Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: Cirrus Station [Episode 5] A Unique Encounter

"As delighted as I am to be gifted with the presence of more females, I wish I knew why you two are accompanying us to the observation room. You weren't called, and I can only assume whatever we're wanted for would be Cirrus Security business, not VIP Bodyguard business. Besides, don't you have a body to guard?" Stovaa growled the last sentence, not entirely trusting the armed and armoured women. He stayed at the back, watching stoically and trying to focus on what was going on at the edge of his vision, out of the corners of his eyes.

His attention turned to Noboru for a second. "I always assumed Yamataian Admirals were promoted BECAUSE of their ability to be bad at their jobs? S'how I always saw it."

"That's a prerequisite requirement," Noboru replied to Stovaa, "It mostly involves whoever bitches the most to the current Emperor or Empress. Either that or it's the dynastic system of 'you get this job because you're family'. Look at Hanako. Only reason she was promoted was because she was Ketsurui, and look at how great she's done her job."

"Oh, don't get me started on that bitch." Cyril said, rolling his eyes. He supposed that Taisa Hanako had a little less blood on her hands then most of her peers. But from what he'd heard she couldn't be relied upon to keep a grasp of the idea that Yamatai didn't exactly rule the world anymore. Some of the interNEP sites he visited hardly ever mentioned her without following up with 'political liability'. If they were that polite. "You ever hear those stories 'bout how she acted back in the first IRC? It's a wonder they don't keep her out back o' the palace on a chain."

"Yeah, I heard." Noboru sighed, looking at Cyril again. "Not exactly a moment that really stirred pride in my home nation. The only thing that was worse was how that bitch didn't let the Freespacers' diplomats join the IRC because they sent an automata. If that's not outright racism, then I don't know what is."

"That is a problem with a Utopian Empire, my friends." Kokuten said, overhearing the conversation as he looked over the people on the lift, being sure to add two to his count with the two Uniques. As the last of Squad 35 got on, he pressed the correct button and the lift took them up.

"You have one ruling family which has an extreme amount of influence in all the affairs of the civilization, along with the belief of a perfect society, and you have a group of people who eventually gain a superiority complex." The Doctor nodded, his eyes glowing through the visor.

"Of course, they may not admit it, but Yamataian citizens have a generally negative view on the rest of the universe, despite their guise of polite behavior. They are very wary of the space around their borders and are not too slow in dispatching apparent opposition. Though, years of constant war will do that to a people." The Captain finished, made a considerate bow to Akio, and took a more personal tone. "However, that is just my opinion on what I've seen. I don't aim to offend and hope sincerely that I have not offended you, Noboru."

As he said apologized, the elevator doors opened to the floor. Kokuten stepped out, and took a short look around. He seemed to be a tad chipper since he learned there was some new thing waiting for them up here.

God fucking dammit, I want a fucking cigar. Kokuten thought, his appearance belying his mind. He began to go over why he should've never touched those cigars in the first place. One of which being how he apparently would get a taste for them after smoking just one.

"I'm not offended in the least, Sergeant." Noboru nodded in Kokuten's direction. His face was open, smiling, accepting of Kokuten's theories. It was as though Noboru had never been associated with Yamatai in the first place.

"You'll understand that, in light of recent events transpiring amongst the peoples of my homeland, with their nationwide Messiah-Complex, gunboat diplomacy and ham-fisted military policies, I've become a bit... Disenchanted with my progenitors." Still smiling, he waited with his squadmates as the elevator headed for the weapons lab.

The elevator was kind of small considering how many people were being packed into it. Not much elbow room to be honest. (Except for a few whom everyone gave distance.)

Claire didn't mind it at all.

"Sure is a slow elevator, isn't it?" Claire commented from behind Keziah. She was notably -very- close to her, her chest almost pushing against her friend's back. She turned her head to look back at Deacon though, folding her arms as if she were doing nothing out of the ordinary. "Well, they say 'don't bring a knife to a gunfight.' But I take it that only applies if the one with the gun is aware of your presence to begin with, right?" She didn't seem to mind the implications of what she was saying. As usual, it was likely that she was simply just curious.

Too damn small, thought Keziah. She was wedged between Claire and one of the Uniques, and did her best to give the camisole'd one a bit more breathing room, and bumped into Claire.

"Sorry," she said behind her, even as her hand discretely caught Claire's and held it. She took half a step forward, closer now than she was before.

It was loud in here, with so many people talking at once. She snapped her visor back and offered the Unique a small, quick smile, an apologetic one for the behavior of most of her comrades. Someone might as well act like they're still there. Probably transmitting everything to their Captain.

