• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Genetic Reconstruction

Tom

>From: Melchoir Vel Steyr
>To: NAM Head of Research Wazu
>CC: Grand Admiral Robert Davis, Genetic Scientist Sam Tristan
>Subject: RE> Nepleslian Genetics Issue

==================BEGIN MESSAGE=================

Dear sir,

When I first received your message I was overjoyed that NAM has given me this assignment, as it is in my interest just as it is NAM's to address the genetic problem of Nepleslia. As per se to your request and funding, I have carried out surveys and experiments in addition to my own previous efforts to isolate the cause and possible solutions to this matter.

Firstly, the causes. As you can see walking out in the streets, our population is composed mainly out of clones. My surveys have shown that the entire clone population has the Super Y Chromosome defect ( Or SYC ), while in the normal un-cloned population there is none, with some exceptions where there is a clone parent. It is only natural that the not normally birthed clones are the cause of this since natural selection would not doom a race to having 1% females.

So why exacly are there so many clones walking out there? The answer comes from our years of warfare. While training soldiers out of normal citizens will take a great deal of time and money, creating clones is a snap. They can be mass produced, they cost less, they are one track minded in their work and best of all nobody misses them should they go MIA. The demand for clones increased as our empire begin exploring the universe and occupying worlds, so much that clone production was being outsourced to the commercial sectors.

Then again, clones dont cause genetic defects on themselves either. But in a recent trip to the Nepleslian National Museum, I had analyzed the cybernetics that were being used during those times. When they were first being introduced, the radiation that these devices were producing was so high that they were not even given to normal soldiers, but to the expendable clones. Most of the clones had only minor difficulties with these implants, but the bodies of the rest were either rejecting them, or stopped functioning altogether.

While the clones were fighting a physical war, the clone producers were waging another. Each company wanted a clone that could function better, and due to combat statistics between cyberized and normal clones, this translated to clones that could better accept implants. The mutation caused by the implant's radiation had given the companies some genetic variation to choose from in picking new host materials for new batches of clones. First degree cloning has little complications, but however these corporations were engaging second and third degrees with their clones of clones, which in each generation eroded the genetic structure further.

Although these clones were always on the battlefield, some of them were "leaked" into society. In an effort to recover some of the genetic structure and to produce further variations for experiment, some companies deliberately paired up clone and normal Neps for their offspring, and the first of these leaks were not normal mutated clones either, but a certain specimen C-02067. This specimen carried the first recorded SYC defect. This was intentional as the companies were only interested in MALE children for warfare. Soon, every other company had C-02067's SYC gene for their mix and match affairs.

The leaks did not stop there, some clones escaped from the front lines, others, in times of peace, were discharged into society. Due to this, SYC took its hold upon our culture, creating the male dominated world that we live in today. The clones had also brought back with them their affinity to cybernetics which also became part of our identity as a race. The spread of the clones were also accelerated due to the lack of females in society (Thanks to SYC), the operation of the cloning vats were still in motion even in peacetime to maintain the population. More clones are now needed to replace those who had died, and more are being cloned out. It is a terrible vicious cycle.

See the quagmire we are in, my fellow scientist? I must admit that the damage is permanent as the clones has already been partially integrated into our society, short of loading all non-SYC's into a colony ship and nuking this place to dust. We won't be able to do that as most of the people in the military are clones themselves. So what we should focus more on is not elimination, but assimilation.

We would need to halt every cloning vat producing SYC clones (That means EVERY VAT). All our efforts are to go to waste should new SYC clones be let loose into society on top of those that are already there. However, these vats are in corporate possessions, and it would not go down well with us confiscating it.

Generally, this would also piss off our clone population because they would think that they are being "discontinued". The de-activating of the vats would mean the end of every one with SYC. But however this would be BAD because it entails a loss of our Cybernetics affinity, a clone backlash, and within a generation or two, a giant drop in Nepleslian population that would take another century to recover from. Which comes to my point: assimilation.

The clones must be allowed to reproduce. Should they find a suitable partner, it is possible for us to remove the SYC gene and replace it with a normal X hence producing a girl (Whoa, finally). The main problem is however, finding a compatible Y chromosome for boys, as these things can't be just manufactured out of thin air. Instead, I used the ground. While looking for genetic information in creating my Savtech - JANE, I had at one point to dig old bones at least five hundred years old. While I was mainly interested in female specimens, I encountered a great deal of pre-clone era males of which I can extract normal Nep Y's which we can use for gene reconstructions.

The children of the clones would cease to be clones due to the induced genetic variation. Due to the large amount of clones in society, we could partially automate this task and re-activate the cloning vats to produce this last generation of non-SYC children (I'm not going to call them clones now). These kids would still retain their cyber affinity. After that, we would destroy those vats for good.

I doubt there would be enough women to go around. Therefore, I suggest rapid distribution of the Savtech - JANEs to accommodate for this. I am willing to forgo all royalties from the sale and distribution of these devices to lower the cost the government needs to bear. I had created these for this purpose, and I would not want money to be a deterrent.

I end my report. I hope that this document would be of use to our glorious nation.

================= End Transmission==================
>From: Grand Admiral Robert Davis
>To: NAM Head of Research Wazu
>Subject: RE> Nepleslian Genetics Issue

Get this man into our fold immediately. Do whatever you have to. Offer him whatever he wants. I will not have him working for any other group.

-GRAND ADMIRAL ROBERT DAVIS-

RPG-D RPGfix
Back