• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Senbu Ep 29 - The cold welcome home

Status
Not open for further replies.

5tar

ON: Yamatai - Kurayami-jo, northeast Melanchol

After Shizuka accepted Nicholas’ solution to their lack of accommodation for the duration of their stay on Yamatai, all that was necessary for their transport to the location he spoke of was a quick, curt order delivered over the Geshrin’s personal communicator. Not five minutes later, they were in a vehicle that transported them to a civilian commuter depot and then on a small private shuttle bound for the mountains to the north of Anisa. They would arrive in short time, emerging from the craft onto a cold, windy landing pad nestled amongst the sprawling evergreen forest that covered the low, rising range of hills and peaks. The place was barely lit by old-fashioned lantern and was devoid of any welcoming party. A light snow that fell, catching the firelight before it landed and melted away when the climate didn’t sustain it. For what the two officers could see, the pad was kept clean, but it was clear that it hadn’t been used in some time.

“This way,” Nicholas said as the shuttle departed, walking away from the Nekovalkyrja and towards pathway illuminated by the same kind of stone lantern fixtures set at regular intervals. He hadn’t told her much other than their destination’s name—Kurayami-jo—a castle, or so its name would imply. He carried his own light luggage, nothing more than a shoulder-slung satchel, and hers, making his way down the path at a quick, impatient pace.

"Oh my..." Shizuka said, becoming speechless as she exited the shuttle and stepped into the brisk, cold air. With her breaths hanging in the air, she paused just only a few steps from the landing place. The world around her seemed so stunning and unlike anything else, her eyes didn't even come to the castle itself just yet, with almost childlike awe she turned her hand over and watched silently as a snowflake came to land in her hand. She couldn't say anything; the only thing her cybernetic mind could think of was the scientific data for all these things around her as she tried to think what they really were. But right now, a tree wasn't a tree, it was a living organism that she had never set eyes on in her life. Then, with a cold sensation on her nose pulling her back to reality, she shook her blonde head and turned up to look at the ancient building they were going to be staying at, then down to her XO as he made his slightly rushed approach to the castle. She wasn’t too sure why he seemed so upset, but she couldn’t do anything but smile right now as she looked at him.

Nicholas wouldn’t say a word as he continued his march towards the dark structure, undefined in the low moonlight, that loomed over the tree line from where the path they followed undoubtedly ended. Every so often, he slowed, looking over his shoulder to make sure Shizuka was keeping up. The walk would take around ten minutes, the stone-laden trail snaking up the mountainside and through the quiet forest for longer than one would expect. Where the journey was tedious and frustrating to him in times past, the Geshrin now welcomed the time it gave him to formulate what he’d say to the man who would greet him and his Neko companion.

The Neko officer, still dressed in her white, skirted uniform, at this point in their adventure wished she had worn her usual uniform. Though she welcomed the new sensation of natural cold, she was too caught up in everything around her to actually be cold. With each step leading them closer to the castle ahead, Shizuka quickened her pace. She moved to catch up to the Geshrin, keeping a step behind him to let him think to himself, the pensive look on his face caused the cheery mood in the Lioness to lower and turn into more concerned. What's really inside, and why does he seem so... worried?

In time, the path came to an end, making way to the towering castle’s low stone walls. In the low moonlight, dark green banners emblazoned with black centipede could be seen fluttering in the nighttime breeze. Nicholas still led the way as they approached the wooden gatehouse that allowed entrance to the complex’s interior, pulling it open—something he would never have had to do in the past—before ushering Shizuka inside and closing it shut behind them. They were apparently expected, for a large crossbeam slid from an opening in gate’s adjacent wall, locking it shut. Before them, the castle rose up, reaching towards the heavens above, totally unlit on the higher levels. A man stood just in front of the entrance to what Nicholas knew was the main foyer; he looked almost as if a statue in the dark, standing unmoving except for the movement of his hakama in the wind, his arms crossed under his kimono’s short sleeves. He wore two swords—a katana and a wakizashi—at his hip, and bore a disfiguring scar on the left side of his face, an injury to which he’d lost his eye.

Nicholas didn’t stop walking until he stood face to face with the man, putting down the bags he carried before delivering a slight bow. “Good evening, Gempachi-san,” he said, addressing the older man with a formal familiarity. “It has been too long. I trust things have been well for you here.”

Shizuka never moved from Nick's side, though with the formal situation coming to arise she did keep a few paces away until she was introduced. When her first officer approached the warrior, the Neko bowed her head to the man silently and at a much more lower and respectful bow then her Geshrin. There wasn't really much she could say until she was introduced, but she did gaze up at the intimidating swordsman with a curious yet firm glance. The story behind the scar would be something she'd have to ask her first officer later, as someone that looked as battle worn as him must have quite an impressive history of combat.