Deacon smiled genuinely and leaned nearer to Claire to speak so she could hear him clearly.

"Do they really say that? And who, by the way, are they? But you are correct in your assumption I will admit. My people, all but the Tikbalang, are taught that stealth and geurrilla warfare are good, no matter how advanced a ground force might be. If they don't know what to defend against, you have the upper hand. If they DO know what to defend against, you might have the upper hand, as they will be paranoid and jump at shadows..." He remained near to her, still with the smile on his muzzle as he did his best to not bump or jostle the others in the elevator, especially not the Uniques, or his superiors.

"Too true to the both of you sir." Cyril said, directing his comment towards the sergeant out of courtesy. Sergeant Kokuten had a real knack for eloquence, but Cyril still understood what he was getting at. "'course, if you want my opinion, they ditched the whole 'utopia' thing right around the first genocide. I mean, I don't care how good the standard of living is, if you're standing on top of a mound corpses to get there, you're doing something wrong."

"At least some o' you got the right idea and cut and ran, eh?" Cyril added, thumping Noboru hearty on the back with his artificial arm. Cyril was coming to think that he'd get along well with their new ex-pat. He may have the blood, but Noboru's mind was definately

The two Uniques remained relatively silent while they followed the group up the flight of stairs and short elevator up into the observation deck. It was hard to tell, what with their reflective faceplates pushed down, just how they were reacting to the verbal treatment they were receiving. For what it was worth, however, they seemed to be taking it rather well.

When the squad finally made its way past the large bulkhead, Administrator Dick Vanderhuge turned to them and placed a heavy hand on a large metal box set on a small table in the center of the room. "Well, glad you all had a chance got get acquainted," Dick said sarcastically, giving the two Uniques mixed in with the squad a passive glance. "Anyway. I've decided that such a special mission deserves a little extra attention. Truthfully, I was just going to have you all test these after our special guests have left..." Dick said as he opened the lid of the container and pulled out a deep-blue canister, a little larger than the size of a softball. "...but given the circumstances, I guess it wouldn't hurt to equip you all with these as a precautionary measure."

Kokuten took note to the somewhat disapproving air Vanderhuge gave the Uniques.

"Hm!" Kokuten hummed in a high note, focusing his eyes on the canister. He took off his helmet, and squinted.

"It looks like a can of Blue Moonie." The Doctor rubbed his chin for a moment. He tilted his head and looked at the Administrator "Is it a grenade?"

Noboru chuckled lightly. "Well, the first time was cut-and-run. The UOC sounded like a better offer than the Highest Fascist Utopia, so I ran. But the next time... Well, there's a story for another day."

He stepped off the elevator and followed Kokuten over to the box, withdrawing his own blue canister. He tossed it end-over-end a few times, snatched it out of the air, twirled it in his hands, and other elaborate, nigh-choreographed stunts before examining it from the other side of his visor.

"Yes, Sergeant Chiaki is right. What's this device's function, anyways?"

Dick smiled, as though he were intentionally withholding that information just so they could ask. As he opened his mouth to answer their question, however, another voice took its place. "...looks like a pressurized gas container," one of the Uniques sitting next to the bulkhead door commented suddenly, shifting her weight and hold on her weapon as she spoke. "Yes. Probably a catalyst for plasma induction?" The other Unique added almost immediately after, almost perfectly in sync with her comrade.

Administrator Vanderhuge looked a little surprised as he glanced at the two Uniques in the back. Kess and Mimi also looked a little surprised, Mimi a bit more in awe of their knowledge while Kess a little perturbed at their seemingly endless well of knowledge. "Er...yes. Ionized hydrogen atoms. When attached to the valves on the rear of your CSS:VW," Dick continued, turning his attention back to Squad 35, "the weapon will draw the gasses from the canister and administer them to your ceramic rounds. The mechanisms will create a plasma effect...a little step up from your standard rounds, and-"

"What's the grade on the plasma?" the Unique asked again.
"...6,000 kelvin," Administrator Vanderhuge said in a low, disappointed tone.
"Why is it so low?" she asked again, head tilted.
"It's designed to be low-grade," Dick explained.
"For what, cooking eggs?"

The ID-SOL didn't have much of an answer for that.

"Vanderhuge," Noboru said through the open face of his helmet, "If I were to throw this at one of the Uniques and shoot it mid-arc, would it explode and, if so, how large would the blast radius be?" His bold issue was almost immediately retracted from common knowledge, though, as he feared repercussions from not only his sergeant, but also the rest of the squad.

