• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Cirrus Station [Episode 6] Sunny Side Up

MoonMan

Inactive Member
"Tired of all the busy streets and loud noise of the city?

The screen at the front of the large shuttlecraft fluttered on, depicting a Funky City super-highway streaming with vehicles of all shapes and sizes.

"Feeling a little stressed from your job? Need a little time to unwind?"

The soft-toned feminine voice hummed on, the picture changing to a business office cubical housing a very tired looking middle-aged Nepleslian man dressed in a casual (and slightly disheveled) suit and tie.

"Then look no further; for paradise is but a shuttle away."

In sharp contrast to the two images shown before, the screen slowly faded into white for a few seconds. When the bright white began to fade away, the picture had turned to one depicted a vast, white-sand beach in mid-day with clear, crystal blue water lapping against the shore with the smooth, gentle tide. As the video played on, it followed the words spoken from the speaker systems set around the shuttle in perfect unison.

A small map sprang up at the bottom corner of the screen, allowing the onlookers to spectate the introduction video while also learning the layout of the facility.

"The Sunny Side Up Ocean Resort knows that everyone, even the most diligent of workers, requires a relaxing break. With clear skies and serene environments in abundance, this newly-opened recreational resort takes full advantage of the natural beauty of Avante III. Where on other planets in the Nepleslian Empire accept the hussle and bussle of the city, Avante III only knows the peace and quiet of the soft waves as they splash against the sands."

"Aside from our renowned beaches, the Sunny Side Up Resort is fully staffed the meet any needs. Treat yourself to a reinvigorating day at our Bath and Spa, or enjoy the star-light evening at our outdoor terrace and bar, the Golden Sands Lounge. Famous cuisine from all over the universe is served by our award-winning chefs, able to suit the tastes of any man, woman or species with astounding results. Once you're done relaxing on the warm sands, feel free to make use of our outdoor recreational facilities and pools; lessons will be offered to those less experienced, of course, so that everyone may participate."

"Whatever your tastes or preferences are, you can be rest assured that here at the Sunny Side Up, all of your dreams and expectations will be surpassed. We look forward to having you, and please enjoy your stay."

Cassefin Montreal clapped a few times excitedly in her seat at the front of the shuttlecraft as the video stopped and the lights in the room turned bright again. "Well! That looked just delightful!" She exclaimed, readjusting the large-rimmed straw hat on her head with a twist.

The rest of Squad 35 also sat in the same shuttle, lined along the soft-cushioned seats following the walls of the large shuttle. Surprisingly true to the announcement Cassefin Montreal gave just a few days prior to then, the entire population of the Cirrus Research Station had been invited to attend a special vacation period away from their work. The opportunity to sample one of the newest recreational resorts on one of the recently-colonized oceanic worlds was one that did not come often, after all, and from the look of the introductory video the resort itself was indeed first-class.

The Head Administrator, apparently all too ready to get everything out of her visit, was dressed in a vibrant yellow, if somewhat thin-threaded, sun dress with matching straw hat and sandals. Beneath the somewhat transparent sundress, the groups could see a tasteful bright-red one-piece bathing suit. Her mood was markedly better than her usual fare as well; she was all smiles as she turned to make out the reactions of the rest of the passengers to the recently-shown video. "I must admit, this is my first time at a beach; I've never had the time to visit one, with my work and all!"

The shuttle, although small, was able to hold all of Squad 35, as well as a handful of other familiar faces. Most notable was both Guard Captain Abeck, the dynamic duo of George and Lenny, and the vibrantly cheery Administrator Purina Popjoy.

Abeck, sitting with the rest of the squad, was dressed in a simple set of blue swimming trunks and white silk button shirt, purposely left undone in anticipation for the warm weather. The guard captain seemed oblivious to the obvious effect it had on both Purina and Cassefin, however.

Purina, likewise, was dressed ready for a day in the sun. Fashionable as always, her brilliant pink hair was done up in a beautiful set of curls, complimented by a lovely two-piece adorned with pink sequins, flowered blue sandals and a delicate sash strung along her waist, slightly obscuring the bottom half of her swimsuit.

George and Lenny, likes the rest of the passengers, looked all too anxious to get away from the Cirrus. Lenny, the large ID-SOL, wore a set of enormous goggles over his eyes, complete with an equally large snorkel, massive green swim trunks and monolithic blue rubber flippers...which would look quite ridiculous on most ID-SOLs, but seemed to work just fine with Lenny. George, on the other hand, was dressed in a slick black-and-gold Hawaiian shirt and dark brown trunks. His eyes were hidden behind a set of stylish sunshades, but they did little to hide his anticipation.

"Oh yes!" Purina added in after Cassefin, clapping her hands together in delight. "I can't wait to visit the spa they mentioned...I could do with a little pampering after all that hard work! Isn't that right, Abeck?" Purina's voice momentarily turned to a slightly seductive tone as she shot a glance at the Guard Captain near the rear.

