring out of the nearby lifts. He’d holstered his own weapon, sure that he wouldn’t need to use it, but subconsciously remained ready to draw it if things took a bad turn. It wouldn’t be long before the column of personnel made its way a short distance across deck 19 and reached where Rin was standing, falling into a semi-circle around the lift’s threshold, weapons shouldered and braced at the ready.

Kuriko holstered her own NSP. "Rin...." Kuriko said quietly after she had pushed her way to the front of the semi-circle, not able to finish the sentence. "Your NSP." There was a look of confusion as Kuriko extended her hand for Rin's weapon. She was so confused as to what would cause the Hei to shoot Shin.

Rin was solemnly standing there at attention beside Nekki-hei, face a mix of deep sadness but also no regret for her actions as they were the correct thing to do in the situation in her eyes. A large portion of it was her body acting on instinct upon seeing the blade as visions of the combat of only a few hours prior still haunted her mind's eye. The knife that drew her blood was still lying on the floor near the elevator and the midsection of her bodysuit was slashed up at a decent size cut that had been deep enough to hurt, but jagged and almost accidental in its angle of laceration. The pistol still in her hands, she nodded wordlessly to the Taii and let the grip fall forward with her finger in the trigger as a pivot to present it formally to him. He could see it was set to the lowest limits of what would stun a Yamataian... such a blast would have done little to a Neko.

Kuriko gently took the NSP from Rin's hands. "Nitô Hei Hoshitomo Rin, will you come peacefully?" Kuriko asked the words that were painful for the Heisho to ask, to even enunciate. She never imagined having to put anyone in a brig, and certainly didn't want to do so now. Unfortunately, for the time being there was little choice. What happened?! the Neko wondered, her thoughts and confusion clearly displayed on her face.

"I will not resist," replied Rin to her heisho, trying to put the most nonplussed face about it all on that was possible. She didn't look guilty, more just somber and accepting. "Shifuda-heisho, forgive me for placing this burden upon you. But Nekki-hei was not thinking clearly and drew a weapon on himself."

Kuriko looked up at Nicholas. "Sir, I don't have any more authority on this matter. As you have heard, she has indicated her non-resistance. I recommend short-term confinement in the brig for both of them until the cause of this situation can be ascertained," Kuriko suggested to Nicholas. It was honestly the best she could hope for, pushing for confinement to quarters wouldn't work, the Heisho didn't think. Kuriko wasn't quite sure how to respond to Rin, she was appalled, but the action did merit the response, if what she said was true. Instead Kuriko could only turn back to Rin and look at her with a confused and hurt look as she tried to wade through the situation.

Nicholas stood there, still not speaking a word as Kuriko took the surrendered weapon from Rin. “You should feel exceptionally lucky that this is not my ship, Hoshitomo-hei,” Nicholas snarled, ignoring Kuriko’s recommendation. “I would execute you both where you stand if I knew that Shizuka would approve,” he continued, too infuriated to correct the mistake concerning the Shosa’s name that he would normally catch. The Geshrin looked over to the master-at-arms standing among the security personnel. “Juni, detain Nitô Hei Hoshitomo Rin and confine her to the brig until further notice. Nitô Hei Nekki Shin is to be taken to the infirmary and restrained to his bed as well as be kept under guard by two of your soldiers at all times.”

The Nitô Hei bowed her head, acknowledging his orders. They were correct of course… she took a very big risk doing what she did so soon after a battle. "Saiga-taii, all ask in your review of the data is that you see I did what was required of me for both of our safety." She spoke no more, and offered her ivory wrists to the armed escort awaiting. If anything, she wanted to get as far away from his glare as possible before any more damage was done to her reputation and pride before both of her superiors. Plus, the cut on her torso was still oozing a bit of red and this stress was not helping the healing process.

Kuriko fell in behind Rin, ready to walk behind the Hei to the brig. Unsure of what else to do at that point, Kuriko started downloading the logs of what had occurred so that she would be able to write up a report concerning the incident. More importantly though, so that she would know just what happened between two of her subordinates.

“If the MEGAMI’s data shows that you were justified, then you have no need to grovel, Nitô Hei,” Nicholas said bitterly as he turned to leave. “Shifuda-heisho, once you see to it that your guntai have been properly detained and escorted, report to the Shosa’s office. Perhaps you can explain to her why this happened in the unit that she trusted you to oversee.” With that, he was gone, himself dreading the fact that he had to report this to Shizuka. She was an understanding leader, but he couldn’t imagine how furious she would be about this – it did involve Shin, after all.

