• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Resolved Feedback: Addition of "New Threads" on the right-hand side of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Retired Staff
I just noticed that a new tweak was made to our XenForo forum, adding a five-item "New Threads" list on the right-hand side of the forum, sandwiched between our own profile information and and the 'Staff Online' listing.

The problem I saw with it was that when Wes and Nashoba were both registered as online on the board, the addition of the New Threads list and the bulk taken by both their names pushed the "Members Online Now" display so far down that I am forced to scroll down to see them on a 1920x1080 display.

Note: As a GM, I consider the "Members Online Now" entry to be the most usefully important piece of information on the left hand side. By contrast, the frequency of 'recent' threads that actually concern my minimal, making the "New threads" entry by comparison not looking as a meaningful improvement.​

Therefore, here are possible actions I'd like to see considered:

• Removal of "New Threads" (edit: and "Status Updates")
  • Diminishing the "New Threads" entry to display 3 items, rather than 5. (edit: doesn't matter with the addition of Status Update; both end up taking too much room anyways)
  • Reshuffling of the items on the list to put more vertical priority on "Members Online Now". (edit: likely the best compromise, considering "Status Updates" were also added)

Thank you

Edit: The same would apply to "Updates from Members" as well. It feels like clutter, but if the clutter can be moved down so to not take the priority from more important elements, I wouldn't mind it as much.

Last edited:
I'll move the members online section higher.

Cool. :)

You may want to place "Staff Online" up there as well. I know showing recent threads and update may seem cool on a social media angle, but people have the threads they'd like to watch out for mostly well in hand with subscriptions and RSS feeds. Whereas the "Staff Online" section's point (according to you, way back when I felt it was redundant because "Members Online" already allowed us to see if you were online) was primarily so that new people could easily know when a Staffer was around if they ever needed help.

In which case, "Staff Online" is more conductive to new member retention, in comparison to updates/latest threads.

I think the current setup is much better, allowing for new functionality while not detracting with what we had before. Kudos to you, Web Admin.

I think the current setup is much better, allowing for new functionality while not detracting with what we had before. Kudos to you, Web Admin.
Thanks! Your feedback was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back