• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Abwehrans For Bravery Above and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abwehran Commander

Inactive Member
Five Days After Operation: Broken Martyr
Imperial Palace, Großartige Festung, Abwehr, Jaspis System
3530 Local Time

The Imperial Palace was certainly a sight to behold. One of the oldest buildings in the oldest city of Abwehr (possibly even the first), the Imperial Palace looked very much like an ancient Fortress from the Great Conflict Era of Abwehran History. Of course, it had been constantly renovated and preserved over the years to make it what it was now. While the appearance of the great citadel looked ancient, it's construction was made of modern material. Specifically, the Imperial Palace was designed to literally be a modern day Fortress with meter-thick walls of steel-reinforced concrete and projectile-resistance window panes. This combined with the menacing, midnight blue armored, Imperial Guard made the Palace one of the most well-defended structures in all of Abwehr, sans major military installations.

Deep with in the mighty structure, there was a waiting room. In that waiting room, the man of the hour would wait with an Honor Guard of Imperial Guard fully decked out in ornamental Light Infantry Armor and ceremonial Vibro-Pikes, which were also decorated. They were silent and menacing like always, but were there only for ceremony. After all, one wasn't awarded with the Rosenthal Star very often.

Kris Black -- the lucky winner of The Star -- sat in an uncomfortable six-legged wooden chair, bored out of his wits. His deep blue eyes glanced around the room like a cat looking to get away from a child. The Guardsmen, while menacing, didn't strike him as a direct threat -- it was the window behind him. What if some Khorsoi had slipped onto Abwehr, and had a sniper trained on his back?

But he shook his head, and sighed. It was ridiculous to think someone still had it out for him -- yet. But to be on the safe side, he stood and stretched and calmly positioned himself next to a guardsmen and out of the Window's view.

"So... You boys come here often?" Kris asked with a grin.

As usual, the helmeted Guardsman stood silently with his Pike at attention. It was the same old story really. Imperial Guardsmen were always silent when on duty and plenty of tourists had tried to get them to react in some manner. The usual way to get a reaction though, was to do something stupid like commit a crime in front of them. Of course, that would just lead to the Guardsman showing said offender why they were some of the most feared soldiers in the Empire.

But, as luck would have it, Kris would not have to wait long. From one of the side doors of the Waiting Room, a well dressed Court Attendant would appear. "Ah, Herr Black. How are we doing today?" the slim, blonde woman asked with a stunning smile.

"This very moment? A sight better than five seconds ago. Though, I suppose it's a far worse day for these men. Baking in armor isn't a great way to go. Someone should send some water." Kris said, his grin withering as he assessed the attendant.

Chuckling at what she perceived as a joke, the attendant closed the door behind her and moved to one of the large, crimson curtains that decorated the room. Pulling them back, she revealed a set of large wooden-looking double doors. "Now Herr Black," she replied all business. "You will be in the presence of the Imperial Family and a few guests of State, including press, so I will take this time to go over some of the basic protocol with you. Please pay attention."

"You have mine and the Guardsmens'."

"Excellent," she continued as if trying to ignore the Guardsmen. "Now, you will be walking towards a raised dais where Her and His Majesties sit. That will be easy since your way will be carpeted and surrounded on both sides by Representatives, Flag Officers, Important Civilians, and Press. But you are not to walk up to them immediately," she began to explain.

"First, you must stop at the foot of the raised dais and bow respectfully to Her Majesty, which is the proper way of greeting her. For His Majesty, you will have to salute him like an Officer. Understood?"

"Bow before the Empress, and salute the Emperor. Jawohl! I trust there is some sort of shield to protect the Imperial Family? Best if I not fry my nose on it, or give someone an opening eh?" Kris said, hoping (and likely failing) to be subtle in his query.

"It seems you have been through a lot on Khorsovarolor, Herr Black." the Attendant replied with a sympathetic expression, probably a trained one for such situations. "But everyone is screened quite thoroughly before they are allowed in the Palace and threats from outside are quite non-existent considering we are deep within what is quite literally a bunker in the shape of a castle." the Blonde explained as if she actually knew what she was talking about. "If anyone were to hit the Palace, it would be with a weapon I doubt a shield could stop."

"Don't underestimate the Empire's enemies. We thought we were safe in our Staging Areas on Khorsovarolor -- bombings were common on Barracks. A lot of Marines ended up finding places outside to sleep."

Except me. I slept in a Tank, because the Khorsoi were too stupid to bomb them. He thought.

"Anyway, please continue with your briefing on proper etiquette."

Looking visibly disturbed by the Marine's comments, the Attendant cleared her throat before continuing. "Anyway, once you have done so, the Empress will speak to those attending before allowing the Emperor to cite your brave actions in saving your comrades. After..."