The man identified as Gempachi reciprocated the bow more deeply, but did so very quickly. He stared past Nicholas with his one good eye, never looking directly at Shizuka for more than a split second, but always watching her. “Greetings, Nicholas-sama. It is good to see you again,” he said with a gravelly voice. He may have been handsome in his younger days, before he had the scar, but it was hard to discern in the darkness. In a way, he looked much like Nicholas, except shorter, and had more Yamataian features than the younger man did. “I had heard that you were an officer now, but not a Shosa! Congratulations,” he commented, jovially patronizing Nicholas. His tone quickly changed to complete seriousness, “You should have provided more details of what you brought with you, Saiga-sama. Now different lodging preparations will have to be made; adjacent chambers would not be appropriate.”

“That will not be necessary, Gempachi-san. This is my commander, Endo Shizuka, Taisa in our Empire’s glorious Star Army and I am her first officer,” Nicholas replied in a way that sounded like an order. “I invited her with me so that we may discuss command decisions during our leave.”

“Sakiko-sama would not approve of that decision and nor do I,” Gempachi said, trying to maintain a small modicum of respect.

“Sakiko-sama does not need to be informed,” Nicholas shot back. “In your monthly report, you are to state that I was accompanied by a military colleague and nothing more. Do not dishonor my wish, Gempachi-san.”

The older Geshrin remained silent for a long while after that, his expression as cold as the biting gust that flowed through the castle’s courtyard. “I will endeavor to fulfill your order, Nicholas-sama. The usual chamber has been prepared for you, as well as the one that shares an adjoining wall.” With those words, he turned on a heel and stepped back up the stairs that lead into the foyer, at the top of which he would stop, if only for the moment it was required to say, “And welcome home, Saiga-sama.”

Shizuka quietly observed the exchange between her first officer and what appeared to be a servant of the family. The portion of the conversation where she was addressed was curious to the Taisa, she wasn't sure if it involved her being a woman or her being a Neko. The second option became the answer in her head, as she remembered just how much Nick seemed to have distain towards her kin. The subtle hints at the beginning, the conversations where she would be mad, they all pointed to there being a root to his actions... and this was it. She had once believed that family could be the case, and had cleared it up more when he said she would never be able to come to his real home—this confirmed it. A comical moment in Shizuka's mind played out, she had once read a manga one of the other engineers on the first ship she served on that involved a samurai who looked like the man who greeted them. The young fighter in the graphic novel had to defeat the warrior in combat for him to respect him, so with this concept in mind, the Lioness pictured a fight between them in full animated glory. Normally she’d giggle at her own stupidity, but the atmosphere around her only caused her to keep a stern face.

Once Gempachi had retreated back into the old, traditional building, Nicholas retrieved the luggage from the ground beside him, slinging it back over his shoulder. “Let’s get inside, then,” he said, smiling as he gestured for her to enter the castle. Having spoken to the older man the dread left Nicholas’ eyes, and he no longer seemed especially strained or glum. “I know it’s late, but I’m sure there is much we have to discuss regarding the Senbu,” he said, still grinning, his words betraying what he really wanted to ask her—Would you like to go to the onsen, Shizuka? Explore the forest? Witness the astounding view across the ocean from the top of my Kurayami-jo?

Whenever the two had previously mentioned having a discussion in private, it had turned into a steamy situation behind closed doors. So reading his mention of that as a hint, the Taisa's previously impassive expression brightened up into a perky grin. "Ah, another discussion I see. Yes, that sounds like a wonderful idea, Shosa," Shizuka said, with a mock formal tone as she crossed her arms behind her back professionally and nodded for him to take the lead. She was pleased to see him in a better mood, and glad that the situation seemed to lose its bleak facade almost in an instant.

At least she isn’t angry at how I am having to treat her, Nicholas thought, leading her up and inside at her nodding confirmation. The inside was dimly lit by paper lanterns, and they could see that large portions off of the castle’s main hallway were uninhabited and unused. After the first floor, only the way to their quarters on the fifth was illuminated, and following Gempachi’s departure, they wouldn’t see another soul for the rest of the evening. It was obvious that this place, although magnificent, held but a shell of its former prestige. “After we drop off our things, I’d like to show you something,” he said as they walked through the empty palace, a feeling of bold adventurousness washing over him once he knew that they were out of any living person’s earshot. “If you’re up for it, that is.”

PAUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back