• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: Cirrus Station [Episode 2] Little Problems

Tweak had no memory of her training since everything she knew was pre-programmed information that she had been born with. No memory remained of her life on the starship she had been posted on, the crew she had worked with, the things she had seen and done...everything before today was like opening a door in a room and finding an emptiness that sucked her in and repelled her at the same time.

She mentally shook off the feeling, looking down, then back up at Dream and returning her attention to what the druidess was saying. Some of the words, most of which the neko assumed to be factions or races by the way they were used in the sentences, were unknown. Tweak had no information on the outside universe, unlike Dream who was a part of a sort of group mind...this "Polysentience" always connected her to and updated her on the status of the Free State and its citizens.

The hug caught Tweak off-guard and she just stood still for a moment, her emotions slowing their roller-coaster reactions and settling into a dull aching numbness. She silently returned the taller girl's hug as Dream held her tighter and one of her hands slowly combed through the damp blue hair around Dream's neck and shoulders of its own volition until Dream pulled away.

Tweak bowed her head. "Thank you so much for trying...but I...I may not remember this t-tomor-r-row." She paused, trying to get herself back under control as her voice began catching in the stutter that she got when emotionally stressed. They were still in the barracks, there were other people around...she wanted to stay with Dream so much, but...

She turned and retreated to her bunk, climbing up in two jumps.

The bed was a good substitution for the hiding place Tweak sought out from time to time and wanted now. Since the bed was the fifth one up, it was raised nearly high enough away from the floor to keep other from being able to see her directly if she curled up in the corner. And this is what she did, ignoring the water that her jacket had soaked up from Dream's dress.

I won't remember...but I wish I could...

Later on that evening...

The members of Security Team 35 had made their way to the topmost area of the Biological research facility. The journey there from their modest living conditions to the small, ornate Administrator quarters doorway was simple enough; a walk to the more public areas of the central station, a short tram-ride to the Biological facilities, and another set of stairs, all led by Kess and Mimi. The team was kept out of the way of the scientists for the most part, but many passer-by workers shot them smiles or waves...there were apparently a few whom did appreciate the security teams' work around the Cirrus.

While Mimi was as joyful as ever, what with the success of her assigned squad, even Kess seemed more or less in agreeable terms with the situation. Even though the rest of the security team was told they could wear casual clothing to this unofficial ceremony, Kess and Mimi remained in their Station Attendant uniforms (or rather, retained their simple volumetric images...it was uncertain whether or not they could actually change these at all).

When they reached the doorway, they would find it open, ready to welcome them.

---

The inside Purina Popjoy's personal quarters could either be an immense surprise...or not, depending on how you much one knew the Bio-lab administrator. The room was, quite literally, a jungle.

Lush green carpet, thick as grass and comfy as wool, splotched and dirty from many a soil spot spilled by the thousands of plants tracing the room. Exotic shrubs, flowers, herbs and small trees on shelves, floors, balconies, alcoves and even hanging from the ceiling themselves. In the distance, the sound of running water and even small birds and insects were audible...but whether or not these sounds were from the real things, or simply recorded ambiance was difficult to tell.the security team would be hard-pressed to tell if they were still in the Cirrus at all.

The doorway Security Team 35 entered immediately broke into the "living room" of Purina's quarters...a small chair and work desk sat in the corner, a bookshelf on the other. Off to the side, an open archway led farther into Purina's room. The most prominent piece in front of them, however, was a large elaborate table, occupied by a what appeared to be a bowl of fruit, and a small model-like object...hard to tell of what at the distance they were at.

"Purina will be with us in a second," Kess said, standing at the doorway with Mimi, hands folded. "Just have a seat until then, I suppose."

Dream, of course, DIDN'T SIT DOWN at all.

Instead, she was dancing.

Yes, dancing. Here and there, tiptoeing, looking at the plants, sniffing flower, touching leaves, and, generally, acting like a hyperactive six-years-old who had never really seen a garden in her whole life.

