• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character First try

I think Floodwaters wants to accept "mostly human" (as in no 'super powers') level characters in her plot so if you add enhancements, they should probably be of the lighter variety.

That is what i did, I'm now just waiting for her to check it out and take a look and tell me yes or no.

Wes is correct - my aim in The Fringe is to crew mostly "normal" humanoids without any insane superpowers such as Nekovalkyrja strength or levitation. Of course, certain characters will outshine the others in certain tasks, but if I allow one or two characters to have a huge advantage over the others (such as letting one character be bulletproof, telekinetic, or be able to throw car-sized objects), it makes it very tough on me to make the RP enjoyable for everyone, particularly in combat situations. Modest bio-enhancements are fine, but I'd like to review any editions you make first, and rule whether or not they unbalance the crew too badly.

EDIT - Whoops, I just saw your reply after Wes. I'll look right now.

It looks as if you simply copy-pasted the Iromakuanhe wiki information to Vel's profile page, which isn't necessary, because I can reference that page for detailed information on their physiology. As for the symbiotic implants, you didn't really specify which, if any, Vel has.

If you can detail out what kinds of implants you want him to have, and state what type they are as per the species' wiki article, I can be more helpful.

Okay, @Soresu, there's a paragraph in the Laiz Faelrag article that says:
As earlier Leyflar Supercapacitors were too bulky, a sleeker version, called the Spec2, was developed for this weapon. It is smaller and more elongated, but essentially has the exact same capabilities. It is locked in the hilt of the weapon, but can only be removed while safety is initiated.
This establishes that the Spec2 battery exists. He wants to have the pistol be able to use that battery instead of the Spec1 so that the one for his sword works in his pistol and vice versa. I don't see a big issue with it, as it's probably just a matter of changing the shape of the mag well.

*slams face into desk* To be frank this tells me that you really don't have much experience with modifying firearms Wes. Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass it is to modify the magazine well of any firearm that is premade? It would end up being a custom order that would more than double the cost of the weapon easily. Most weapons when built are built to specific tolerances and modifying the magazine well can cause catastrophic failure of the weapon.

The receiver, and mag well. In which case it wouldn't be a pistol anymore but more in line of the carbine for ammo load. Or would become an entirely new weapon in the process to accommodate his wishes.

The Spec 2 is also used for a sword not a pistol, carbine or rifle because of the bulky size of the other variant in relation to the Faelraig's hilt.

Also, I'm very happy to see another Iroma being used on the site. :) However, at Seventeen years of age in the Iroma calendar he'd not have been in the Vanguard. I believe the enlistment age was eighteen. Is the name Vel Vectorian a name he assumed when he left the Homesystem? Because it is an unusual name for an Iromakuanhe if not.

Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass it is to modify the magazine well of any firearm that is premade? It would end up being a custom order...
I imagine you can tell any design-capable computer or web node to alter the design and then send the job to a 3D printer. Voila, you have a new lower part of the weapon, with very little cost, labor, or design effort. In the SARP setting, these things are commonplace. Also remember this is an energy weapon so it's not like mag shape is a major issue like it would be for something that has to hold ammunition.

... It is. You cannot fit a round peg into the square hole in this case. It's too narrow. In the end I would suggest just either using a different weapon, or making this an entirely custom job that would actually require NTSE approval. Unless we're handwaving the rules.

I know he's still learning the ropes, but a weapon mod like this has to have its own article and go through the NTSE. The rest of us had to go through with that ourselves. It's also great to see another Iromakuanhe character, but I also worry about him being portrayed correctly - the name doesn't seem Middle Eastern or Middle Eastern Inspired

@Floodwaters The enhancemnts that i wanted are placed directly under the kind they are (Half the reason for the wiki copy paste was because i lost the page 3 times already and just wanted to remember what in the heck they are)

@Centurion0507 @Soresu @CadetNewb According to what i read the Spec2 is the exact same in every way except for the shape and size of the unit itself so modifying something to simply accept an energy source of a different shape (like fitting a remote that takes AA batteries to take a 9 volt instead) but if it is that much of a bother ill just remove the modification from it

Also @Soresu @CadetNewb in all of my reading on the Iroma in the last 3 days i only found anything about what kind of culture they are really associated with a couple hours ago. I am wondering if you would concider the fact that Vel was basically raised on a ship with his parents with not much interaction on the social norms which led to his current personality where he doesnt actually confer to how the Iroma people are, which is another cause of his conflicts with them, as a good enough reason for his differences to the majority of the Iroma people. And to top everything off i couldnt find a single mention on what age they were allowed to enlist so i assumed that like most of the other races it was at 16 but if i am incorrect about that i will change his age (though the 2 different ages thing is really a pain to be honest

The two different ages thing is partly due to the longer calendar year of the Iroma in addition to how they age. If it's a pain, then just put one or the other, and if asked ICly, mention either or depending on which age you put on the bio. But yes, eighteen or up is the age the Vanguard recruits or volunteers at.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back