• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Hello!

Hi. I'm Moogle, otherwise known as that guy who just happens to know a few small things. Before you can advance any further, there are some things you ought to know about this setting.

1. Earth does not exist. This is set some undefinined time in the future past First Contact or whatever, so Earth does not exist in any way, shape, form, or myth.

2. Timecrossed characters are not allowed. You might have somebody who was stuck in some manner of cryo or memory storage for a few years, but nothing like what you've got.

3. Just stick to the basic skill copypasta, except for one or two skills you can add onto and say that "XXX is his better skill because he is more intelligent", and pick two or more skills and note that he is not so good at them.

4. I know you must want to be mr. big leagues when you start. We all did. But, that's not how that works around here. Start out as a businessman from an existing corporation, something not too high up the chain, and work your way up through roleplay. There's around two plots that have business involvement in them (that I know of).

5. Try expanding on his backstory. How did he develop into the person he became today? What decisions did he make in the past that he regretted? Both questions are perfectly valid things to ask yourself for this and future characters.

6. May I ask where you happened to pick up roleplaying from?

Mibbit is the standard client that we all use. it's an in-browser IRC client. It should automatically pull you into the room once you click the link and make a nickname.

Moogle said:
Hi. I'm Moogle, otherwise known as that guy who just happens to know a few small things. Before you can advance any further, there are some things you ought to know about this setting.

1. Earth does not exist. This is set some undefinined time in the future past First Contact or whatever, so Earth does not exist in any way, shape, form, or myth.

2. Timecrossed characters are not allowed. You might have somebody who was stuck in some manner of cryo or memory storage for a few years, but nothing like what you've got.

3. Just stick to the basic skill copypasta, except for one or two skills you can add onto and say that "XXX is his better skill because he is more intelligent", and pick two or more skills and note that he is not so good at them.

4. I know you must want to be mr. big leagues when you start. We all did. But, that's not how that works around here. Start out as a businessman from an existing corporation, something not too high up the chain, and work your way up through roleplay. There's around two plots that have business involvement in them (that I know of).

5. Try expanding on his backstory. How did he develop into the person he became today? What decisions did he make in the past that he regretted? Both questions are perfectly valid things to ask yourself for this and future characters.

6. May I ask where you happened to pick up roleplaying from?

Well, I will start from 6:

6: I GM'd a D&D series (of sci-if style)
5: I will try to do this
4: If I may, I was going to do like I explained to wes - going to fulfil my desire to join the army.
3: I don't understand what you want me to copypasta. if it is the skills, I was specifically asked to change them.
2:It was a good backstory while it lasted! I will change this. It didn't change anything big, it was just a twist, that's all.
1: what is the home world of the humans then, I will change it to that

Moogle said:
Mibbit is the standard client that we all use. it's an in-browser IRC client. It should automatically pull you into the room once you click the link and make a nickname.

May I have a link then? Also, I won't be on for another 1 to 2 ours, so I can't edit nor try out Mibbit. Sorry!

Why? Why would you even sign up on a roleplaying site if you have no intention of reading the fluff? It's right up there at the top of the page, under "Setting Info and Guides".

And if you have any experience with DnD, you must know that you don't start off a player character as, say, a level 20 lich. You start them off at level 1 and let them progress from there.

Levon said:

4: If I may, I was going to do like I explained to wes - going to fulfil my desire to join the army.
3: I don't understand what you want me to copypasta. if it is the skills, I was specifically asked to change them.
2:It was a good backstory while it lasted! I will change this. It didn't change anything big, it was just a twist, that's all.

6. Like TV said, you wouldn't start a PC off at level 20. It'd get broken very quickly. Until you learn the system 'round these parts, it's better to start off with something simple.
4. That's fine too. There's just a new plot starting up and they need business types to act as a "corporate interest". But army is perfectly fine and dandy.
3. By that, they meant you need to adhere to the format that they had. Your character is still technically "overpowered" by the standards of his skills.
2. Yeah, work on twists with GMs after you've broken in your first character or two.
1. We don't really have "humans", save for Nepleslia, but other than that there are a ton of human-derived races out there. Yamatai is one of the bigger ones, obviously, with what amounts to humans with synthetic bodies and minds.

