• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Senbu Ep 24 - PANT-IES and interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

5tar

ON: Aries Station

The shuttle containing the greenhorns was now making its final approach to the station; the pilot up front was going through the simple identification and authorization process, giving the newbies a glance at the large star fortress. But that was short lived, as it didn't take any time at all before they corrected course and docked in the station. A few more seconds of waiting and then the hatch opened up. The pilot didn't bother leaving the cockpit, she instead waved them off with a, "Just request the location of the Senbu's COs and be off on your way, darlings."

"Yes, ma'am," Haruka answered in her clipped terse de jour as she disembarked from the shuttle.

Suzaku would nod to the pilot and stand up to disembark from the shuttle. "Thanks Stararcher-heisho," he said to her. "I know it's your job, but still, your work is appreciated, especially when it temporary shaves off a bit of your leave," he said smoothly and stepped out of the shuttle and into the Senbu proper with Haruka.

Mayuki hid behind Haruka as she slipped off the shuttle, not wanting to be noticed. Though while small she was, probably the only thing noticeable was her pack which she attempted to hold up to Haruka's hand height as she tried to sneak off.

Meanwhile, Shizuka and Nicholas were in the office together; the two commanding officers of the Senbu had finished just going through a quarrel and now were at a serene result. The Taisa quietly was resting her head against the Shosa’s chest as she was brought back to reality; a digital notification reached her and she was alerted to the arrival of her potential new members. "We should get back to work," Shizuka said with a sigh as she lingered in his embrace, "we got a vacation to get to after all."

“Indeed, Shizuka. A vacation that will be quite spectacular,” Nicholas said with a smile, trying to assure the Taisa after their argument. “Quite a time to join the Senbu–I wish more vessels that I was assigned to had given me leave just after I’d reported for duty,” he chuckled, loosening his hold on Shizuka before stepping towards the desk and his data pad. “Anyway, let’s get it over with quickly. Our… discussion has done nothing more than further excite me about setting foot on Yamatai again.”

Shizuka smiled up at her executive officer, a much more pleased expression then before displayed on the Taisa's lion-like features. "Well, I think for the potential members of the Pride Wing, yes. But the others could definitely be added to the repairs on the ship," the captain said as she made her way around to the desk–but paused on her way. "What the..." she paused in her steps as she caught sight of something caught up on the legs of one of the chairs. She slowly approached the bunched up piece of cloth. Then, with a sudden blush and rush of embarrassment, she snatched the item from the floor. "Um, Nick, I need to excuse myself a moment. Something's come up, I'll be right back, please go ahead with the first interview," she said quickly as she slipped out the door.

The Shosa looked at Shizuka strangely, raising a curious eyebrow as she spoke. “Yes… Taisa,” Nicholas said, unable to finish before she disappeared from the room. Hopefully, she would return in a short amount of time; the Geshrin hated having to do these things without her. The interview process was her requirement, after all. There wasn’t much he could do about the situation now, though, so he sat down at the desk and waited for the Senbu’s new crewmembers to arrive.

First on the list left behind by the Taisa: Inoue Haruka. The profiles of all the new members were conveniently prepared on the data pad left in front of her seat. The Taisa, however, used this time to not only slip back on her unmentionables, but also realized she could sneak away to get a look at her ship. She wondered how far the repairs could have progressed by now, and being an engineer herself, she wanted to assess the work and most likely scrutinize it.

Back in the shuttle bay, Suzaku would be on his game and looked to the left and right down the corridor with light grey eyes and brushed is fingers through his dark hair. "PANT-IES, can you guide the three of us to the location of the CO?" He asked the AI, knowing it'd provide volumetric arrows to show the way. Then again, he already knew the way to the bridge, having studied this ship design before, but where the CO's location was the unknown.

The station's PANT-IES responded quickly and promptly to Suzaku's request. He was given a volumetric arrow and a mental map of the long trek they had to the meeting area on the every busy Aries. The COs were still in a small office adjacent to one of the massive theatres, where they had moments ago gone though quite an amazing spectacle of promotions.

Suzaku chuckled a bit and shifted his bag as he held it and noticed the volumetric arrow and the map of the station. "Well, well, there we go ladies. Shall we?" he gestured to the other two and headed off, following the volumetric arrows in conjunction with the map, shifting it to a 3-dimensional overhead view so he could keep track o the position that way. He wasn't surprised by how busy the station was, they were always like this whenever he passed through or lived on one, even as a child. But of course, it'd take some time to get to the office indicated by the maps, dodging through the workers and crowds as three made their way through it to reach their objective swiftly. Suzaku knew that the PANT-IES system had probably already alerted the CO to their presence.

"Let's go," Haruka's answer came–unsurprisingly–as tense and curt as possible. She followed behind Suzaku, shifting her pack and trying her best to keep an eye out–ever careful and wary.

Mayuki moved away from Haruka as she exited the shuttle crossed her arms in thought. What was the engineer thinking calling it PANT-IES? Just so odd, talking to something named after something I wear. Why not PANTS? was Mayuki's steam-of-thought at the end with a sweat drop. She then followed the others to where they were supposed to be heading, marveling at the station while she was at it, but really wanted to see more ship than station.