"Most of the words coming out of her mouth were "woah", "awesome", "cool", "neat", "beautiful", and "paradise". Sometimes, even some more technical terms such as "artificial ecosystem", "oxygen" and similar.

As an exact opposite mirror of Dream, Keziah sat down.

She had come along with the rest of her team, now dressed in her civies. As much as she adored her uniform, she wasn't yet used to it, and it still felt stuffy from time to time. Especially wearing it with a concussion making its slow way through her head. But she felt compelled to come with them, a kind of dogged persistence rearing its head deep within her.

The dizziness had stopped about an hour ago. She had actually managed to catch a bit of sleep before the flurry of activity roused her. A shower, and pulling off the skinsuit, had done wonders for her. Not quite revitalized, but she certainly felt better than just a few hours before.

Even though the world wasn't doing its tilting thing, her head still throbbed, and she gently cradled it in her hands, elbows on knees, her eyes closed.

Tweak had recovered enough to spend some time writing after her conversation with Dream and before the call for Team 35 to the Bio-labs. Several things were added to her crystaline tags, too.

She wished there was a way to carry over her feelings about things...but she couldn't know if they did or not. Was how she felt about certain people and things the same today as it was yesterday? Looking back at the previous day's entry regarding Dream, Tweak smiled. She was fairly sure that she felt the same about Dream. As long as she was around, Tweak would continue to count her as a close friend.

The news that there was an empire that built others like her to kill and destroy other races was disturbing and bothered Tweak greatly, but she tried to tell herself that there was nothing she could do to stop that...she could only do her best to show everyone on Cirrus that she wasn't like her kin. The information about where she came from was not written in her journal -- Tweak knew that all it would take would be the wrong person decoding and reading it to get her in trouble -- but instead was engraved with other important info in one of her tags with layered encryptions strong enough that it took her over an hour to break through each day. It would be safe there.

-----

That evening, a somewhat-more-upbeat Tweak, dressed in her civvies like Keziah, followed the rest of the Team to Administrator Popjoy's labs, then her quarters, and sat down to wait. The scientist had sounded very pleased that her specimen had been recovered un-killed, so this was probably a prolonged thank-you...but this was a chance to see some other parts of the station, and Tweak was grateful for a reason to leave the cramped barracks.

Cleaning Flower was a larger undertaking then Serra had first though. a lot more sludge had gotten in then she first thought, so she largely spent her time cleaning out Flower's motors and parts, while Flower itself cleaned it's chassis.

"My my," Serra said as she looked into Flower's main chassis. "Lot in here..." She then looked up at the others, who were all switching to civvies. "Ah!" Turning her gaze to the junker, Serra clapped both hands together and bowed slightly, which drew the droid's rail eye to her. "I'm sorry flower, but I need to get changed and leave for a moment, you can handle the rest of your repairs and cleaning, right?" Serra waited for a moment, and assumed Flower agreed, when it started using the wash cloth she gave it to start cleaning its hull itself. Serra just stared at Flower, it learned from her how to clean itself.

Leaving the junker to it's cleaning, Serra went to get cleaned and dressed. Since she didn't descend to the sewer system, her shower, which was brief, was to remove the smell of sweat and the suit she was forced to wear. After she dried herself, she got dressed in what she thinks are civilian clothes. Which is to say, she dressed herself in a fairly elaborate Toga and shawl, both made of pure silk and a pair of shin high sandals . Serra followed the others to Administrator Popjoy's quarters.

Lucius was rather surprised when he walked into the large arboretum. Well, he wasn't so much surprised that there was one; he was surprised that they were being allowed to see it. But it did look incredible for the most part. Lucius had been on ships so long that plants like these were almost alien to him. In fact, some of them probably were alien or mutated in some way. He was mildly entertained by Dream's enthusiasm and smiled as he watched her.

Lucius nodded at Kess and took a seat, crossed a leg and folded his hands in his lap.

