Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Farewell Leonard Nimoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm floored. Not that I was unprepared - when I heard he was hospitalized earlier this week, I did have a hunch that "this may be it for Leonard Nimoy".
Can't say I'm thrilled to be proven right.

I feel I should be sad. I feel like I could actually tear up from this. But I'm not.
Robert Williams' passing was bittersweet. Monty Oum's was shocking. Leonard Nimoy feels more personnal - he was much more a part of my upbringing than many other icons.

I'm at work. People call and they need my help. Can't afford to break down. He may be dead, but I'm still alive. I'm going to have to move on.

He's passed, but I don't really feel sorry for him. He had the looks of someone whom lead a fulfilling life. The sense of loss is more about the inspiration he's brought into my life, by losing something which has been around all my life. As sad as I am, I can be but grateful of what he shared.

Leonard Nimoy, 83, died today. He was one of my favorite actors and a huge influence on me through Star Trek.

His final tweet: "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Live long and prosper."

He was a great person. I had the pleasure of meeting him in Boston at a fund raiser event. He autographed my Starfleet Medical Manual. Always has been my prized autograph. Going to miss him.

Well said, Fred. He really felt like the kind of person who was content to go at this point. He'd done enough. We'll miss him.

I met him (and Shatner) at Dragon Con a few years back and I even got his autograph, too, but I gave their autographs to a dad friend of mine who is a huge Trek fan too, but who had to stay home and watch his son. I remember when I met Nimoy, he seemed really tired and old, and just looking at him I was worried that he was in his twilight years. It was about that time he went public with his COPD that would eventually kill him. So when he was hospitalized, I had a sense that this could be it.

I'm thankful for all the great shows he brought us, from Star Trek to science documentaries and that hilariously unforgettable Ballad of Bilbo Baggins. I'm grateful I had a chance to speak to him, if only briefly.

(Mod note: I'm merging the two Nimoy threads.)

The world has lost many great people recently, and this one really tugs the science fiction heartstrings. :( I can only hope Mr. Nimoy has now reached the final frontier and is in peace with no more suffering or pain. He inspired many to reach for the stars, and that is the real way to be Immortalized.

The news of Leonard Nimoy's passing strikes pretty deep. He has always been one of my favorite actors. I grew up watching him as Spock on Star Trek. I know it's just a TV show, but I always looked up to the ideals he conveyed through that character; intelligence, logic, honor and most importantly, just being a good person. I'm very sad that he is gone from this world now.

I know he is out exploring the stars now and has left us a wonderful legacy, which will last forever. A line spoken in Star Trek II comes to mind as I finish typing this. "He's not really dead. As long as we remember him."

I don't think anyone will forget him, but we will miss him.

“Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven, Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.”

A poem by Felicia Day that I think says wonders about the man.

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most...human."

Though I often feel that sci-fi like Star Trek was overly feel-good and optimistic, looking back and watching the original show, I came to realize that it was made during some of humanity's darkest years; The Cold War. A time where we were basically at the knife's edge of The End. Seeing Klingons basically take the role of Russians made me realize that hope is something important. We need to have something to look forward to, and believe that there will be a tomorrow. Nimoy and all the others were an important part of giving not just hope to generations but also wisdom, and he'll be missed.

A poem of my own dedicated to Monty Oum, Also dedicated to Leonard Nimoy

There are those that shine brightly, their lives but brief echoes in time.
They leave us all too soon and we wonder why they have left us so quickly.
He is in all of our hearts and though pain will fill it for awhile
He will look upon his friends and loved ones
and see that they love him
and thus his legacy will live on

When I heard that he died a few days ago I talked to some of my fellow Trekkie friends but they hadn't gotten the news.

I hated being the one who had to tell them that Leonard Nimoy had died...

Now I wish I had accepted my friends offer to take me to dragon con a few years ago. I missed the chance to ever meet him in person... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back