• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Forums Reorganized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
πŸŽ–οΈ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
This morning I did a major reorganization of the forums.

Here's some changes:
  • Faction RP Forums category created. All active factions are now on the forum index, not just the major ones with 2+ plots. This is to help smaller factions be more visible.
  • Factions are now self-contained. This means their news, communications, and restricted plots are now inside them instead of scattered around the forum. This also means the Galactic News forum is going to be retired. Topics are being moved to their respective factions.
  • Yamatai now has a communications/government forum containing its 3 communications networks, news (SANDRA/YINN) and the senate.
  • An archives category was created. Faction archives may end up in there so you don't have to scroll past them on the forum lists.
  • A general RP forum is now prominent for thread based RP. This is a non-canon forum but threads there can be submitted to be added to the canon via the NTSE. I want to merge the threads from the independent forum into this, but I haven't yet because I need a way to sort the canon from non-canon.
  • Iroma faction archived (no active plots, no faction forum posts since January)

well that explains some of the strange behavior I saw earlier.

Might I suggest for consistency, that the Yamatai one be changed to just Yamatai Star Empire.

I'm still going to argue this, but I feel that a separate news forum (Proper news, not orders threads) is still necessary because digging through Yamatai and Nespleslian plots in order to find the forums is a bit of a hassle, wheras before everything was, conveniently, in one place. And less out-of-the-way.

I like the idea, I wonder is it possible to have a Forum appear in two places, eg Its under one, but a virtual link appears elsewhere that way people can find it either way?

Out of curiosity, what was the thought behind now having to log in to view the different plot threads?

Cowboy said:
Out of curiosity, what was the thought behind now having to log in to view the different plot threads?
I did not change any permissions that I know of. Can you tell me what you're having an issue with, specifically? Edit: I think I found what you meant and it should be fixed now.

Nashoba said:
I like the idea, I wonder is it possible to have a Forum appear in two places, eg Its under one, but a virtual link appears elsewhere that way people can find it either way?
I can set up links (like I did with the new information section in the new player area) that can point to a forum, but I don't have an easy way of putting a topic in two places at once (the closest we have in the shadow topic created after a topic is moved, but I don't like to use them unless I have to).

I do agree with Mog that returning the News forum, and specifically the News, would be best. Right now a player not part of a faction will, you know, probably never ever click on a faction page they're not in, even when that perky neko is waving her arms about.

Players knowing what's going on in the universe is pretty nice. Even may very well woo them into being interested in sign up for plots for it.

Edit: Come to think of it, how do the 18+s work now? Can people see it but not touch?

They are only visible to logged-in users with the correct usergroups.

The Lazarus Public Network goes under the Independent Roleplaying Forums.

They're not affiliated with the Lorath beyond one or two members.

I think having the independent and thread-based forums above the more-populated, and more-popular, faction forums is a fine promotion for now, but if it does not help translate into more posts and views for those sections, can the faction forums be bumped back above them?

Can you share some of the analytics numbers after a while so the community can see what impact, if any, forum order has on hits? That'd be cool using the Phoenix as a test subject β€” an already popular plot now above the fold.

Code:
>That'd be cool using the Phoenix as a test subject β€” an already popular plot now above the fold.
> an already popular plot now above the fold.
> above the fold.
Journo.

I second the sentiment. Seeing some data would be awesome.

Also: I think on the General Roleplaying forum, you meant to take off the (SARP Non-canon) bit in the title, right? That's all IC stuff, I thought.

raz said:
Can you share some of the analytics numbers after a while so the community can see what impact, if any, forum order has on hits? That'd be cool using the Phoenix as a test subject β€” an already popular plot now above the fold.
I don't have any "before" data for that and I'm not sure how to track that. If someone else wants to figure out some way to analyze it, go for it. I don't have any plans to.

The Lazarus Public Network goes under the Independent Roleplaying Forums.
Moved.

Topic icons have been updated so they look right on our dark background. I'm hoping to update the forum icons sometime soon too.

Now that nations have their own news forums, it's possible to use RSS to display a news feed for a nation. See Yamatai's wiki page for an example.

The forum imageset has been updated for the Star Army themes so that the icons actually work on the dark background.

Wes said:
The forum imageset has been updated for the Star Army themes so that the icons actually work on the dark background.

The old ones looked better. And, at least on my screen, there's a lot of image stretching going one, which didn't happen with the old set.

In my case the images are displaying fine. For reference, I'm using IE9 (?) on a Windows Vista OS. Not sure if that changes anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…