• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Freespacer Druidess

1171586707685.png

Druidesses are the spiritual caretakers of the Freespacers (aka Deoradh), and every ship in operation has at least one aboard. They commonly practice numerous rituals, both technical and religious, to interpret the needs and wants of a ship's spirit. In this regard their role is remarkably similar to chief engineers in other cultures.

As with spiritual tenders in other cultures, the Druidess plays a major role in maintaining the mental stability of their families -- the crew. This problem is much more common among the Deoradh than in other cultures, because their nomadic space faring lifestyle often isolates whole vessels for up to decades. By acting as both a spiritual soothsayer and a ship's counselor, they greatly alleviate the problems of long-term isolation.

Their third and most notable role is that of an inquisitor -- They have the authority to execute any Synthetic Intelligence or Deoradh that may be deemed a potential danger to the crew.

Okay. Now that I've set upon Deoradh ships, time for the people! I've been drawing tons of tech lately, but no (good looking) people. So I decided to alleviate that problem. If she seems a bit familiar, you may remember [her predecessor]. One of my first drawings when I was still just learning photoshop and how to work a stylus pad, so low quality compared to what I can do now.

Requesting critique and advice. Not just on their appearance, but my drawing style. Anything out of proportion, or looks particularly bad? Yes, I know its a bit punkish and slightly Gothic. This 'badass' character was supposed to contrast a second more 'good' character I was drawing, but at my current CG rate I won't be finished the second any time soon. Hence I decided to solo post her.

I wanted her to reflect the patchwork nature of the Freespacers, along with their hints at Roma and Pavee (Gypsies and Irish Traveller) culture. I also wanted to aim for something heavily steampunkish to reflect the huge amount of implant technology they use, and something "badass" to reflect the anarchist ideologies of the Free State. Finally throw in some pagan, voodoom and shamanism to cover the religious aspect. All together a strange mix, but fun to draw. ^^

Excellent work, I like the style and the girl too. Not to mention the color depth is very nice on the eyes.

Heck, it makes me want to have the Lorath run into the Freespacers. Shaman meeting Druid. Mmm, the fun of hippies.

Her right breast (left from viewer's perspective) seems pushed into her left breast a bit too much. Because of how much you show of the cloth top's side (below and viewer's perspective left) it makes her breasts seem off-center to me.

Her left elbow seems thin.

Her right leg (fore from viewer) is good, but the perspective on the tip of the boot seems off-center. It seems like we should be seeing the other side of that metal front portion (it should come to a point, not look swept to the side).

Otherwise -- I think this is absolutely fucking amazing, and is easily the best work you've done. It's even better than the robot. Your imagination ... just priceless dude.

An awesome visual for the race - it fires up the imagination.

Though, I do second Doshii on the uneven boobs thing.

Stupid transparent scarf! *Shakes fist* Thats what I get for drawing huge boobage instead of smaller ones. I'll take note of the elbow too. And as for the feet: she was originally barefoot and stretching on the ball of her foot, so drawing the boot over the stretching feet came out at a bit of an angle.

Its quite hard to draw people with minimal clothing to cover up imperfections. I really need to buy one of those posable anatomy drawing doll thingies that other artists use. Not sure what they're called, or I'd order it from an art supplies store...

Regardless thanks for the complements and critique. It really helps improve one's drawings by having critique to point out problems. I absorb the stuff like a sponge, which is why I improve so quickly. ^^

Leutre Veressis said:
I really need to buy one of those posable anatomy drawing doll thingies that other artists use.

Those suck and are too expensive for their use. Better get the over 60 articulated points Spiderman. That kicks ass. SAMPLES

Doshii Jun said:
Zairyo said:
Those suck and are too expensive for their use. Better get the over 60 articulated points Spiderman. That kicks ass.

This also made me laugh hard.

There's an "I CAME" pic done with that Spiderman, if I find that I'll let you know ^^

https://stararmy.com/starchan/character_ ... 027934.png

They're discussing The Grinder. Being a race of ice hunter-gatherers, its always an uncertain thing whether there will be a drought or not the next year. In the event that happens, they have absolutely no problem sacrificing a few members of the community to both reduce consumption and recycle their bodies for water. While regrettable, its a necessary evil of the Free State, where population control is a key element in rationing enough resources to survive in such a hostile environment.

This is some more anatomy practice, once again themed as Freespacer characters. I think the shading is pretty shoddy, but otherwise it didn't turn out too bad for a quick sketch. Despite the seemingly complex angles, I did this one without any sort of reference or skeleton art for the sake of exercising my mind's eye. Any proportions look out of shape, anyone?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back