• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Gauntlet / Bayonet

Yangfan

Inactive Member
1128575011754.png

Would this work, Derran? I believe I have the wires going the right way.

I know I'm not Derran but...

I belive you would need to have the wires around the box that is holding your Bayonet. You will also need a power source that is capable of generating a sustained direct current or some locking/unlocking mechanisum to keep the Bayonet out.

... I forgot about the power source, didn't I? Um, it's a battery. :p

The wires should probably go around the bayonet sheath, as Zack suggested.

Um, I'll fix them over the weekend, if I get the time. Use your imagination in the mean time. :D

And yes, I meant for the electrical current to be sustained when the bayonet is extended. It's not meant to be extended for long periods of time, since this thing will most likely run on a battery. When the bayonet is within its sheath, metal-on-metal friction should keep it from slipping out. This also means that the battery will need to put out a lot of current, in order to generate a magnetic field strong enough to force the bayonet out of the sheath.

Hmm, a notch on the blade at the very end of it could allow for a locking bolt to close down upon the notch and hold the blade in place, the locking mechanisim can be opened by the press of a button or something of the sort, thus allowing for the bayonet to be retracted. a method like that can allow for the conservation of battery power.

Locking the blade while it's extended would require a lock at every section, which would make for too many movable parts in my opinion. Locking the blade while it's retracted is definitely doable, however.

Was there any problem with this being approved for RP purposes?

I mean I know Yangfan didn't put it in the normal layout, or say who made it, and basically just asked if it was feasible, but ... and it seems to have passed the baptism of fire.

I suppose the real question is did Yangfan want to use it in the RP?

Well Yangfan ... did you? Or did you just want to know if it worked in theory for your own amusement?

Hmm. I was going to get to it over winter break. That obviously didn't happen. ^_^;;

It's not urgent, but I would like to see it in the RP someday. I believe I'll just let it sit here for now. I'll get to it eventually, move the wiring a bit, add a locking mechanism, write down some actual stats, etc.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back