However, he then turned towards the Uniques and put the burden of explaining upon himself. "It's because our weapons are designed to minimize damage to vital components of the station, reduce casualties based on friendly fire and still cause sufficient damage to organic and armored targets. Case in point: you, if you don't quit it with the superior bitch attitudes, shut up and stick with the rear of the group."

He then turned to Kokuten. "I'm sorry, sir, but it had to be said. Those Uniques need to be put in their place."

Cyril reached around and gently smacked Noboru upside the head with his tail. If he didn't know any better he'd have sworn that the ex-Yamataian was trying a little too hard to fit in with the Nepleslians.

"It ain't nice to make fun of the mentally handicapped, you know." He said sotto voce with an expressive shrug. As his tail settled back down, he popped his visor with a sigh.

"But the man's right, you know. Let me throw those numbers into perspective for you lasses." Cyril said, turning towards the two smug girls in power armor. He would almost rather let Noboru have his way, but that would probably piss off the VIPs down below. As was, he somehow doubted that talking reason at the Uniques would work either. But at least it would make him feel better. "Back at the shipyards, we used to use 3000 K torches to cut through interior bulkheads. A 6000 K flash is already going to do a number on paint job, nevermind what'll happen if you boost the power too much. Now, if'n you want to be blowing holes into hot labs or something, be my guest. But it's coming out o' your pay."

Kokuten pulled out one of the blue canisters and inspected it dutifully. He only took mild notice in the Unique's interjection, but seem dissatisfied by the lack of respect. It was something he could not seem to understand. Just once, just once, he'd like to walk this station without meeting an asshole.

Cigar... said the back of Kokuten's mind, the part of his mind that also made him visibly twitch as the Uniques interjected again. Once again, he was reminded why he quit smoking cigars. The taste was enough to get him addicted, and now he needed another. As Noboru began to bite back at the unwelcome women, Kokuten took a look at his Variable Weapon's insertion slot and the the connection spot on his canister.

When Noboru spoke his apology, he looked at the man for a moment, raised a finger and went back to his observations. Then Cyril began, seemingly also steamed by the rudeness of the two women. Kokuten inserted the canister into it's place and secured, and then jumped in as soon as Cyril finished.

"Mmm, Noboru seems rather agitated... possibly violent." Kokuten said with a bit of concern. He looked over at the Uniques, "It seems clear now that neither of you have proper restraint, or discipline. I seem to have made the mistake of allowing you to join us." The Security Captain stepped up to them and pointed out over the bay. He seemed to carry a tougher tone than usual, though, it seemed like he was restraining himself from an outward view.

"As a Security Captain, I humbly request you vacate the station. My meaning, to be clear, is for you two not bothering to rendezvous with your Captain or the rest of your squad. Allowing you to roam the station on your own would only increase the chances of the peace being disturbed here. So, please, return to the ship you came here on." Kokuten finished. His left eye focused on one unique, and the other eye focused on the other. Then they both found focus on the left Unique and then one on the right.

Claire couldn't help but raise an Eyebrow at Deacon's response, "You ever done that? Stalk some guy who thought he was safe with a gun? And as for who says that... it's an old saying. I couldn't tell you where it came from. Likely someone who has never been around you guys." She shrugged. She smiled slightly when she felt her hand grabbed by Keziah, which she responded by teasingly running her hand along her hip and leg. But she stopped before they arrived at their destination, looking as if she had done nothing.

Then the arguing... and the tempers rising. She looked back at Deacon, wearing an expression that showed that she was beginning to understand why he tended to remove himself from these conversations. "Alright alright, kids. Let's play nice now. I know it's been a long day, but you're security detail. Come on, show at least some professionalism." She wasn't speaking hypocritically either. Claire did her duty when it was time to. She saved her antics for after it was done and she seemed to expect the same out of everyone else, including the uniques.

The large hyena smiled to Claire, ears twitching at the sound of the furless woman's hand rubbing against the material of another's armor, but in the tight confines of the elevator, and the only marginally larger space in the observation bay, he played it off. Looking down to his bone necklace, the turned it slowly, finally holding up a single bone. Most were sharp pointed teeth, but this was more rounded, and slightly longer.

"If one is not to bring a knife to a gunfight, I beg to differ. After all, you don't need a trigger finger when dealing with a sword."

He left the comment hanging, trusting that the woman would be smart enough to get the message he was trying to send, about what it was that this bone used to be a part of...someone's index finger. But his ears quickly laid back at Noburo's comment, and then his commander's comments towards the Uniques.