From behind the curtain of ivy-like extensions hanging below the door, a rush of motion burst forth, entering the dining area with a gasp of gleeful surprise.

"You've arrived!"

It was Purina, of course, still easily recognizable in her off-duty attire. Her hair, a vibrant and lustrous pink, was done up in yet another ever-changing style. This time, a delicate long double-braid, capped with a delightful little flower-bud and hung over her right shoulder. Her attire consisted of a dainty bright-yellow sun dress, patterned with enough colorful flowers to let itself become indistinguishable from the very room had it not been set on a sunflower background. It could be noted that the sun dress accentuated her womanly features very well, as well, and she was (not surprisingly) barefoot on her no-doubt marvelously comfortable carpet.

"My little heroes!" Purina clapped her hands together in glee. "I owe you so much for what you did for me!" She said again, positively launching herself at the nearest security member, the seated captain, Lucius. Purina clasped him tightly, hugging the near life out of the poor guy, squealing thank-you's through her smile. Purina then turned and did the same to Serra...and Dream...James, Kezziah, Ozzy, and all of the rest of Squad 35. By the time Purina was done, the entire squad would be gasping for air.

"Oh, I don't know how I can thank you all. Not many would go out of their way to do this for me...and such a dangerous thing too!" Purina said, concern lacing an otherwise overjoyed tone as she walked lightly towards the table. The administrator then reached out towards the center of the table, towards the bowl of decorative fruit, grabbed a rather enticing-looking apple, and delicately bit into the crunchy red flesh.

"I wish to repay you all somehow...but I don't have much. Perhaps some of you have a suggestion? I just cannot let this good deed go unrewarded."

Lorcan followed with an air of disinterest in wherever they were going. Of course having taken up the offer of not having to dress up in his military uniform the big fellow was in all black from head to toe and in between. Loose black jeans with giant pockets, tucked into his black steel toed combat boots, where of course his knives sat contentedly. A black sleeveless tabard drawn tight by leather ties on the sides nearly reached his toes and over all that he had a good old fashioned black leather trench coat that seemed to buckle from the collar all the way pat his hips. Doubled with his hair and sun glasses and tall collar he looked like a tank ready to fire at any given moment, big and intimidating was what he looked like. Bored and Sleepy was what he felt like. His hands were in his pockets, playing with his wallet and various little things he'd pick pocketed off of countless people.

Upon entrance of Purina's bio-lab room... thing... whatever it was... Lorcan lifted his head and slid a hand out of his pocket in order to pull his sunglasses off Lucius and take a rather stone-faced but interested look around at the flora springing up around the room. Now this was a place Lorcan could easily come to like. It was acctually rather... clean and nice smelling and roomy despite all of the plants scattered across the place. A few plants caught his eyes and he identified them as wither drugs or components in crude poisons he used when he was a fighter back in the City. Taking a deep breath as they were led into the room Lorcan stayed back and then slid inside behind everyone else, leaning back up against the door frame. When Purina wrapped her arms around him he looked down at her curiously and let out a pained huff of breath of air as she squeezed him and then let him go. Drawing in another deep breath he watched her and felt his mouth water.

For several reasons of course, both the fact he was well aware she was eating REAL FOOD and the fact... she was a she... and no other female on this miserable thing had ever gotten THAT personal with him... even if it had been a hug of thanks. Seconds later he was soo glad he had on a trench coat. Watching her eat the apple and then ask for suggestions of how she could pay them back he decided to take a leap and go for the gold. Casting a glance over at Lucius to make sure the man was firmly seated Lorcan spoke up into the ensuing silence. "Well for starts an apple or something solid to eat would be appreciated..." He would have put on the tail end of '..because Montreal feeds us shit and Mr.Fancy pants didn't let us have breakfast...' [[correct me if this is a different day]] but decided not to invoke Lucius's wrath in front of her.

