• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Senbu Ep 34 - An interview, with double the trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

5tar

ON: Aries Star Station - Meeting Room #W-371

It had been a half day since Santô Hei Rei Fang-Liang had received her first orders. Fresh from training, she was picked up by shuttle and sent off to the Yamataian Star Army's Aries Station. Today would be her first interview, a daunting event for sure. From the moment she arrived on the station, she was issued a new set of directions. These lead her to a door which was simply labeled with 'W-371.' The first instincts would be, of course, to announce herself using the station's computer. That would let the officer inside know that she had arrived, then they could allow her in or ask her to wait depending on what was currently happening.

Rei, whom was usually referred to as Chime throughout the bulk of her military training regimen, stood at attention in front of the door. With a loud, high-pitched voice, she announced herself to the computer. "Santô Hei Rei Fang-Liang reporting!" She wasn't nervous at all, really. It just... wasn't like her.

There were a few long seconds before any response was given to the Hei. Then, a very curt and professional woman's voice returned the request. "You may enter," was all that she said, then not a nanosecond later the door opened up, and sitting behind a rather large wooden desk were two chairs with two identical looking officers. The obvious differences were the color in eyes and hair, one was pink haired and blue eyed, the other was the opposite. "Take a seat," one of the Chui's offered with a gesturing point to the chair across from them while the other one eyed over the new soldier with a critical looking glance and then said, "I hope the trip went well." The two Nekovalkyrjan, gray-paneled officers were even sitting identically—both armed with a data pad and a list of questions.

Rei entered the room, mentally marveling at the hilariously stereotypical situation this was turning out to be. Of course, stereotypes are often based in truth. Without a moment of delay, she took a seat in the chair across from the two, and mimicked their way of sitting. Whether or not this was intended as an insult, coincidental, or just poking fun would be left to the two officers to decide. "I'm ready."

They both raised a brow simultaneously and while one tabbed over to a new page, the other placed her data pad on the desk with Rei's profile on it. "I guess we should start right away. The Senbu is a big ship and there's always a lot going on," the pink haired one said, and then the other picked up where she left off. "We're the senior administration officers, Chui Chouko Ayano and Ayane. The Taisa usually likes to do all the interviews for the ship's staff, but she's on a much needed vacation." Then, just like before, the other continued on where one left off, placing her data-pad on the table as well. "First, how do you feel working intimately with others?"

Rei was laughing hysterically on the inside, and so she took a moment to breathe before responding. Oh wow, were they actually finishing each other’s sentences?! "Er... well, I haven't got any qualms with it." She scratched her chin and shifted into a more comfortable sitting position, with one leg over the other.

"We'll have that covered by one of our medical staff once you get aboard, just to be sure," the blue haired one said as she went to add that to the tasks of the medical staff, which was quickly shuffled down to Santô Hei Fuse Mai. "The next question, I guess, would have to be: if you were in a situation where the only two results were the permanent death of a member of your unit and the completion of an integral mission, or saving that member and sacrificing the mission. What would you do?" Both of them seemed rather interested in this answer, inching forward in their seats as they watched intently while she gave her answer.

The Santô Hei returned to her previous sitting position, her strange bipolar shift having been placated. Chime thought for a moment, in a comical pose with her index finger pressed against her bottom lip. Once she was satisfied with the answer she had come up with in her head, she spoke. "I think... I'd probably try to complete the mission. I mean, there's one person in my unit, or the lives of thousands of Yamataian citizens, right? But, I digress. It would depend on just what was at stake if that mission were to fail."

The pink haired Neko felt that the answer was a little too fluffy for her taste, with her head cocked to the side a bit she asked, "So that means you would choose the first answer then?" The blue one then added, "Your answer is very nice, but it wasn't any we offered with the question." The two officers didn't seem all too impressed with the answer, even though the delivery would have been on key for most, they were a little harder to please.

"Your question was flawed, then. Do you honestly want to teach recruits that all remotely similar situations, that is, situations in which those two outcomes are the only possible ones—that those situations don't differ from each other? That is flawed logic. As I said before, I would do whatever would save more lives." Chime was becoming agitated with these two. If they wanted to play this whole questioning thing aggressively, then so would she.

"We're not here to teach recruits anything, we are simply here to interview you and provide you with questions. It seemed that hit on the head must have done quite a bit of damage if you cannot answer them correctly. If I wanted your opinion, Santô Hei, I would have asked for it. I wanted your answer, and if you want to continue that tone with your superior I will see to it that you'll end up in the same correctional situation as the previous Hei to disobey one of the Senbu’s commanders. Do I make myself clear?" The pink haired one seemed to have quite a lot to say to that, finding that their first assumptions about the newbie were correct, they were dealing with an arrogant unit.

Yet another shift in the tone of her voice and her posture, and Chime pressed her index and thumb against the bridge of her nose. "Yes ma'am." These two had already gotten on Chime's nerves, but if she didn't get onto the ship, she wouldn't have the chance to get back at them. So for now, she'd play their game. "I'd sacrifice a team-mate to complete the mission."

"Well, I guess there's no other place for her then with the rest of them," the blue one said after Chime was complaisant with her answer. "Ah yes, she'd fit perfectly in that wing. Sign her to Jotô Heisho Shifuda's squad; I'm not too sure she'd be able to keep up with the other squadrons," the pink one said openly as she picked up her own data pad and did just that. "Well, that concludes this interview. We have no further questions." From there, the blue one pressed a few commands into her data pad then spoke as she rose to her feet simultaneously with her sister. "You’re here by assigned to Jôtô Heisho, Shifuda Kuriko's squadron. After completing a physical with Nitô Hei Fuse Mai aboard the ship, you are to unpack your things in your quarters and prepare for the unit’s return to duty. We ship off tomorrow night." Then, with that done, both of them bowed curtly with their heads and waited for Chime to make her exit.

Chime stood up and bowed in return, Chinese-style, with her head bowing lower than the higher-ranking officers. She pivoted on one foot and strode out of the room.

END

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back