• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Kohana [Fenyar] Training's over.

Fang could hear the voices, but just as his training had taught, he did not focus on them. He understood the words without focusing on listening to them.

The words of the incantations rolled off his lips, thought not given to them either, but he was taken slightly off guard by the pull of the Spirit Realm. The Kee'Awloo almost lost too much focus, and wouls have been sucked to the other side for good, but he refocused on nothingness, and held to it.

Slowly Fang began to see, in his mind's eye, the realm of Spirit, the land of the dead. He licked his lips and tried to find Night Eyes. His teacher had to be somewhere near. This was all so new to the monk, a slight bit of fear began to creep within his core, a cold empty feeling when one is traversing the gap between the living and the spirit realms.

"Master Night Eyes? Are you here? Is this the Realm of the Dead, where my final test must take place?" Fang called out with his mind as he looked around the monochromatic scene surrounding him. It was like he was in the temple still, but he was surrounded with a thick fog which sucked all the color and most of the visibility, out of the surroundings. All around, shadows mingled in and out of the fog. Some Fang recognized, but most were faces he had never seen before.

"What a wonderous place, I wish I could stay here and learn from all those who have passed on to this plane." Fang muttered to himself, turning slowly to take it all in.

"You would learn nothing from them Fang." The voice od Night Eyes spoke, from behind. Should he look behind him though, there would be nothing.

"This is the realm of limbo." This time the voice came from the front, and there stood night Eyes. "Purgatory for those not worthy, or not ready to pass on through the Final gateway. The persons you see are mearly shadows. Without feeling or senses."

Looking around, Night Eyes began to walk to the east. "Well, come on. The Nightmare's door is near, but it won't rest for long."

Fang nodded quickly, taking one more good look around, before hurrying after Night Eyes. He wanted this test to be over, or at least to progress. All of this was so new, so exciting, and so very interesting. The monk in training took a deep breath as he caught up to his instructor, and fell into step behind him.

"Master, what is this Nightmare like? Do you have any advice for me before I must face him, or is that part of the test, to do this all on my own?" Fang asked keeping ever vigilante in watching the area around them, anything moving or making a sound instantly drew his attention.

Night Eyes stopped and turned around to face his pupil. Raising one gloved paw, he rests it on Fang's shoulder and gives it a squeeze before wordlessly turning around and continuing on.

Moments pass silently between the two as the trudged on through the foggy limbo. Before they came upon a large set of Black wooden doors set in a large stone frame. Two torchs hang lit from chains. All together, this area feels cold, like the grave.

"Here we are." Night Eyes said as he turned again and moved to the side slightly. "This is where I leave you to complete the last leg of this test Fang. Do not worry, I will be near and I will protect you if the Nightmare tries to rest you from me."

Turning to look at the door, Night eyes raises a hand and rests it on the doors. "Repeat these words once and properly. The Stealer of life is very fickle about how living essence enters it's domain." Night eyes said, which closing his eyes as he focuses on the doors.

"Rex rgis Porta of Lux lucis tribuo mihi obvius ut terra of Nox noctis equus..."

Fang took a deep breath and looked up at the massive entryway that he stood in front of. He looked over to his instructor and nodded. He repeated the words just as Night Eyes had done, he could feel the pure, blackening evil on the other side of the door, and knew that once through, he would be in for the greatest test, and pleasure, known to the Kee'Awloo monks. There were very few who had enough mastery of the Gate system to actually have the opportunity to fight Death himself.

Fang still felt the tiniest twinge of fear within him, but dismissed it as normal as he rested his large paws against the door and recited the incantation over again.

"Be afraid Death, I have come for you...I will be the victor this day, and will be bringing a soul back to the land of the living. You will not be able to stop me...as will none of your minions.." Fang thought to himself, causing a twisted, fang revealing grin.

Fang felt something, creaping through his mind. It felt like fire, and water at the same time. Only too late did he realize it, someone, or something was scrying his mind, and reading his feelings and memories. Then he felt it. A force, a primal energy, a convalesence of pain, anger, misery and sorrow. For what stood before him, towering over the shrouding mist that reaches his knees, was death.

It stood at lest a good twelve feet tall. It's body an inky blackness, almost like the dark night. Though through what light he could see, the blackness of this being was actually armor, thick, jagged and horned, like some deamon out of a cubs nightmare. Long green fire trailed down it's back from the base of the horned helm that rested on this beast's head. Icorus black smoke poured from it's nostrals as the Monsterous beast glared at Fang with crimson eyes behing a visor. Then, it spoke, it's voice as deep as the deepest pit and as dark as a starless night.