Keziah opened her eyes when Purina swept into the room, and tried not to find it odd at how drippingly sincere she sounded. Completely the opposite of Montreal. But maybe that just pointed to how rare and difficult it was to raise a Muck Shambler. Quite possibly the thing could've taken years and years of intensive care and research to grow to the size it was, and instead did the same in months hidden deep in the sewers.

Then came the hug, and that was completely unexpected. Her shoulder was still sore, and the fierce hug from the smaller woman made it flare up. That, more than anything, knocked the wind out of her.

As she recovered her breath, her eyes swiveled around to the hot-headed marine. He had the best suggestion she had heard in a long time. In response, her stomach grumbled, having eaten nothing the entire day. The thought of gorging on real food was great.

Yard dog or not, Cyril will be jealous, she thought, faintly, keeping her bliss inside her.

"I'd like to second that, ma'am." Keziah straightened up in her seat, but she still wasn't quite ready to stand. "Though I could go for more than an apple, if you don't mind me saying."

Dream was, well, quite dazzled by Purina's dress.

She was too panicky to be of any use in emergency situations, but... what the hell, she had good taste in clothing, she had to admit that.

As she tried to hug her, Dream tried to point out how much it was not a good idea, radioactively speaking... but she didn't make it in time.

Oh, well.

She grabbed one of the bizarre alien fruits on the table and tried to take a bite. It was similar to the one that Purina took: large, vaguely spherical, and red in color.

With the mouth still full, she stared at the fruit and the bite for a couple of seconds, looking at the whitish interior while chewing slowly.

It was... weird. It tasted like nothing she'd ever eaten.

It wasn't particularly good, but it wasn't disgusting either. And, anyway, she was sorta hungry.

However, she wasn't here to eat! She slammed the fruit into the table with a loud noise, as to attract attention. "I have another request, Lifemaker Joy!"

Ah, yes, apparently she had found a nickname for Purina, too.

"I want to make a temple on the Cirrus. In order to do so, I need that empty armory. Can it be arranged?"

Lucius had a bit of a worried look on his face when Purina had hugged him. He was worried about being irradiated. But he didn't think it would be a huge problem, since it was only a little exposure.

He brushed his hands down his shirt slightly, getting a few wrinkles out. He let the team voice a few of their requests. Lucius added his own, mostly as a reinforcement, but also something he would like. "Food besides what is available in the vending machines would be much appreciated. I'm sure the crew would be willing to pay for it instead of paying for the Cassefin's treats."

He paused a moment, he didn't want to push the concept of being allowed into the nanofloor Rec area yet, since that seemed like a prize for a later success, so he chose something else. "Would it be acceptable for the team to be able to visit this area from time to time?"

"Oh dear," Purina said, placing a hand against her cheek lightly. "It appears, in my excitement, I've revealed one of my more secret projects...how embarrassing!" She exclaimed in a low voice, sounding far too happy to have been hiding such a dreadful secret.

"You see...I am not allowed to grow these fruits. Technically, any edible plants are forbidden for personal growth...but you see, I've lived my life on these," she held up the apple. "Cassefin's health foods are...nice...I suppose...but, I like to enjoy something different every once in a while. Oh, it's so exciting to be all rebellious sometimes!" Purina squealed, running her hands along her long braid of brilliant pink hair.

"Yes yes, of course, you may all have some, free of charge...but I'm afraid these are all I have at the moment. I have vowed to never alter to growth rate of my plants or specimens, so each of my fruits and vegetables take a while to produce." She motioned to the bowl of delectable fruit in the center of the table, next to an exceptionally detailed miniature model of, what appeared to be, a biological dome containing a number of specimens. There were enough apples, oranges and bananas there for each member to have but one...just a single fruit each. "But, dear Captain, I'm afraid I can't allow you all to visit my room on any occasion you feel like...it will most definitely arouse suspicion from Administrator Montreal, and I'm sure we don't want that! But if we find due reason for it...I wouldn't mind having you all visit me at all."