"Hai Saiga-taii," Kuriko responded, noting the Taii's emphasis on the word 'your'. A small feeling of dread welled up in her stomach as she feared just what might happen when she would present herself in front of Shizuka and tell her what happened.

Rin could not be more apologetic to her wing commander than she was already and continued walking to the lock-up. "My only regret is that I cannot take the entire blame for this, Heisho... but so is the way of things. I want to speak with you once you've seen for yourself what occurred, as I would only add to the confusion in my current state."

"Un," Kuriko nodded. She wanted to be supportive of Rin but wasn't sure how to do so. Especially since she knew so little of what had happened. "Rin...." Kuriko didn't really know how to finish the sentence, but could only offer Rin the small bit of support she herself had to give at the moment.

END

Re: Ep 16.1 - Downtime: Untimely Meditations |Mini-JP|

ON: YSS Senbu

Kuriko walked behind Rin all the way to the brig, finally when the brig door shut the Heisho stopped moving. Instead she stared at the cell for a few minutes, blaming herself for the incident. If I hadn't encouraged Shin so much this wouldn't have happened, Kuriko thought guiltily. The Heisho lingered a little longer before turning and heading to Shizuka's office.

It had only been moments since the incident, Shizuka sat at her desk with a hand rubbing at her forehead. She had been taking a few minutes to process the whole issue as a complete picture. Then, at this point, Nicholas would be making his way into her office; the face she greeted him with was not her candid one. Instead he was walking in on the Commanding Officer of the ship, in full professional attire and persona as she bowed a silent greeting to him and waved away a series of volumetric displays.

Nicholas bowed, returning Shizuka’s own acknowledgement. He looked as exhausted as he had since the end of the battle with the pirates and still wore the same blood-stained uniform jacket, having been too busy to change with the various duties and events that occurred in the aftermath of the engagement. “As I am sure you already know, there has been an incident,” Nicholas said, remaining bowed as he spoke. Although he tried to hide the exasperation in his voice in front of the Shosa, he couldn’t completely mask it with all that had happened. After a moment, the Taii straightened himself, his eyes tearing up ever-so-slightly as he imagined how hard the situation would be to explain to Shizuka so soon after the costly fight.

Shizuka nodded once more and a small irritated sigh followed, it was obvious she wasn't pleased at all with the situation. "Yes, the Senbu's MEGAMI has sent me a total report and now I have to investigate it fully before I forward mine to Personnel Management. I'm sure you’re as tired as anyone Nick, but if you would... I need your personal report, as you were the ranking official who handled it." Shizuka's tone was kind and understanding towards her executive officer, she really wanted nothing more than to relax herself and spend the next few hours before their arrival to port with him. But this was her responsibility, and even if such a long grueling battle lay in their wake, she still had a duty to do.

“I was with Shifuda-heisho, prepared to congratulate her with regards to the cohesion her unit displayed, when the alarm sounded,” Nicholas stated, forcing his words out quickly and sternly to prevent himself from stumbling. “I ordered all available security teams to the scene, and met with them en route. Once we arrived on the scene, what we witnessed supported what the MEGAMI had told me just moments earlier: Hoshitomo-hei stood in the lift with her sidearm in hand and Nekki-hei lay unconscious beside her. Hoshitomo-hei informed me that she acted for her and Nekki-hei’s safety.” The Taii paused, but only to catch his breath to continue speaking. “I placed both of the concerned parties under arrest and then came directly here. Shifuda-heisho was told to also report to your office once she’d ensured that her soldiers were detained properly.”

Shizuka brought her hand back up to her forehead and once again tried to rub out the resulting headache from the whole ordeal. "Thank you for your report Saiga-taii," Shizuka said, then shook off her professional mask a moment and looked up to him with apologetic eyes. "Don't worry about it anymore, Nick. I'll take it from here, if you'd like... you can go up to my room and rest a bit," she offered with a tone that said she'd join him once everything was over.

“Thank you, Shizuka, but I will only retire if I am ordered to,” Nicholas said. He felt that it was his duty to remain with her in order to assist her in the investigation and deliberation, and would push himself to continue as long as she would have him. The Shosa’s simple offer to allow him the opportunity to rest was encouragement enough for the Geshrin. “I will support you in your task; it is my obligation as your first officer.”

She nodded a few times, knowing that his decision was probably for the better anyhow. "At least have a cup of coffee, you look exhausted," Shizuka offered as she gestured with an upturned hand to his usual seat at her large desk. Then, as he'd move to sit down, she'd take the time to pour him a mug from a container she kept in one of the deeper drawers. Once she slid it in front of the Geshrin, she'd take a long look at the data pad atop of her desk, Kuriko's personnel file was displayed on the screen. "Shifuda-Heisho, you may now enter." Shizuka said to Kuriko in telepathy as the Lioness herself shifted her posture and folded her hands in preparation.