Abeck simply smiled. "I'm sure we're all very excited," he added, looking over the rest of the group to hear their responses.

While everyone else seemed ready to enjoy themselves, Speedy looked ready for a deployment. Sure, he was only wearing a plain blue t-shirt under a hunting orange windbreaker instead of combat armour; and was carrying a beach umbrella instead of a rifle, but he still was tense.

He mumbeled a response to the Captain's comment, "Yeah, excited right... Yay." They could have left me off guard duty for a week, that would be a nice vacation, but nooo, they have to drag me off to this place... If I get sunburned and someone asks me if I'm 'enjoying' myself I'll break his nose.

Tweak had steadfastly refused to wear anything but her normal garb, even after warnings of warm weather which made her look concerned but did nothing to change her mind. So the 'Spacer neko was wearing her customary knit hat (pulled low on her head over her ears, of course, and with the strings tied), an oversized black t-shirt, and loose, dark brown cargo pants with military boots, looking quite out of place. Fortunately someone convinced her to at least exchange the bomber jacket she had intended to wear for a lighter (and neon green) wind-breaker coat, but the get-up still left her with probably the least amount of skin visible out of everyone in the shuttle.

She sat with her knees pulled up to her chin and eyes fixed on whatever was directly in front of her, be it a seat back or bulkhead, her expression rather blank despite the excitement around her.

Unlike most of the others, Claire had simply dressed in plain civilian clothes. (A sleeveless shirt the same color red as her hair and jeans.) Sure, she had beachwear in her pack and all, but from the way she sat next to the wall in the back rows hinted that her frustration still hadn't subsided. At least she had let her hair down for now; perhaps a sign that she was at least attempting to cool off.

"Glory be, Lenny," Noboru said from one side of the shuttle, over by Purina and Abeck. "You didn't need to be dressed in snorkelling gear all the way from the station." The Yamataian reclined a bit, stretching his legs into the aisle as far as would be comfortable for the other members of the shuttle.

Noboru was dressed in quite vibrant apparel; a turquoise Hawaiian shirt adorned with festive palm trees, large red flowers and what appeared to be a few toucans. Beneath that he was wearing a white tank-top and a string necklace with a large wooden circle tied to the end. The circle had several Yamataian characters carved into the surface in flowing script, and it was stained a deep brownish-red. He had a pair of brown cargo shorts with at least eight pockets (per leg) and some brown leather sandals. His face was adorned with a pair of Emrys Uno sunglasses instead of the usual, utilitarian welding goggles. He also wore a black baseball cap.

He looked relaxed, but really he was sort of on edge. He didn't like beaches, and combined with the fact that he was going to the beach with a group of asylum dropouts, his vacation was probably going to end with something getting blown the fuck up, in true Nepleslian style.

Deacon scanned the rest of the shuttle, looking over each and every member of his team, and then back to himself. He had not brought any clothing with him to head to the beach, so he was dressed in just a black sleeveless tanktop that was the standard issue for the Nepleslian military tucked into the khaki slacks that were also standard. His feet were bare though, and the pantlegs rolled up in at least some show of a relaxed nature.

The Kohanian watched Cassefin for a few moments, then turned to Popjoy with a bit of a smile, and then hunkered down in his seat and folded his paws behind his head, closing his golden eyes to think over the few missions he had been on since arriving on the station, and how things didn't ever seem to go the way they were expected to. It nagged on his mind that this would probably go the same way, but it was nice to know that no matter what, life with his team would never get boring.

Serra was seated along with the rest of the squad, calmly looking over a brochure for the resort that they will be staying at. Just like Purina, Serra was anticipating a nice relaxing vacation being pampered at the spa.

"This indeed looks like a nice place." Serra said, as she flipped the brochure over and looked at the pay scales for the amenities and day packages. "The prices also fit the accommodations." She finished as she pushed her glasses up her nose bridge.

The excitement had little effect on Keziah. She had dressed for the trip, wearing a plain white cotton dress that she had bartered off of one of the scientists for a week of cooked meals. The sandals that had cost her three days to another egghead were a light sky blue, but were currently on the floor of the shuttle. Her legs were curled up in the seat with her, cybernetic calves looking very out-of-place against the dress.

She had taken a seat almost exactly opposite from Claire, just one spot behind Abeck. The faint pressure against her side reminded her off the surgeon's warning before she left the medbay that morning; "Don't swim, don't exert yourself, and don't take the patch off." The xaser burn was mostly healed by now, but now it was deep tissue damage they were trying to fix. She was just happy she didn't need to take anti-rad pills anymore--they made her ill.

To the casual observer, she looked like she was dozing, if they failed to notice the PDA hooked into her arm slot. It was playing some Yamataian music directly into her mind, something she had grown to enjoy before she ever joined the military.

