• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Grammar check

Charaa

Staff Member
🎨 Media Gallery
Hello everyone!

So I think you all know what this topic is about, based on the title and I’d first want to make sure I mention that the reason behind me posting this, wasn’t due to someone randomly sending a dm to me, but something i was thinking about for a while.

I was born with a condition called Apert Syndrome, and this meant that I needed to take time away from school in order to go to a hostpital out of town and undergo reconstructive surgery. [We, uh, lost count at 31 surgeries so it might be close to 100] Unfortunately, because of the fact I missed school, my studies in English class were interrupted though I was able to pick up somewhat what I missed, but I’m a little self conscious that my grammar isn’t as good as some of you all, which is why I have installed grammar check programs.

I use both Ginger, and Grammarly, it is said to be overkill, but I don’t mind, but neither I nor my family is wealthy enough that we can pay for the full versions so I am making do with the free version. Unfortunately, Ginger has a weekly limit before I have to manually make corrections based on what it is showing, and sometimes Grammarly would say to take out the comma that Ginger said to put there, though it is rare when one wants to take something away, the other wants back.
Also, because the version I use is free, Grammarly doesn’t help with things like sentence structure.

Grammarly also randomly sends you an email with congratulations and makes mention of how many words there are in what was written. I don’t mind this, but there were some who said they did not elsewhere.

There was this that they posted ~~Link removed by Star Army Staff ~~

But as I haven’t used that before, I don’t know if its good. So what are your thoughts of not only what I have said but also the link I had posted to?

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed the link because it's a referral scheme.

I apologize, I didn't know that, I shall also remove that link from my bookmarks then.

I don't mind Star Army members recommending services to each other but allowing referral links seems like an invitation to get spammed as users will try to get credits on various sites by trying to get other users to click/sign up for stuff. Most other sites also consider referral links spam or against their rules I've found. Basically anything where the user gets a profit or benefit from posting a link.

I apologize or doing so, without thinking, but as Wes has said here, and in the DMs with me, does anyone know of some good resources or perhaps sites I could look into?

Thanks for sharing the resources, Charaa. Always nice to have more resources to rely on while writing!

I have taught a lot and talk about working with children a lot, but I rarely talk about my experiences teaching english to adult learners. If you want, you could send me a bunch of text once a week or once every other and I will do my best to work out any issues within it with you.

Commas can be tricky and are a major issue I have, too, but talking about it together rather than thinking we are alone in it is my best advice to you. Guides like this one on commas from purdue owl is a good way to pick up on specific topics, I think: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/punctuation/commas/index.html

RPG-D RPGfix
Back