Kuriko entered the room, her anxiety unhidden from her face. "Endo-shosa." Kuriko bowed as she entered. Shizuka didn't seem happy, of course after current events who could expect her to be? Kuriko stood meekly in front of the Shosa's desk until she was told to sit.

When she bowed, Shizuka returned a small and curt one. For now, the Shosa kept the Heisho standing; she was before her CO for an official matter which very well could lead to disciplinary measures carried out against Kuriko as well. "Ittô Heisho Shifuda Kuriko. I hereby formally request your report on the event that transpired between the members of the squad I entrusted you with." Shizuka meant every word of what she said; letting the other Neko wonder just what approach she was taking on all of this.

Kuriko stood, feeling disappointed in herself. "Hai, Shosa." Kuriko's voice was crestfallen as she spoke. She could feel the Shosa's disappointment in her. Shizuka had trusted her with the squadron and she had ended up causing Rin to shoot Shin. "Sumimasen. I feel this is my fault Endo-shosa," Kuriko replied. She didn't want Shizuka to punish anyone other than herself.

The Lioness captain remained silent a moment, glancing down at the data pad before her. "Shifuda-heisho, I did not choose you for the position because I saw you as a warrior leader, nor because I saw you as a brilliant tactician. I believed you had the qualities to lead and care for your men and women, all of your missing attributes could be learnt with time and experience and you could better rely on your squad for those skills. I had thought you were a psychologist, but from my understanding of the subject, a psychologist would better know how to approach a social situation as delicate as the relationship of two people who work closely together, easing them into a relationship instead of trying to push the two together." Shizuka's feral amber orbs flickered up to lock on Kuriko's now as she pierced through the smaller Neko’s gaze intently. "You’ve shamed me greatly in proving me wrong, I am sorely disappointed with your actions after this battle. Your mischievous deviance has provoked many things I would better expect from someone else. I did not expect this to be coming form you of all people, Kuriko. Especially with such a tremendous battle in our wake no less." Shizuka then shook her head slightly and glanced back to the data pad. "If I don’t see an improvement in your actions as a Heisho in the Star Army, I will be forced to take drastic measures in punishment. Is this clear Shifuda?"

Kuriko's gaze turned toward the ground, unable to look Shizuka in the face. "Hai, Endo-shosa. Sumimasen," Kuriko replied. The Heisho wished she could shrink back into a small ball right now. "It won't happen again, Shosa," Kuriko said sadly. She had disappointed the Shosa, and more than that embarrassed her. It was easy for Kuriko to forget that the Pride Wing was Shizuka's personal project, a project that she firmly believed in, and more than that had trusted Kuriko with. Now the Heisho had gone and egged the forces within her subordinates on enough to cause them to act out against each other. "I'll have the report for you as soon as possible," Kuriko said, her face still looking at the ground, not daring to look her Shosa in the eyes.

"Good, then you may leave," Shizuka said in closing as she then closed the profile on her data pad and watched as Kuriko would make her exit. The Lioness believed that this was the right course of action for the time being. If things did escalate though, she was not afraid to take the disciplinary measures she had threatened the Heisho with. Shizuka was a kind but firm leader, which made her ever more fearsome.

"Hai, Shosa." Kuriko bowed before she spoke, then left the Shosa's office in silence.

Elsewhere, Mai was just about to go off duty when the alarms sounded. Moments later she would be alerted that one of her charges had been stunned with an NSP, and as the assigned nurse at the moment she needed to give him medical attention. The Hei wasted no time getting to the brig where the charge was being kept. Once she had arrived, Mai began to check Shin's wound from the NSP as well as check to make sure that his previous wounds hadn't reopened.

Shin was somewhere between awake and stunned. The NSP was beginning to wear off quickly, possibly due to his stubbornness. Nonetheless, he was motionless on the cot, his breathing steady and slow.

"You’re awake," Mai observed as she ran a medical scanner over his forehead. "I told you not to over exert yourself," Mai said reproachfully.

Shin didn’t say anything. Right now, he just wanted to shrink away into a little ball, away from the prying eyes of everyone else.

Mai's face was disapproving as she ran the scanner further down the Hei's body. "Luckily your wounds haven't reopened," Mai said, finally convinced that the Hei wasn't internally bleeding. "Can you feel my fingers?" Mai asked as she touched Shin's wrist to take his pulse.