Levon said:
May I have a link then? Also, I won't be on for another 1 to 2 ours, so I can't edit nor try out Mibbit. Sorry!
The link is located just below the banner, towards the right side of the small text links. "#Stararmy IRC"

Good day Tevon, my names Kyle. I'm a character mod and a technology mod for this site, I'll be here to try and help you out.

First off, please keep in mind that we would prefer that new players join existing factions - and there are plenty of them - before they even consider starting up their own faction or company, the reason is because players have a tendency to disappear on us from time to time either due to real life or because they lose interest. If this happens, then your company or faction will be absorbed into another pre-existing player or NPC company.

Not only that, but companies can't be on their own unless they are a faction, and you can't create a faction on this site without having roleplayed for at least three months (active roleplay)

Plus, having read through this thread. I get the feeling you're not really taking our guides seriously here, nor are you trying to look for the information yourself. The guide on our main page has a lot of information for newbie players to take in, but is a great source of information.

So, from a Character Moderator, I would strongly suggest you FIRST get involved in an already established faction until you've learned about the setting and how the universe is.

There is a link at the top of the forum header with a link. It reads "#StarArmy IRC"

While many others have posted before me, I cannot keep track of their varied advice and issues. Therefore, I will ignore everything they have posted and started from the very beginning with everything that I see wrong with this submission. However, that does not mean that YOU should ignore them. Their issues and advice are their own and remain outstanding until resolved to their satisfaction.

1) Humans are called Nepleslians. The word human is more of a biological category than a race. If you are looking for the closest thing to a human, then it is a Nepleslian. Read the wiki.

2) CEO and Fleet Admiral. First of all, why should we let you start off with such an exalted position? You've shown no evidence of your role playing skills or responsibility as a player. How and why are we supposed to trust you with this high profile, metaplot level power when older, more experienced players have been working their way up the ranks?

3) An IQ of 200 doesn't stop me from sending a Cruiser Squadron to brush away your defenseless corporation. Brains go nowhere in SARP without the ability to back it up with extreme violence. I would much rather have an average leader backed up by a dozen loyal, heavily armed men than a smart man with nothing else. Also, the level is what I call "Uber-special" which means that it appears to merely be an attempt to be infinitely better than the standard because you think that's the best way to stand out. Which means you have no experience with any serious role play.

4) Your character would not fit in any plots because he is not approved. And he is far too "Uber-special" to fit in. Unique does not mean Mary Sue. Any DnD player knows this.

5) Your skills require full sentences. We're not in the 2nd Grade here. We expect people capable of writing in flowery prose and overflowing detail. Your singular listings are hardly impressive. If he knows history, he ought to be able to tell me what the consequences of the First Mishhu War were as well as the importance of Ketsurui Yui in Nepleslian/Yamataian international relations. And with proper citations. If you are going to claim to know the history of SARP, I am going to need proof of your knowledge.

6) Your entire Pre-RP history is utter drivel. "Got sucked into a wormhole"? If his family is loaded, then he ought to have had the best starship which have detected the wormhole and avoided that episode entirely. "Diplomatic mission?" Who sends corporate types and children on diplomatic missions? The last people to send kids off to do a man's job were the organizers of the Children's Crusade. I believe we are all familiar with its result. Lastly, how does someone stuck in a wormhole for 4 years know anything about current events? Was he raised and tutored by worms before they died?

7) How does someone with absolutely ZERO practical military or leadership experience be trusted with a fleet? It contra to the entire military system of ranking.

8) I am sure there is more but I have other things to attend to and will return at a later date to resume this criticism. You will either get with the program or get much more, much heavier flak from me.