"Who dares..." It said as it took a massive step forward. The hoof billowing the mist away in a blast of infernal green fire. "Who dares to tresspass in the domain of Mephier?" It bellowed as it continued to glare at Fang. As if expecting an anwser.

Fang slowly turned to look up at the massive apparition, creature, FORCE, behind him. As soon as he saw his opponant, he realized what the feeling invading his mind was, and quickly embraced the nothingness that surrounded them, so Mephier would not be able to see the fear that had immediately washed over the lupine at seeing him.

"My name is Brother Fang Shadowpaw, and I have come to reclaim a soul of one of my fallen comrades to the plane of the living. You can just consent and give me the priviledge, or you can stand in my way, but I am prepared to fight you if that is the path you choose to take."

Fang spoke softly, though his words were laced with understanding of the serious task which lay before him should the stallion choose combat. Very slowly he dropped his left foot back to get into a sideways stance and flexed his knees in preparation for an attack that may, or may not, come.

"I do not wish to fight you, Death. I am not here to make you look bad in front of your subordinates, so it would be easier for the both of us, if you would just step aside, and give me the key to the place where you are holding the dead." Fang bowed softly, ears held backwards in submission and respect for the power of Death.

Mephier laughed heartily.

"Fang Shadowpaw, I know you well. I have watched you quite thoroughly over the last few years, and you no doubt have heard me whispering to you on the wind while you were training with Sister Laughing Rain. Isn't that right, Pup? Yes, I have been watching you...Maybe not in a physical body, but I have eyes and ears on the Plane of the Living who do my bidding. But that is not what you are here to talk about..."

The massive nightmare slowly reached up to his shoulder and unsheathed a sword easily fourteen feet long, and looking to weigh above eight tons of dark metal. There was a violet glow to the edge of the black metal that made up the blade, a show of the death dealing potential of the weapon. A weapon that was not immediately brandished in combat, but used as a leaning post.

"You say you have come to take a soul from me? A soul of one of your 'fallen comrades'. Do you know what I do to the souls of those unworthy for the Living? I pull them apart, rape their very being...Once they pass from the Living Plane, they are mine, to do with as I please. The holy are nothing but playthings to me. You think that what you do out there will save you from a life of eternal torment here with me? You are still a pup, suckling on your mother's teat."

Death laughed at the foolish thought, and Fang slowly looked over at his teacher, but Winter Moon was standing off to the side, his voice speaking softly to the young monk.

"Remember your training, Fang. What he says are lies, he is trying to get into your mind and beat you with your own doubt. Don't let him do that. Embrace the nothingness all around you, focus on nothing, but be aware of everything."

Fang closed his eyes, taking a deep breath in hopes of calming the fear and doubt flooding his mind, and this is when Mephier struck, slicing through the air in an upward arc, trying to catch Fang unprepared. In his relaxing though, Fang became more loose, and expected this tactic. As he released his breath in a sigh, Fang folded backwards, doing a back handspring to extend the distance between he, and his foe. Now holding his hands up in a full martial arts stance, ears pricked and ready for battle, he opened his eyes.

"You speak lies, Death. You look to intimidate a heart and mind focused on the task of saving a soul. If I must sacrifice myself to save that soul, I will do so."

Fang took another deep breath and slowly began moving in towards his opponant, but also sidestepping slowly to his right, making Mephier turn slowly left, blade held as if it weighed nothing, and ready to attack or counter, anything Fang did.

"Your heart is not as pure as you would like others to believe, Fang...I know your secrets. I have seen what you want to keep hidden, and you will be judged for it. I have a SPECIAL place for you, when this fight is over, and your soul is mine...." The stallion boomed, stepping forward with a loud clink of his horseshoe off the stone surface of the floor.

Fang momentarily lost his composure, sprinting straight at Mephier. "You lie!"

With a sidestep to the right, Mephier was in prime position to swipe Fang with his sword, and didn't miss the opportunity. Swinging his sword like a baseball bat, Mephier barely missed Fang, as he ran by, but damage was dealt in the form of the blade cutting Fang's left ear right off, causing the tissue to instantly decay as it, and the blood, flew across the dimly lit room.

Fang couldn't help but yelp out in pain, stumbling and rolling away as fast as he could, clutching the wound on the side of his head which seemed to be already cauderizing with dead tissue from the dark fire of the nightmare's blade.

Fang looked to Winter Moon, who had gone to his knees in a meditative trance. He would be unable to help Fang in this final test in a physical sense, but perhaps his teacher held some spiritual aid should his young student require it. Fang wasn't sure, but he had no time to try and ponder it.