"Yes." Shin's fingers tensed up, then relaxed a bit

Masako, having heard what happened, had headed for the brig to see just what the real story was. The rumor mill was always too quick to exaggerate stuff like this until you couldn't figure out the truth without asking the ones involved. She would be back in uniform and headed for the brig, making sure her rank was visible.

"Halt," a Neko Juni said as Masako reached the holding cell area. Both blocks were guarded by a thick force field which had to be operated by the security members. "What business do you have with this area, Nitô Hei?" the rather fierce looking, short haired Nekovalkyrja asked rather brashly, not taking any risks with the previous engagement still fresh against the minds of those on the ship.

Masako paused there and looked at the two Juni and bowed to them in respect to their ranks. "Both Hoshitomo-hei and Nekki-hei are my wing comrades. I want to know what happened from them so I can understand their reasons for myself without spin," she said honestly and held her hands out to show she was unarmed except for the sidearm she had on her belt. "I want to speak with them, nothing more. I’ll even leave my sidearm here," the blonde said.

The Juni in the security entrance stepped back behind a terminal and looked to be checking something out. Then a moment after confirming something with what most likely was higher ups, she turned her attention back to Misako. "You’re cleared to visit on the grounds that you are investigating the situation, though by standard rules you only have fifteen minutes max, and you are to hand over your weapons anyway. Please step forward and place your weapons over in one of those containers and come back for a scan." She motioned at a wall nearby which was lined with thick, locker-like containers.

Masako nodded to the warrant officer and disarmed herself fully of every weapon she had on her including the short sword she had and put them in a container and went back for a scan. "I am investigating it, the truth can only be found by understanding both views, after all," she said.

With no further issues, once the scan was completed Masako was admitted entrance into the quite empty cell block where, off in the distance, was a cell for Shin.

Shin was in his cell, lying on his cot, eyes closed. If one looked closely, they could see that he was breathing, albeit slowly

Mai was hovering over Shin, taking his vitals again while noting the lack of response from the Yamataian. "Very well," Mai said before she pulled out a penlight and moved to hover over Shin's face. Gently, she pulled his eyes open and shined the light into his eyes.

Shin made no response, though his pupils did appear to be wider then average.

Masako would get through the testing and walk quietly down the corridor of the brig toward the cell. She would perk a brow to find someone else inside there. Recognizing Mai, she would watch for a few moments, having seen the medic earlier. "How is he, Mai?" Masako asked quietly.

"Other than slightly enlarged pupils he seems to be okay," Mai said as she clicked off the penlight. "Nekki-hei, have you had any unprescribed drugs recently or any kind of performance enhancers?" Mai asked via encrypted telepathy as she finished up her examination.

"No, I haven’t. Thank you for the idea though." Shin would close his eyes again, thinking of a way out of this.

Masako nodded. "Should probably lower the lights in that cell so they don't damage his eyes," she said to Mai and turned to Shin visually. "Is he coherent enough to converse?"

"I don't recommend you do so, Nekki-hei," Mai responded to Shin. "You're as healthy as can be expected Nekki-hei," Mai said aloud as she ticked the last item off of the list. "He is awake and coherent. Whether or not he wants to talk is his choice," Mai said to Masako.

Masako looked in on Shin with confused blue eyes. "Shin, please... tell me what happened. In your own words... why did you do this?" she asked in a strangely soft tone, not wanting to come off as threatening or intimidating; but as a confused friend looking for answers. She shifted her weight back and forth a bit, feeling a bit daft for asking that through a force field, but it couldn't be helped at the moment.

Shin didn’t respond, instead turning on the cot so that he was facing the wall away from Masako. He didn’t want to talk about it, it seemed.

"Please, Shin…" Masako said calmly in a neutral tone. "I just don't understand... why would you want a death wish after doing such a great job?" she asked, watching him for a moment, her arms crossed under her bust.

Shin inwardly sighed. "I didn’t do a good job. All I did was get people to worry about me."

"Shin, if you didn't do your own job back there taking on that pilot we probably wouldn't have been able to complete that mission, you know. It was ballsy of you to want to help the Shosa and all but we were just concerned for your wellbeing. Look at it like this: if we didn't care we wouldn't worry so much," Masako replied to him. "Hell, I feel like I didn't do a good job but I did what I could, just like you did. Is that why you tried to get Rin to shoot you in a deadly way? Because you didn't want all of us to worry about you again?" she asked.

Shin thought for a second, deciding to tell Masako what happened. "Shifuda-heisho told me I should tell Rin my feelings for her. On the way there, I managed to trip over myself and fall into her. I just gave up, knowing she wouldn’t accept my apology. She had made me a gift though, so that sparked something. I just poured out my feelings for her."

PAUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back