• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Gaming Favorite Tabletop systems?

Zonr_0

Inactive Member
As the topic says: What are your favorite tabletop roleplaying systems?

I love Pathfinder and Edge of the Empire, but there's a bunch of systems I really want to try eventually. In particular, GURPS, Wheel of Fire, Fate Core (when it's released), and anything with a structured yet narrative focus to it.

Typically, I end up DMing or GMing most games which I enjoy, but I definitely miss playing as just a player!

I've got my hands on the following:
  • GURPS 4.0 (an unusual amount. I might be the only person in my city who plays GURPS)
  • Pathfinder (enough books to run a decent campaign)
  • DnD 3.5 (Just a couple of the core books)
  • Scion - Hero (Never had a change to play it)
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics (PREPARE TO DIE)
  • DnD 4.0 (Ugh... good gateway drug, but not something I stuck to)
I prefer playing GURPS. I've been looking for someone to play it with, and I even ran a few short games before the players went AWOL IRL, which made me sad.

I would play GURPS with you!

I own copies of several systems I didn't mention above, such as BESM d20 (it's terribad), 3.5, mage 2nd ed revised (the last published Mage book, you can't convince me otherwise), and a few others.

Anyway, this isn't entirely a theoretical exercise. I have a permenant premium roll20 account from a kickstarter that I haven't had the chance to try out yet.

My favorites Traveller, aka the Original now called the Classic. Champions, later called the Hero System, up to version 5. Version 6 was too PC.

I've enjoyed AD&D Second Edition, (the best IMO of the D&D's), Robotech, Palladium Roleplay, Rifts.

I'll always have a soft spot for Palladium (my first RPG was Robotech: The RPG). I've tried D&D a few times and I like the setting in some ways but I never really did catch on to the stat system.

Well I am generally GURPS man, but I do love me some Shadowrun 2nd edition (pfft who needs wire-less! Deckers are loosers anyway.) Play DaD 2nd and 3rd edition, preffered 3rd myself. THere is also czech system that could be translated as Dragon Den. Old, but fun.

Classic World of Darkness. I wrote a Mage: The Ascension plot once; but before we even started playing, people disappeared.

3.5 is still my favorite, regardless of how long many people have argued in favor of Pathfinder over 3.5. 4 never caught my fancy the same way, and it felt to me like 3.5 brought the older versions to life, without choking everything else out.

In terms of other games, I'm very hit and miss. I tend to like a LOT of the smaller, more unknown games (like the Firefly or Dresden Files RPGs), and not many of the big ones.

Fantasy Flight's Warhammer 40,000 series is my particular favorite, with Only War being the best out of the bunch for me thus far. The system has become very polished since Dark Heresy, which, with the errata, has also become very good as well. A lot of people could argue against the percentile dice rolls and what not is cumbersome or bad. However, scoring a 06 with an Intelligence of 47 on a Medicae test and taking someone from Critical Condition to lightly wounded is a satisfying move.

Or rather rolling that number with a Minerva 'Aegis' Lasgun on full-auto. What's that? Not only do I kill him, but his ammo explodes? Both me and his ally are caught in the blast? The ally is going to explode too, now? Plus, the scene is so gruesome, I've got to roll a willpower test, then a fear test, or lay down on the ground, gibbering at the horror I've caused?

Well, this is going to be exciting.

Same as Kokutens!

Though I think Rogue Trader is my favorite due to dat Starship combat.

Oh, you did critical hits to your enemy's battlecruiser? His Plasma Drive Explodes, I hope your pilot is good enough to evade~.

Honestly, White Wolf's system is amazing. The simpler the better. GURPS = Algebra the game....ew.

I am a huge fan of BESM 2nd edition. It was before it turned to d20. It was a nice simple system that could easily be adapted to a multitude of different themes and genres. It kept the dice flow and character creation simple and was very good for running a more narrative oriented game. It could also be adapted to be more complex if that's what you wanted with its optional rules.

Other then that I would have to agree that OWoD is really awesome. I like the setting a lot. The system was kind of eh to me, but if you had a good GM those could be some awesome games.

I also recently tried Cortex I think it is called. That has been okay. A few more dice to keep track of then I am used to but it has been okay.

I've recently found myself drawn to the FATE system. Not only is the source material free, the system is simple and can be adapted to any setting. Furthermore, it focuses more on character development and cooperative creation for the story. I've always been more about the story than stat counting myself.

Plus it is really nice when features you create for your character are actually relevant to more than just you as the player (since the GM and other players can use your characteristics to either help themselves or hurt you should they want to).

D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, GURPS at times, and some of the World of Darkness stuff is my normal gaming fare. Although I will admit to playing some of the 40k Dark Heresy stuff when I can.

Always been a fan of Amber. Fun game fun system (no dice!). Also the old Tri-Stat system from BESM and Leagend of the Five Rings was a lot of fun as well. Lately my group has been playing a new game called Nova Praxis, which is a really cool post earth science fiction game with some neat concepts :)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back