• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Ground Combat? (setting question)

ShotJon

I have a little question. I looked through the forums and I am probably blind or I couldn't find.
I just wanted to ask if in every infantry combat is used power armor or if there is still a good old infantry with bulletproof vest and assaul rifles.
It is clear that in ships corridor it's not good move with large combat so there I woudl expect normal soldiers, but what about when you are on the ground?
I am new to this setting and since I would liek ot play Marine it woudl eb nice to know if my charcter must be using power armor or can be normal trooper.

Thank in advance, I know this is probably stupid question,
Shot.

Reactions: Wes
Solution
Currently there's no combat units in the SAoY that don't have power armor. What use would unarmored soldiers be in combat? Almost 100% of our enemies, allies, and/or potential enemies are using power armors for basically everything.
Light infantry do exist, though I don't think they are terribly numerous (and don't get much air-time). Most of the nations have massive industrial capabilities so pumping out millions of PA is not a big problem. The light infantry would be the rear-echelon troops I think, serving as the home guard and reserves. The PA are the front-line fighters.

A few years ago (OOC) they would have been more generally common but most of the nations have light PA now (including Nepleslia I believe) that can handle the role of close-in urban combat and boarding even in small places. Yamatai's PA have always been light models.

Edit: Some additional discourse here.
You would also find unpowered armors in use by noncombat personnel on warships (pretty much everyone not in the Infantry). It would be a waste of the sensor operator's time to train them in a PA but you would want them to have the option of a extra layer of protection if the ship was boarded. On front-line installations and ships that is the only role I see unpowered armors being used.

Reactions: Wes
Might be a good time as any (since I doubt we're going to run out of people who might be interested in non-PA ground combat) to expand on the base nations non-PA fighting forces. I imagine that number is small (Yamatai), but still worthwhile and might restore some prominent items (flak vests) into a limelight. It'd also restore some importance to PA in a battlefield if it wasn't highlighted as the 100% option in almost every situation. Or, at least, make a bigger importance on non-heavy combat PA (since in reality you need both heavy and light-troops to have control of a battlefield properly. See AT squads accompanying rifle squads) and a bigger focus on variants for support/artillery/recon/so-on and so-on.

It should be noted I'm aware that some factions have armors for different roles... but this is more of a fact that it's not universal and nor does it help promote the idea that not everyone runs around in PA. It seems weird that we could produce a suit of PA for EVERYONE in the military, obviously =3=b

Currently there's no combat units in the SAoY that don't have power armor. What use would unarmored soldiers be in combat? Almost 100% of our enemies, allies, and/or potential enemies are using power armors for basically everything.

Solution
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…