Mephier laughed heartily, a booming, intimidating sound that seemed to shake the stone and morter all around them. "What is this? Winter Moon, you told me that you would be giving me a challenge, a man of incredible prowess, and instead you send a boy, barely weaned? You are slipping old man in not only your teaching, but your ability to identify talent."

Winter Moon didn't break his trance, keeping head bowed, and eyes closed, but Fang slowly rose, unsteady at first, but finally got his base. To this, Mephier laughed and threw away the sword, which disappered into the shadows. He walked over to a pillar, to a large crate, and pulled out a hammer large enough to come to the stallion's waist. The head of the mighty hammer was black as well, but didn't seem to sport any visible enchantment.

"You have not proven to me that you are worthy to restore a soul from bondage here, Young One, but perhaps if I even the odds a little more, you will not feel so underpowered?" Mephier laughed, bringing his hammer up to rest on his shoulder.

Fang didn't wait, sprinting as fast as he could towards his opponant, who unshouldered his weapon and swung it down with crushing force, the stone shattering and splintering as it missed the young monk who had juked right, and now slid right at the unprotected joint just above his opponant's hoof. When his footpaw hit the joint, Mephier buckled slightly, just enough for Fang to kick up to his feet, and then leap up to the shoulder's of Mephier's armor, ripping the helmet off, and delivering a punishing blow just behind Mephier's right ear.

The move caught the larger beast off guard, and gave Fang that element of surprise, but the strike caused an even more noticible effect, as the stallion reeled dizzily from the concussive force. He stumbled backwards, dragging the hammer, until he ran into a stone pillar holding the ceiling up. Dust clouded from the weight of the creature hitting the post, and Fang lept off Death's shoulders, landing hard and rolling away to catch his breath and see what the next move would be.

Death moved with amazing swiftness, and in another upward arc, caught Fang squarely in the chest, ribs snapped with a wet crunching, and blood was sent from Fang's mouth as he was hurtled through the air, and into the hard wooden wall. The young monk did his best to rise, but as he did, Mephier took a step forward, raising his hoof to crush Fang. Just as he was about to, a deep, thunderous voice spoke.

"STOP! By order of Gnarlpaw! Do not crush this young monk, who showed strength of character and morals to try and stand up to you, Death. But you have proven him rash, and unprepared for the fight. Mephier, you have proven yet again, your prowess in combat, and understanding of how to intimidate not only with physicality, but with mental games as well, and for that, you must be commended." A white robed and hooded figure stepped up next to the prone body of Fang, who could strangely still hear the words spoken through the fog of unconsciousness.

"Take this lesson to heart, Fang. Learn from this loss. You will not be able to return to this test for a while. You will be sent out into the forests surrounding your academy to learn from the spirits and forces of Fenyar. When you have learned what it means to be one with your surroundings, and use them to protect not only your body, but your mind and soul as well, I will find you and bring you back here, but until then, you are not to set foot in Mephier's Lair."

And then the figure turned and walked away, and slowly Fang could feel his spirit being pulled back to his body, which through the damage done to his spirit and mind, took it's toll on his body. He was no longer missing his ear, but was deaf to that side of his body. He did not have the crushed ribs and internal bleeding, but the muscles has spasmed and locked, leaving him unable to breathe for a considerable amount of time.

Above all though, the words of Gnarlpaw rang in his mind. He had not failed, but had not passed his test. He would have to serve the forests of Fenyar until he had learned some lesson that the forces needed to teach him. So after spending the rest of the day in a hot spring bath with healing herbs and concoctions, then being bandaged and wrapped up, he packed his things and left.

He hadn't taken all of his possessions, as he knew he would, some day, return, but he wore his most comfortable robe, wrapped in the fine cloak given to him by a friend in the quartermaster's office, and enough food and water to last him a few days. Without looking back, he disappeared into the brush and trees of the forest, until a time when he would be guided back not by Winter Moon, or Night Eyes, but by Gnarlpaw himself. And when that day came, he would truely be ready to pass the ultimate test...

The two gatekeepers watched the young monk leave the temple and disappear into the undergrowth of the Yazyua forest.

"..." Night Eyes, his arms crossed mearly breathed deeply. Saddened by his puple's loss, but reassured in his future success.

"When do you think he'll return?" Winter Moon posed as she squeezed Night Eye's shoulder.

"I'm not sure. But, when he does return, he'll be stronger. I can feel it." Night Eyes said, whils raising a paw to her's. "He already is nearly as strong as I in Soul. When he does succede. I will give it to him."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back