• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Gaming Ghost in the Shell: First Assault (SACO)

Guard Dog

Inactive Member

It's a ghost in the shell tactical shooter... team based online

If I need to elaborate more there is something wrong with you

Cyberpunk games for the win!

Yea, saw this listed on Steam and put it on my wishlist :-3

Got a few friends whom are interested in this game actually, so might be one of which I'll end up playing.

Eeehhhh, but it's published by Nexon. I've been burned one too many times by good ideas turned sour by Nexon. I'm remaining skeptical, but GITS keeps me hoping.

Togusa was cool because he was just a human among what are basically superheros. It doesn't feel right to see him charging in guns a blazing... but my point is NeoTokyo is as close to a good ghost in the shell game as you can legally get without being sued, and I do mean close. The people who made it very much are trying to make a Ghost in the Shell game without having to pay for the characters. Despite it being nearly 10 years old there are still some people playing it last I checked.

Squint at the picture below and it kinda looks like Ghost in the Shell.

View attachment 3978

I'd rather play with eyes wide open.

I'd also rather pay for the characters, the updated engine, the experience in general. ESPECIALLY if there's voiced parts.

Don't want to pay a veiled attempt. Want the real, licensed, fully approved thing, yo.

This isn't going to have a single player campaign, my understanding is that it is just Team Deathmatch and a few other gameplay modes like CTF and Demolition.

This isn't going to have a single player campaign, my understanding is that it is just Team Deathmatch and a few other gameplay modes.
If that's the case, then it's not nearly as compelling for me. But if I liked COD-style games and GitS, I'd want the licensed bit anyway.

Zack's feedback is mostly right, Doshii. I had eyes on this for a long time since I knew you'd potentially be heads over heels for this, but this is just a reskinned shooter clone. It's a milking cow for fans of the series but that's about it. A lot of what they could have done with the GitS universe basically ended up being untapped potential; and yes, Nexon - the game company - do deserve their lackluster reputation.

By all means, be hyped. Enjoy the hype. Eventually, grab the game and play around with it. You might have a few good evenings with it, even. But it doesn't have the making of a game the GitS IP deserves.

Yeah if you were expecting a game that does justice to the awesomeness that is the ghost in the shell story, ehh; this doesn't make you think just shoot things next to your friends. Fortunately the thematic feel of the game is more than enough to get a solid experience from it if you're a fan of the series.

Nexon is the devil

Ghost in the shell is still awesome!

What would even be a proper GitS story based game? Like, with all the same actual themes and pacing of the show?... For some reason I can only really think of an modernized Snatcher. :D
aimg.gamefaqs.net_screens_1_8_f_gfs_45526_2_17.jpg

Last edited:
A quick google aaaaaand

View attachment 3986

How have I not heard of this?!

Though speaking of Ghost in the Shell style RPGs, there is Satellite Reign. Cyberpunk, Open World, RPG. Minds are uploadable, so there is effective immortality, but that technology is only available to those who play nicely with the ruling class. Missions are a mix of preparation, stealth, and just outright shooting when you need to.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/

I feel I've might have turned out sounding too harsh about the game.

If you look up information about the game (like this website), it seems like the game can be enjoyable. It's apparently a good FPS in its own right (even if it mixes things we've already seen from Call of Duty and Modern Warfare). It's apparently pretty as well, and the model come from the GitS IP look pretty enough. There's probably enough for a GitS fan to have fun with.

However, due to its "been there, done that" nature of the gameplay if you're familiar with past FPS title, I just think the game will probably just offer novelty to a GitS fan while the hype for it lasts. Hence while this could be a cool way to wile away time an evening when you just want to let loose and gun down some cybercriminals, it might be nice... but it's nowhere near the cerebral experience the GitS franchise has offered to its viewers thus fall, and thus might fall short longevity-wise.

Though speaking of Ghost in the Shell style RPGs, there is Satellite Reign. Cyberpunk, Open World, RPG.

Took the plunge on this, seeing as it is on sale on Steam at the minute. Seems pretty legit. Kinda impersonal (and not much of a detective-em-up), but very interesting in a covert ops squad kinda way. Cheers for the recommendation.

There are only a few real characters, and there is some fun plot in the form of world building.

The ending does have some payoff though! And once you have a few abilities under your belt the game really starts taking off.

Let me know when you beat it so I can talk about the ending without spoilers

RPG-D RPGfix
Back