"Well, there's a bar, so it meets all my criteria of a nice place," Stovaa said, seat tilted back and relaxing already. He'd packed the essentials: handgun, changes of clothes, spare towel, bag of cleaning stuff, the usual stuff and probably a few other things he'd left in the bag that he'd never unpacked. He suspected there was a sandwich in the front section, but he daren't look. He was dressed simply to say the least, a pair of sandals he could have stolen from a bin so tatty they were and his green army issue trunks with his trusty knife tucked into them. Never leave home without a weapon, he always reminded himself. You never know when you might want to cut open a llama, cut a tourniquet or maybe just chop some chunks out of some guy who spilt your glass of generic booze.

He shuffled slightly in his seat, wondering if the trunks had shrunk in the wash, then remembered he hadn't worn or washed them yet. He risked a glance around. 'Phew,' he breathed to himself. 'None of the hotties are showing any flesh yet.' The trunks certainly didn't leave a whole lot to the imagination, or a whole lot of spare room.

Ah well, he had his workout shorts in his bag if he had any trouser malfunctions before he could shop around for a better pair.

"...Are we nearly there yet?"

"We are due for arrival in four minutes," a soft voice answered Stovaa's question. The shuttle itself was automated, of course, the captain being little more than a computer built to accompany guests during their ferry to the surface.

"Now, remember," Cassefin turned to remind everyone. "The trip itself is paid for, but anything you buy from stores is your own bill to foot. You've all been given separate rooms for the night, so don't go giving your keycard to strangers. We're returning to the Cirrus Station the morning after next, so try to make the most of your time here. I don't want to hear any complaining after we get back, either; it was a lot of work, getting this whole place booked exclusively for the Cirrus Station crew," Cassefin said, sounding a little proud at her own accomplishment.

"Alright ma'am." Noboru merely shrugged off Cassefin's smug sense of accomplishment like a mink shrugging off river water. He checked the overnight bag on the floor beneath him, carefully looking through his belongings. He had an extra change of clothes, extra power cells for the Uno sunglasses, his datapad, his NSP from the good-ol'-days of the Star Army of Yamatai (not that he really cared; the gun didn't fit his hand right anyways) and a utility knife he'd picked up from one of the ship's engineers in exchange for two days' free access to the top-secret stills.

"I promise," he added, mock-crossing a hand over his heart, "that I won't wreck the joint. At least not on the first day. Second day's up in the air; depends on how I feel that morning."

Sitting next to Serra was Jen wearing a plain blue shirt and shorts. She looked rather bored because of the long ride. Her travel pack was under her chair and seemed to be dozing off.

Her hand reached into her pocket, and suddenly remembered, "Hey, I forgot to give this back to you," she said, giving back Serra's compact, "too bad it didn't become useful heh," she finished with a grin.

Cyril chuckled at Noboru's quip, which quickly lead into a coughing fit. Just coughing, thankfully, instead of the chunks of deep fried lung he'd been horking up for most the the past two weeks. Strictly speaking, Cyril wasn't exactly in the best shape to be going out and about, which was something Doctor Holliday had kept harping on. But after funneling some of Noboru's bootleg hooch to the good doctor, and maybe a little bit of begging, Holliday had relented and cleared him for two days. With a set of restrictions.

He wasn't as dressed for the beach as the rest of the group. He'd dusted off his old digs from back at Hampton, which has been sitting in storage for most of the past half year. Heavy blue trousers and a black tshirt weren't exactly traditional beach wear. But honestly he wasn't planning on doing much outside. The doc had been pretty strict about it. No getting water on the patches covering his matched xaser burns. No getting sand on the patches. No alcohol, it'll mess with the meds. No artificial foods, it'll mess with the meds. No exertion, it'll give you a relapse. No smoking, it'll give you a relapse. No this, no that, no other thing. The only narcotics Cyril was going to be taking came in two prescription bottles doc Holliday had given him.

But that was okay. Being stuck in a hospital bed for two weeks was driving him stir crazy. Both Keziah and Noboru had visited a few times while he was awake, but he'd been pretty much constantly under for most of the first week in sick bay. He could vaguely remember apologizing to Keziah the first time he had been lucid for more then five minutes in a stretch, but he'd been so hopped up on painkillers he had not idea if it was any sort of coherent.

But for the most part Cyril just had the doctor and some orderlies for company. Couple that with seeing the same four wall every day, and it was easy to see why he was keep to go to the surface, even if he wasn't the outdoorsy type. Just getting somewhere else and shooting the shit with his squad mates was a welcome distraction.

Claire, finally letting her self-induced solitude shatter, decided to find someone to chat it up with. She needed SOMEthing to take her mind of her frustrations. May as well attempt to not be a jerk. She glanced around the room, quickly looking past Keziah, until her eyes settled on Abeck. Wasn't this for squad 35? So why was he here?