Deacon didn't like to get into the middle of these sorts of conflicts, but before that could get in the way of his doing his duty, he would step up behind Kokuten, his upper lip curliing slowly to show off one of his long off white fangs. He didn't like these conflicts, but as security for the station, and those on it, he would not allow these women to push his commanders around.

The two Uniques fell silent as Kokuten lectured them, seemingly listening intently to his words of concern and even his suggestion of their departure. Kess and Mimi looked as though there were ill…impossible, of course, but the two sure made the cut in the acting department. A few moments of sweet silence followed the CSS captain’s speech, the two Uniques standing still contemplating on his words thoughtfully…

…at least until the one on the left could no longer contain herself, a stifled laugh snorting its way out from behind the faceplate. The other Unique joined in, giggling giddily before gaining control of herself. “Cool your jets, tough guy,” she said casually while the other finally came down from her own fit of chuckles. “6,000 kelvin isn’t enough heat to cook a good steak…let alone cook a pirate. I’m not trying to mock you, just stating the obvious. You all are so defensive, I-”
The Unique was suddenly interrupted mid-speech by a familiar-sounding siren. Seconds after the short alarm started, another familiar-looking face appeared on several volumetric screens throughout the station. It was Cassefin, once again looking very excited as she made her announcement.

“Attention Cirrus Station! The thieving pirates have returned…and we are under attack again!”

---

The Unique duo quickly snapped to attention as the announcement was made, running to the one-way glass panes against the wall overlooking the loading area. The Cirrus Station loading crew, who were nearly done with their job, started to look worried…but after remembering what had happened last time this had happened, no more than an hour or so earlier, relaxed. Laj and Marrisa looked somewhat worried, but Captain Bell and her remaining Uniques didn’t seem too impressed by the announcement. The two Uniques nodded to each other, their heads bobbing up and down as though they were having a private conversation between themselves through their closed radio. When it appeared they were all said and done, they turned around to face Squad 35.

“They have moved into optimal range for the Cassefin Cannon!” Cassefin stated gleefully as a smaller picture occupied the volumetric screen of two vessels making a direct run towards the Cirrus. “I will show these uncouth ruffians once more just how capable my station is! Dick! Peke!” Cassefin said, once again throwing out her dramatic pointing gesture as she gave the final command. “Fire the Cassefin Cannon!”

Dick cursed under his breath as he watched the Head Administrator go through his motions. “Tess,” Administrator Vanderhuge spoke aloud, seemingly to nobody. Almost immediately, however, a Savtech with dark blue hair and a mature, aged look appeared before Dick. “Administrator,” Tess acknowledged him. “I will need a voice confirmation for you activation key.” When the ID-SOL spoke again, his tone had a definite air of authority. “Administrator Dick Vanderhuge, hereby giving his permission for the activation of the…Cassefin Cannon.” The blue-haired Savtech bowed graciously and vanished once more. Dick turned back towards the volumetric screen on the far end of the wall and watched intently.

Time seemed to stand still as thousands looked at the images around the station, awaiting the same kind of show they had received earlier. However, as more time passed on the two marauder vessels closed further in, there seemed to be no massive Planet Cork being fired. It took Cassefin the longest of all to realize something was wrong. “…uh…Peke?! DICK?! I SAID FIRE THE CASSEFIN CANNON!” A smaller image appeared in front of Cassefin, the screen becoming rather cluttered by now but still viewable, showing a very familiar and very frantic. “A-a-admin-master Cassebin! Th-th-there’s a power surge going through the main reactor! We’re losing power-“

Several things happened in very short succession at that point. Cassefin’s exclamation of angry confusion, fists pressed up against her temples, was abruptly cut off as the volumetric screens blinked away. The observation room, the loading bay…every room in the Weapon Labs went dark for a split second, being replaced by the dim red glow of emergency lighting. Several Savtechs suddenly appeared, most of them down below amongst the Cirrus loading crew, while Tess appeared in front of Dick, all of them seemingly conveying messages. Kess and Mimi were no exception; the two visualized in front of the room, their expressions filled with alarm. They spoke frantically, and in unison, making them hard to understand anything other than their intent of warning…and then they were gone, along with every other Savtech…and they did not return. Lastly, several loud banging sounds rang out throughout the lab…the sounds of bulkhead doors slamming shut, an automatic response to either threat or power failure. The bulkhead door at the end of the room, the only door to the observation deck Squad 35 was on, was no different from the others; it immediately slammed to a close.

As if all of this didn’t happen fast enough, mere moments after all of this occurred, barely enough time for the squad to so much catch their breath, a severe vibration shook the floor beneath them, followed by another shortly thereafter. Two vibrations…possibly from two crashes.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back