No answer for Dream, though. Perhaps Purina didn't hear her.

Dream coughs dramatically.

"Purina." She calls out. "I'll be taking over that armory."

It's not even a question anymore. It's a statement.

Serra was staring at a red apple she picked up after Purina said they could have one. What Purina said about them caused Serra to think.

"Ms. Popjoy, if this is healthy food," she said pausing long enough to take a bit, chew it, then swallow. "Why would Ms. Montreal not want them around?"

She asked, then took another bite. Kinda to drive the point home. If the food is healthy, why is it illegal.

One piece of fruit.

That was it.

Well, it wasn't the worst offer she'd ever heard. Keziah took a banana, one of the more exotic ones--a deep and thoroughly satisfying shade of brown. One of the homes she had served in was a banana plantation. It was always the darker ones she ate.

She peeled and ate it slowly, savoring it. It might be the last bit of real food in a long while.

Purina tilted her head sideways at Dream, slightly confused.

"The...armory? I don't know about anything like that..." Purina said cautiously, but then perked up immediately. "but I don't see why you couldn't, as long as you don't do anything in there that with anger Cassefin."

Administrator Popjoy then turned to Serra, smiling sweetly as she watched the rest of the marines enjoy their rewards, the bowl in the center left empty and forgotten.

"I am unsure why it is illegal...perhaps she believes that allowing outside food will also lead to the uprise of contraband items of more detrimental effect...drugs, weapons and the like. That would be horrible!" Purina said exasperatedly. "I have to hide the fact that I grow a few organic foods here from Cassefin's prying eyes...I do hope that doesn't seem too dastardly of me, I know how it must look..." she frowned, looking a little disappointed with herself. That quickly changed as she whirled around and brought her attention (and the attention of the room), to the upper corner of the dining area.

In the corner, a large, yellow flower of unknown origin was in full bloom, its petals and bud covering a large area of the corner. Purina smiled sweetly. "You see, I figured out where Cassefin hid her camera in my room...I had to do a lot of snooping around her office to accomplish that. Then, it was a matter of putting this Blooming Sasarai in the corner!" She squeaked in delight. "You see, the Sasarai flower goes in and out of blooming periods at the exact same time every day...and it's during those times I water and tend my private garden!" Purina spoke with glee. It was fairly obvious she had been holding her little plot to herself this whole time and was dieing to tell someone.

"Hee hee...Miss Cassefin hasn't said a word, too. I suppose she's just too proud to have to explain to me WHY I should move my Sasarai flower...she's not supposed to be monitoring my private quarters, after all. Oh well."

Dream conceded herself a smile. Purina seemed a tad misadjusted (from her perspective, at least), but not terribly wrong like Cassefin was.

"You have a beautiful garden here, Joy." She replied, nodding sagely. "Your hands must have been really blessed by Terra. Don't let Headmaster Real ruin this corner of Gaia for the sake of her rules."

She tapped softly on the table. "Just... don't let other dangerous things escape like that shambler earlier. It's troublesome."

Apparently, the Nepleslians liked those fruits more than the conventional food that had been given them on the station. For a moment she considered the idea of growing some in the temple, but she discarded the idea immediately after: She didn't want to argue with Real. Yet.

However...

"...Joy, wouldn't you mind giving me some of the flowers you have here? Or even just the seeds. They all look so pretty."

"Joy...hee hee," she giggled to herself at Dreams mistake. "I don't see why not..." Purina said thoughtfully, crossing her arms and stroking at her long braid once more as she moved to one of the cabinets near the end of the room. "You must be careful where you plant them, though...some of these are very delicate, and require specific growing conditions."

When Purina returned, she had a small jar with her, previously prepared for another set of her own experiments, no doubt. Inside the transparent glass were a number of small, colorful seeds and buds. Purina held out the jar for Dream, giving her a sincere smile. "Make sure to take good care of them."

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…