Sigma

Game Master of 4th AASP Fleet & NSS Venus

Moogle said:
Levon said:

6. Like TV said, you wouldn't start a PC off at level 20. It'd get broken very quickly. Until you learn the system 'round these parts, it's better to start off with something simple.
4. That's fine too. There's just a new plot starting up and they need business types to act as a "corporate interest". But army is perfectly fine and dandy.
3. By that, they meant you need to adhere to the format that they had. Your character is still technically "overpowered" by the standards of his skills.
2. Yeah, work on twists with GMs after you've broken in your first character or two.
1. We don't really have "humans", save for Nepleslia, but other than that there are a ton of human-derived races out there. Yamatai is one of the bigger ones, obviously, with what amounts to humans with synthetic bodies and minds.

Levon said:
The link is located just below the banner, towards the right side of the small text links. "#Stararmy IRC"

6: Well that is true, however my PC wanted to start at 20 so they could get into the game. The whole world was based harder though. I do see your point, however.
4 and final: I will be re-making my character as a starting business man. I am sorry to all I have pissed off my making an 'uber character'.

To any who criticise my information-finding skills:

I am doing this on an iPad. My PC is in for repairs, I will be collecting it in little over an hour. The web page doesn't format correctly, and I find it quite hard to navigate. I am sure it will be fine on my PC, although please don't criticise me as I can not find my way around on the iPad.

Kyle said:
Good day Tevon, my names Kyle. I'm a character mod and a technology mod for this site, I'll be here to try and help you out.

First off, please keep in mind that we would prefer that new players join existing factions - and there are plenty of them - before they even consider starting up their own faction or company, the reason is because players have a tendency to disappear on us from time to time either due to real life or because they lose interest. If this happens, then your company or faction will be absorbed into another pre-existing player or NPC company.

Not only that, but companies can't be on their own unless they are a faction, and you can't create a faction on this site without having roleplayed for at least three months (active roleplay)

Plus, having read through this thread. I get the feeling you're not really taking our guides seriously here, nor are you trying to look for the information yourself. The guide on our main page has a lot of information for newbie players to take in, but is a great source of information.

So, from a Character Moderator, I would strongly suggest you FIRST get involved in an already established faction until you've learned about the setting and how the universe is.

First it is Levon, but that is fine!

If you wish me to join a faction, I will! All I request is the information on which will fit my corporate character (which I will get to lessening the skills of). Also, I am not an 'abandoner', but if you want proof, so be it, and please lay your terms. Other then that, I see no means for anyone shouting at me?

Sigma said:
There is a link at the top of the forum header with a link. It reads "#StarArmy IRC"

While many others have posted before me, I cannot keep track of their varied advice and issues. Therefore, I will ignore everything they have posted and started from the very beginning with everything that I see wrong with this submission. However, that does not mean that YOU should ignore them. Their issues and advice are their own and remain outstanding until resolved to their satisfaction.

1) Humans are called Nepleslians. The word human is more of a biological category than a race. If you are looking for the closest thing to a human, then it is a Nepleslian. Read the wiki.

2) CEO and Fleet Admiral. First of all, why should we let you start off with such an exalted position? You've shown no evidence of your role playing skills or responsibility as a player. How and why are we supposed to trust you with this high profile, metaplot level power when older, more experienced players have been working their way up the ranks?

3) An IQ of 200 doesn't stop me from sending a Cruiser Squadron to brush away your defenseless corporation. Brains go nowhere in SARP without the ability to back it up with extreme violence. I would much rather have an average leader backed up by a dozen loyal, heavily armed men than a smart man with nothing else. Also, the level is what I call "Uber-special" which means that it appears to merely be an attempt to be infinitely better than the standard because you think that's the best way to stand out. Which means you have no experience with any serious role play.

4) Your character would not fit in any plots because he is not approved. And he is far too "Uber-special" to fit in. Unique does not mean Mary Sue. Any DnD player knows this.