Her curiosity captured, she got up and strode over to the captain. "Abeck, right? What're you doing here? Hoping to see the ladies of our squad taking a swim?" Claire had, of course, no idea that Cassefin and Purina had their eyes on him. Nor did she realize they might become slightly jealous at seeing her chatting with their object of secret affection.

Serra took the compact with a gentle smile. "It's all right." She replied. "Any service is good service after all, I'm just glad it wasn't used, there was a good chance one of those people would have shot the mirror out." She said as she placed it in the tote bag near her feet.

"Ah hah, no no no," Abeck answered with a short laugh. "Truth be told, I was originally going to take the shuttle with the rest of my CSS Elite squad...but the Head Administrator informed me how at-ease you all feel with my presence. And I think you all deserve a little rest-assured R&R, so I'm just here along for the ride."

Cassefin, who had been glaring daggers at the back area (specifically at Claire, for some odd reason), suddenly became very interested in her resort brochure. Purina, on the other hand, stifled a short giggle at the humorous exchange.

Noboru grinned wildly at the prospect of Claire's exchange with Abeck forcing his criminally crazy CO onto the back foot in the "Abeck" department. He didn't move his head or anything but quietly flashed his female counterpart a thumbs-up, then promptly buried his face into a pulp fiction novel to hide his sadistic glee.

Cyril watched Claire slide over to speak with Captian Galahad. He had caught the way that she had skipped right over Kaz. That was odd, those two had been almost joined at the hip ever since the mess on Prilisa. Much to the quiet and private frustration of some of the men in the squad, he suspected. He wondered what the story was, but he wasn't sure how to broach the question.

After a while, he realized that the only way to find out was to get up and start talking. Leaving, his seat near the back of the shuttle Cyril sidled his way up toward Kaz, still a little hesitant. Kaz had visted him while he was still stuck in a bed, so he didn't really think that she resented his fuckup back in the loading dock. But he still felt responsible for the wound she had picked up. It had been his call to open fire, and it hadn't been the right one.

He hesitated a few steps back from her, wondering if he should just but out. Kaz probably didn't want to be bugged by the guy who had gotten her shot. But he pushed down his pessimistic imp and took those last few steps anyway. Damnit, she had come to visit him, for whatever unaccountable reason. Sliding in behind her, silvered cybernetic fingers tapped her camouflaged shoulder.

"How's your side holding, Kaz?" He asked, he voice still holding a slight breathless quality from his injured lung. Not for the first time, he was glad that his artificial eyes didn't really convey many emotions to people who didn't know what to look for. He was nervous as hell.

She might've been fully engulfed in her music, but she was still partially aware of what was going on. So before Cyril even tapped her shoulder, she switched her music off and moved to unplug it from her arm. Claire's presence, so nearby, was unsettling. They hadn't spoken since the hangar incident, and a tiny part of her had given up on that rift ever being fixed.

Keziah smiled at him, a tiny one, and turned so her back was against the skin of the shuttle. One leg slid out, resting on top of the duffel carrying the rest of her clothes, and she drew her other one close under her. "I'm fine." She twisted her body from side to side to show him, but once she twisted to her left she winced and clutched her abdomen. "Okay, maybe not great, but fine. What about you? I was worried about you for a while."

Whether she could see the nervousness in his eyes or not, she didn't betray it. But he didn't need real eyes for her to feel it. Her eyes, however, looked wounded. Had looked that way for the past two weeks, and she had never made any effort to hide it.

"It's no big thing. Doc says I'll be fit for duty in another few weeks. Back to normal in a month or two." Cyril half-chuckled, half-coughed, "It'll take more then a xaser to take down a Sevyn. Too stupid to die, the lot o' us."

Cyril had caught the wounded look in Kaz's eye. He'd seen it before, on those occasions when he'd been lucid enough to recognize that sort of thing, when he'd talked with Keziah. When they'd shared a ward, he'd put it up to the meds and the stress. He knew he looked just a haunted, for a variety of reasons. Same thing for her first visit after she was discharged. But afterwards he had been wondering.

At first he had thought that it was something to do with him. He had gotten her shot after all, he knew that he deserved some resentment. But she had come back to visit more then once. He didn't know why, but apparently she didn't hate him for his screw up. But that meant that something else was bothering one of the few people in the squad he could actually call a friend.

He had been puzzling it over in his free time, an abundance of which he had been blessed with. Now that he was here and talking to her, the look in her eyes and the way that Claire's eyes had skipped over her started to click. Had the two friend had a falling out? Cyril didn't want to go out and ask it, but... "It's nice to finally go somewhere where we ain't going to get shot at. You... uh, you an' Claire looking forward to hitting the beach?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back