• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Ezrael Melee Power Armour

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more info on that propulsion pack/unit, maybe some stats and such about it.

Advice? Well, I hope its not too large for ground operations, its hard to get through a small hatch or doorway sometimes if you're 9 feet tall and over 4 feet wide. But this is only support for regular infantry right? So maybe it's size won't limit it that much.

(Completely ignoring the fact that the only armors to which I have access atm, are quite large compared others in the setting.)

From what is stated in the article for the Patrician their maximum (correct me if I am wrong here Thomas) is 7'3". I would wager the Ezrael is either for them, or the Seraphs. And the height more to add for the "imposing" psychological effect. I could be woefully wrong on all counts, or it is simply due to the technology used within the Power Armour hasn't reached a certain degree of miniaturization.

Alright, I won't hold back:

• 0) What is the importance of melee combat? Is this even relevant on a SARP contemporary battlefield? The cultural significance is interesting.

1) Why is it so large? Explain the purpose for it's size.

2) Four arms? Sounds very familiar. Are you aware of the balance issues this creates? You also note "tertiary arms" -- Are there three pairs?

3) Weapon names - Strike me as pretentious. The purpose is not immediately obvious at a glance. What is the Angel's Tear? Solid Projectile Weapon? Coil Gun? Kinetic energy weapon? "Angel's Tear Kinetic Energy Weapon"?

4) Angel's Tear -- 300 rpm.. You'll exhaust the ammunition in 20 seconds. It is worth lowering the rate of fire significantly: Considering the punch, once a second is sufficient.

5) extraordinarily high temperatures capable of approaching the temperature of the sun -- 5780 Kelvin is significant - it will actually ignite our atmosphere and is a very very poor tactical weapon in the area of a ranged foe who will spot the IR sig and smear the armor.
    It has the cool factor but it is pretty impractical unless you're using it as a directed energy weapon over a significant distance, granting it sufficient explosive power. The pulse cannon makes sense but it makes me wonder why you even bother with the basic mode of the thing.

6) Epre Arms - a shaped forcefield
    forcefield
    Wait, what?

7) Monomolecular Vibroblades (8): -- Eight? Do you have enough daggers, king of stabban?
    No, seriously. Where the hell do they all go? "One in each elbow and each knee" - that is sufficient bulk on the other arms and will create balance issues with the other arms.

8) Gravitic Thrusting - Gravitic propulsion is a better term - Gravity does not create thrust: It pulls you into a gravity well you project before one's self.

9) it can throw most armours off balance. - The propulsive power needs to be pretty significant, considering most modern armors posses auto-balancing systems for use traditionally in flight or zero-G. And considering you're in the middle, you can't exclude yourself from what's happening: You'd drag the armor away and be propelled in the same direction by the wake of the gravitational distortion.[/i]

10) Wings - A nice idea but...

Synopsis:

You've bunged in everything including the kitchen sink. You haven't done it especially well - the specifications are actually quite low and the thing would be utterly useless in zero-G.

Melee has no place outside of special operations and rule of cool style gameplay.

In your place, I would actually remove some of the long-term survival equipment and work on the ground-borne mobility some more: Running messes with your aim (skimming is desirable)... But then I'm reminded it's melee.

Melee is for very very quiet missions. In your place I'd optimize all of the propulsive gear for sharp evasive action, pushing yourself through the air to remain agile at your large size and have the gravitic systems double as a sort of secondary balancer so you're always balanced, even in very awkward positions and poses.

I'm worrying now that my opinion is becoming abusive, perhaps based on our past experience with one another so rather than fall into drama, I'll say only this:

Refine it. The foundation is fine but think more about the purpose and what you wish to achieve.

Alrighty, came under a fair amount of fire - but then again this is the fun bit.

0, I think it makes a useful addition to the Elysian focus on having a strong infantry presence.

1, Why is it so large? Mostly so it can accommodate additional weapons, armour and synthetic musculature. I saw it being used on an open battlefield, or possibly in an urban enviroment. I concede that the only way for it to easily navigate through a house is too knock the walls down. It's also a degree of cumbersomeness too offset the close-combat firepower of the machine.

2, Are four arms familiar? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

3, The Elysians are pretentious. They don't normally give descriptive names to their weapons.

4, Didn't think that it had enough solid force to justify its damage rating it if was going merely 60 rpm. I realise it will burn through the ammunition, however it doesn't rely on the payload for its full efficiency and the speed can be controlled by the armour. 300 rpm is the highest limit.

5, Your point is taken regarding the tactical limitations of a plasma weapon. Although I should state that this is really an issue with all plasma weapons, and they are extremely common. Indeed with their damage ratings routinely above those of a nuclear explosion we can only assume that most plasma weapons have a temperature above 10 million degrees c, or 10,000,273.15 kelvin. If the armour is trying to keep a low profile it won't use the weapon.

6, What about it? Force fields are used all the time. One of the essentialy nonsensical but essential bits of future tech; like inertial dampeners. Currently using forcefields are: The Himiko, the DD4, the LHA, the Broadside, the Byakko and many more. I believe the closest they've got to being explained is being called 'electrostatic' in the NDI creations. If it makes it better I'll put that in.

7, Going to have to explain that one a little more to me.

8, I'll see about that.

9, I'll see about that.

10, Wings make sense to me.

I see no faucets. Not meant to be in Zero-G. Often does leaps rather than running, and these leaps can be close to the ground - more like skimming.

Going to do a general overview with your words in mind, danke.

Wasn't aware we really had a history. *shrugs*.

It needs wings, being built for a race that has wings. And wingspans that often range to 16 feet or more. You can't just not armor the wings.

Just adding that bit. I'll let you resume arguing the other points.

In regards to the wings, why not fit a system to disrupt ranged units to them or a high-yield grenade launcher or sabot or something to make use of their size that'll act as a counter-balance for all those arms?

6, What about it? Force fields are used all the time.
In physics, there's no such thing as a force-field.

To help you, I'll say it's an electro-static field that compacts surrounding gasses into a very tight area via the nucleonic strong force, creating a dense wall to soften blows and glance high-speed rounds entirely via impact geometry.

7) Monomolecular Vibroblades (8): -- Eight? Do you have enough daggers, king of stabban?
No, seriously. Where the hell do they all go? "One in each elbow and each knee" - that is sufficient bulk on the other arms and will create balance issues with the other arms.

ai55.photobucket.com_albums_g136_sniperz42_Funny_1157497003944.jpg

Where do all these daggers FIT? They must be heavy, possessing a combat effective vibro-mechanism.

... I want to be that man.

Sure. Electrostatic.

You have a point with the vicroblades. I shall review them.

With the implements on the wings - I traditionally consider the shield generators to be housed in the wings, and while I would normally consider putting micro-missiles in them I think that it would detract from the close-combat orientation of the armour. I will consider it.

Soresu: Think I've dealt with the damage ratings, save that Melee weapons are apparently no longer rated. Which means that the majority of it is unrated.

Problems?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back