When the trio came to the room that the Senbu’s command had been using, Saiga-shosa was promptly informed of their arrival. Moments he was made known of their presence, Haruka was ushered into the office. “Inoue-hei, you may enter,” the Aries’ PANT-IES stated, telling all present that the former Neko infantry soldier should proceed to meet her commanders.

Haruka strode forward, not exactly with confidence but with the tense expectation one would have before an important job interview–or awaiting a nuclear strike. Haruka saluted crisply upon presenting herself to whoever waited her in the office, "Santô Hei Inoue Haruka, reporting as ordered."

Only one officer waited Haruka within the room–a shosa according to his rank insignia. He stood as she entered, receiving her gesture with a small nod. “Next time, you should bow, Inoue-hei,” he said, his voice sounding very professional, but not scolding in its tone. “This isn’t the Nepleslian Star Army; we do not salute. No matter, I am Shosa Nicholas Saiga, and I will be conducting your interview on behalf of the Senbu’s commander, Endo-taisa,” he told her, immediately gesturing to a chair opposite from where he stood. “Please, have a seat, Santô Hei.”

Haruka looked at the chair and approached it, sitting very formally. "I apologize for my mistake, Shosa. It will not happen again." Haruka's voice rang with sincerity, deeply ashamed for her faux pas and honestly demure in the face of one of higher rank; though the hardness never really disappeared.

Nicholas sat only after the Yamataian girl had, picking up his data pad as he eased into the chair. He looked over the girl’s file, noticing a message from Shizuka attached to all three of the new crewmembers’ profiles. “Keep the interviews short. You know what to ask. –Shi <3,” it read, probably sent telepathically to his inbox as she hurried off to do fortunes-know-what. And accordingly, he did know what to ask. “Let’s get right to business, Inoue-hei,” the Geshrin said, glancing over to her with his eyes while keeping his face directed at his screen, “This question is perhaps the most important one you will answer during your tenure aboard the YSS Senbu.” He would look directly at her now, placing his handheld computer onto the table in front of him. “During a mission, if you were encountered with a situation where you were given the choice to save an endangered comrade but forsake completion of the mission or to complete the mission and allow your comrade to die, which path would you choose?”

Haruka was silent for a long time. She mulled the question, the metaphorical gears in her head clicking along. "If I had to choose, Shosa," Haruka started slowly. "I would choose...the mission," she said with finality. "I say this because I would expect they would choose the same."

“I see,” Nicholas replied, contemplating where to place the girl. She was infantry, so couldn’t be thrown in another section, but he couldn’t put her on the Taisa’s Pride Wing; he knew that Shizuka wouldn’t approve of the answer that Haruka had given. “Mayhap…” he began, taking another moment to make sure with himself that he was doing the correct thing, “Yes. You will be assigned to the Senbu’s lead armor squadron, Pride Wing, as an auxiliary pending Endo-taisa’s approval.” The Shosa stood, bowing ever-so-slightly to the Santô Hei. “You are given leave, as the rest of the squadron has been given. Details will follow within the hour. Until then, you are permitted to spend your time freely on Aries,” he ordered her. “If there is nothing else, you are dismissed, Inoue-hei.”

"Yes, Shosa. Thank you." Haruka bowed deeply as was expected to one of higher station and saw herself to the door. She kept her expression carefully controlled. Auxiliary, she thought to herself–repeating the word in her head as if it were something distasteful and foreign. She then headed off to the recreational areas of the station, still mulling over the events that transpired. She had watched other soldiers on leave, listened to their conversations–she knew how to walk the walk, how to talk the talk, but it all seemed too foreign to her. Like someone else was running her body. She sighed. "Must have been that terrible first impression," Haruka groused to nobody in particular. She threw her bags over her shoulder and went off to find somewhere to rack up–maybe when she woke up, the sting of failure would have gone away. Maybe, she concluded sadly.

After she had left the room, Yoshito Mayuki and Katsuragi Suzaku were admitted to see Nicholas, one after the other. They were asked the same question that Haruka had been asked, even though it mattered far less for them. In the end, they were assigned to the Senbu’s Third Engineering Unit, just as they were always intended to have been. Following their meetings, they were dismissed. But rather than being given leave, the two were sent directly to find their quarters on the Anri-class and report to Ittô Heisho Hirado Fusae, a section chief under Taii Inoue Rina, of no relation to the new Pride Wing Auxiliary, to assist in the ship’s repairs.

Suzaku would bow somewhat to the Shosa and head off to assist with the repairs to the ship after dropping his bags off in his quarters. He was already uniformed and ready to go for the day, his few engineers’ tools attached to his belt as he headed off. He was still wearing his red headband though, to keep his messy hair out of his eyes and face as he worked. Reporting to the Ittô Heisho with a bow, he introduced himself before getting to work wherever she needed him to be.

Mayuki was a bit uneasy to see Haruka leave with an upset expression, but entered with respectful bow. When asked the question she pondered over it for a while, then responded, "I would naturally save the personnel, it would be a waste for good people to die mid-mission and leave fewer people to get the needed work done." Later, she would leave content, not that the girl was expected to be on a super squad of engineers or anything as she had plans, perhaps, of forming one herself someday. With a grin, she headed for the Senbu to get some work done; ships don't fly on their own!

END

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back