Kris snorted, remembering what he was really doing.

Grimacing at the interruption, the Attendant continued. "...the Emperor is finished, you may approach the Imperial Family to receive the Rosenthal Star. With that, you are to turn to face the Press so they may take Imagery of the event. Are there any questions?"

Kris thought a moment, and shook his head. "No. I think I know what happens if I'm rude."

"Quite," she stated rather abruptly as her eyes narrowed slightly. "Anyway, I also have a message from Her Majesty." the Attendant said. "She wishes that you would join her family for a private dinner to properly congratulate you on going above and beyond the call of duty."

Many things rushed through Kris's head at the news, not least of which was the fear of a bomb under the table. But, he figured it was appropriate and let his jaw drop a bit.

"Err... A Private dinner? I'm afraid that the honor is quite above me. I'm sure..." He looked at the Guardsmen next to him. "I'm sure this one'd appreciate and deserve it more than me. Or take your pick of any of the guards -- or all of them. Throw a party."

Kris placed his hands over his face and let them slide back down as he fell back into his chair.

"Void damn it. A dinner with the Imperial Family." What could be worse? He thought.

"Well, if you feel that way, I'm sure you can send a message back with me to respectfully decline." the Attendant responded a bit too happily. "After all, the Empire is a free nation." she stated with a shrug. As usual, the Guardsmen were disturbingly silent.

"...You really dislike me, don't you?" Kris said, eying the Attendant. "You can inform her I'll attend. Void scorch me."

"No, I..." she began to respond quickly before grimacing. "Very well. Anyway, the ceremony should begin soon. Please stand in front of the doors. Once they open, wait until you are announced before walking forward." the Attendant explained before quickly taking her leave.

"Right... Wish me luck boys." He said to the Guardsmen. "Actually, I don't think you will. If I piss someone off, it'll give you something to do."

Shaking his head and blinking, he stepped in front of the doors and gulped.

It wasn't a long wait however, as only a couple of minutes passed before the huge double doors began to swing open to reveal a pageantry of fine decorating and well-dressed individuals. And of course, a barrage of flashing lights from image recorders.

"Presenting Stabsfeldwebel Kris Black of the Weltraumflotte Marine Corp," the loud booming voice of a female announcer could be heard.

With a deep breath, and an appropriately shy smile Kris made his way toward the Dais as the Attendant had instructed.

Once at the foot of it, he bowed to the Empress, pulled up after a moment and saluted the Emperor with his top-right hand brought up next to his eye and inclined downward. He held it, waiting for the Emperor to let him drop his arm.

More flashes of light came from behind Kris as the Press seemed to go wild with the image taking. In front of Kris, the bright blue eyes of an Abwehran Hybrid continued their gaze upon him as the Empress sat upon her throne in courtly attire, which was a pair of slacks, tunic, and tailed coat in the Imperial Colors. Next to her and standing, was the impressive Emperor in similar attire. Only, the Emperor seemed more like a bar bouncer than royalty with his physical stature. His piercing, emerald eyes bore into the young Warrant Officer before his own upper-right hand rose to his eye in the same salute.

The gazes of the two most important people in the Empire fixed him in place like predators to prey. It was all he could do not to groan in fear as his hand came down, finishing the salute. His eyes grew wider, and he visibly tensed his shoulders.

With the end of that, Empress Bertina stood from her throne. "Today, in this very hall, we award a brave soul with our Second-highest military honor. It is something that we are rarely able to do and hope it remains so. That is because for every award we give to our honored heroes, there are dozens or even hundreds more brave individuals who never live to see such honors bestowed upon them. As we bestow Herr Black with the Rosenthal Star, We would like to think that we are dedicating it to all of our Fallen on Khorsovarolor." A solemn atmosphere descended upon the Audience Chamber as even the flashes stopped for a moment. As the Empress sat back down, Emperor Eckert stepped forward with a scroll of parchment.

"We, Emperor of Abwehr, bestow the Rosenthal Star upon Stabsfeldwebel Kris Black for his bravery above and beyond the call of duty. For when the Insurgency of Khorsovarolor attempted to wield Fusion weaponry upon not only Abwehran Marines but their own population, he bravely entered the missile silo with his comrades and deactivated them before they could launch. His gallant actions not only saved the lives of his comrades, but millions of civilians. Honor him as you would honor any that have come before him." With that, normally an attendant would step forward to give Black the award. Instead, the Emperor himself stepped forward with velvet-covered box in hand.

Unable to breathe from the fear that at any moment the Emperor would draw a knife and summarily execute him for cowardice, Kris took the box and bowed solemnly.

Ironic, that I'm so afraid of taking this damned item. He thought.

The moment Kris bowed, the storm of lights began to occur again as the Press madly took image after image of this grand event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back