5) Your skills require full sentences. We're not in the 2nd Grade here. We expect people capable of writing in flowery prose and overflowing detail. Your singular listings are hardly impressive. If he knows history, he ought to be able to tell me what the consequences of the First Mishhu War were as well as the importance of Ketsurui Yui in Nepleslian/Yamataian international relations. And with proper citations. If you are going to claim to know the history of SARP, I am going to need proof of your knowledge.

6) Your entire Pre-RP history is utter drivel. "Got sucked into a wormhole"? If his family is loaded, then he ought to have had the best starship which have detected the wormhole and avoided that episode entirely. "Diplomatic mission?" Who sends corporate types and children on diplomatic missions? The last people to send kids off to do a man's job were the organizers of the Children's Crusade. I believe we are all familiar with its result. Lastly, how does someone stuck in a wormhole for 4 years know anything about current events? Was he raised and tutored by worms before they died?

7) How does someone with absolutely ZERO practical military or leadership experience be trusted with a fleet? It contra to the entire military system of ranking.

8) I am sure there is more but I have other things to attend to and will return at a later date to resume this criticism. You will either get with the program or get much more, much heavier flak from me.

Sigma

Game Master of 4th AASP Fleet & NSS Venus

1: Thank for the info
2:Ok, as I said, lessening character
3:yes, I care for the IQ than brute strength - my decision. I may be a strategy man for your army. Either way, I will hold on to my brain.
4: Again lessening in progress.
5: Again, on iPad, hard to write full sentences.
6: Ok, it was a quick backstory I copied from my DnD.
7: As you may see, one of my skills is leadership, and the other is knowledge. I am quite capable. Either way, if you look into why I have that rank, it is of my (or was going to be of my) company.
8: I hope I have justified myself to stop the 'heavier' flak.

I also have an issue of the 'tone' of people posting here. I wish you all to be less aggressive please. I wish no war with anyone. I just wish to create a character that I was used to. It was a direct transcript from one of my DnD where I was a GM actually playing with the PC's. I am sorry for anyone annoyed. I don't mean any harm.

Levon

I have updated my character profile at

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=ch ... on_johnson

For those who would like to criticise me for that. I hope it goes fast so I can get into the game.

Known errors:
1: No Plot - I need to know which is the plot that is the corporate one.
2: No Organisation - I am open to suggestions, and I am also open to orders if the is only one I can go to because of the laws of the game.
3: I am not sure if my fortune is still to big. I have also revised my history, so if you read that, it will assist you in criticising it more.

Thanks!

Levon

I wanna apologize if any of our members were rude or condecending toward you, the problem is that you rubbed many of them the wrong way when you wanted to start from the very top right away.

Many members of this community, Kokuten, Nashoba, Moonman, Exhack, Abweh, Ira, Kai - just to name a few - worked for several years to get to where they are right now. Some of them run their own factions, some run a company, others help run a faction - such as Khasidel who is my co-Fm for my faction or Nashoba is the CO-Fm for Yamatai, Centurion who is the Co-FM for the Gartagan.

All of them, however, spent years getting to where they are; they didn't start off at the very top right away.

Sorry, dunno why I said Tevon and not Levon...

Kyle said:
I wanna apologize if any of our members were rude or condecending toward you, the problem is that you rubbed many of them the wrong way when you wanted to start from the very top right away.

Many members of this community, Kokuten, Nashoba, Moonman, Exhack, Abweh, Ira, Kai - just to name a few - worked for several years to get to where they are right now. Some of them run their own factions, some run a company, others help run a faction - such as Khasidel who is my co-Fm for my faction or Nashoba is the CO-Fm for Yamatai, Centurion who is the Co-FM for the Gartagan.

All of them, however, spent years getting to where they are; they didn't start off at the very top right away.

Sorry, dunno why I said Tevon and not Levon...

I know why you and others are pissed off at me. All I ask is now I've stopped, leave it behind, and look at the now. And it is fine about my name.

I know why you and others are pissed off at me. All I ask is now I've stopped, leave it behind, and look at the now. And it is fine about my name.

Wasn't pissed; I was just annoyed that you were not understanding what some of our members were saying.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back