• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Higaru Miyoshi

monsterfurby

Inactive Member
Hello there everybody! Here is a character I wrote up today.. if there is anything I can improve (and I know, that's probably a lot), let me know! :D
Also, I'm not sure about taking a command assignment with the first char - it's sort of elementary for his history, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Name: Higaru Miyoshi

General Information

Species: Yamataian

Family / Creators:
Father: Kensuke Miyoshi

Mother: Isaia Miyoshi

Brother: Haiun Miyoshi

Employer: Star Army of Yamatai
Current Assignment: Waiting for Assignment

Physical Characteristics

Height: 6'4''
Weight: 167 lbs

Build and Skin Colour: Strong build, light to very light skin colour.
Facial Features and Eye Colour: Commonly a soft face, but when in duty always tries to keep it hard and expressionless; watchful emerald-green eyes.
Hair Colour and Style: About shoulder-long, very light blonde hair tied together in the back.

Distinguishing Features: Higaru speaks in a very elaborate and diplomatic voice but tries to preserve an impression of strength and severity. His upright stance and the thin glasses he wears serve this impression.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality:
Higaru is young and idealistic. His sense of duty has evolved into an outright love for Yamatai. He feels as part of a whole and considers all of his actions to be of the greatest use to the Empire. He might still be inexperienced, but is also willing to learn and obey orders. Although he tends to deny it, Higaru does however have several hobbies and interests. For example, he collects exotic fish (obviously, as there are not many sorts of fish left on Yamatai itself) and is quite proud of his personal aquarium below his family's estate in Kyoto. Also he has a knack for so-called "Shenju"-Music, a soft, traditional style which has almost died out.

Dislikes: Illoyality, corruption, greed, anyone doubting the emperor's authority.
Goals: To redeem his guilt and perhaps begin a career in the star army.

History

Higaru was born on Yamatai, shortly after the creation of the Empire. His parents had successfully gambled on the emperor's rise and won privileged positions in the core world. The Miyoshi family soon accumulated a fortune, purchasing shares of many rising corporations and even increasing their wealth. At the age of 19, however, Higaru was caught meeting with militant anti-imperial rebels and arrested. It was only due to his parents' wealth and prestige, that he was quickly released. Soon after this incident, his mother fell ill. Plagued by his bad conscience, Higaru joined the planetary guard of Yamatai and was later approached by his future mentor, Chusa Katsu. The Commander offered him a position as political officer in training - the chance for Higaru to redeem himself. He agreed. After months of political indoctrination and military training, young Miyoshi has recently been introduced into the Star Army of Yamatai.

Skills

Leadership (Public Speaking & Diplomacy): His diplomatic corps training and his enormous patriotism make for a very convinving public speaker. In fact, he spends much time practising diverse techniques of public speaking and diplomatic etiquette to be prepared for all eventualities. Since it is his duty to encourage his fellow soldiers, this might in his eyes prove vital sooner or later.

Knowledge (Star Army History & Law): Since the star army is the backbone of the great empire, Higaru has studied its history with great interest. His officer training required him to acquire profound knowledge of the Yamataian law, which he also learned very quickly and with interest.

Fighting: Higaru received the standard procedures in hand-to-hand combat and other disciplines as part of his basic training. He is an above-average marksman and can adapt to different environmental situations in combat very quickly.

Communication: Obviously, he has also been trained in communications technology, procedures and protocol (in both combat and non-combat situations) and is fluent in English.

Technology Operation: Higaru is an advanced user of Kessaku OS and adept at basic computer programming. He knows how to handle most aspects of modern technology and, though not a "tech-wiz", knows some of the advanced tricks.

Mathematics: Higaru received basic mathematics training, to including up to algebra and trigonometry, plus some additional education from his family's private teacher.

Biology (Zoology): Higaru is well-informed about animals, especially nautical ones. He uses much of his free-time to read information about other worlds' species and collects exotic fish in his giant aquarium in Yamatai. Despite his specialization in fish, he also knows a bit about land and amphibious animals as he regards each ecosystem as a closely connected circle.

While not bad, there are a few things that should be mentioned.

1. The place one can start out in the Star Army is dictated by their OOC forum rank. I am an Itto Juni, for example. You have no rank, because you haven't put your contact information here:

https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106

Contact info is REQUIRED to RP.

2. While your character can hope to be an officer, you have to start at the bottom of the barrel, as a Santo Hei (Soldier, 3rd Class), as that'd be your starting forum rank when you get one.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! I changed my rank and position to Santo Hei / Caretaker (as that would be the lower-level political officer equivalent I guess).

No problem.

A Political Officer is a fairly lofty goal for a first character, but may be possible. Just make sure to look over the plotships and see where one would be most useful. If you RP it well, you may find yourself making the grade faster in a place where your characters skills are needed.

A good character, but I do hold a little reservation over both his position as a 'political officer' and with some of his history. It doesn't have any actions that should really be RPed out, so my objection to it isn't enormous.

Otherwise, nice work.

Solely on the level of the caretaker occupation, there should be room for that over either the Goban or the Sakura. As for the rest, I expect kinks can be ironed out through play.

Personally, I'd recommend approval.

Hey, the size is the bit of myself I put into the character :p And I'm not genetically manipulated, at least as far as I know B)

As for the political officer thing: Of course, upholding the crew's faith is one thing, but I imagine a ship also needs someone proficient at diplomacy, considering you never know who you'll run into in space. All in all it adds up to some sort of Counselor position.

Higaru Miyoshi said:
All in all it adds up to some sort of Counselor position.

Counselor position? We don't need a Counselor! Maybe if we had a blind engineer and a french guy with a british accent and a very sex-starved doctor, we might have a problem. But we don't.

Besides, you can't be a counselor! Everone knows counselors just sit around in tight catsuits next to the captain and state the obvious. What kind of job is that?

(All in jest. I really do like your character and it's of much higher quality than many others I've seen lately. You have read the material, which is good. Keep this up and you'll be in good with your chosen crew in no time. :3)

(However, I should point out that the Sakura *does* have a sex-starved doctor. >.>)

Is your character a bit clutzy? DO space ships fall out of the sky when there around? Just wondering, cause the last name seems familar..

RazealK said:
Is your character a bit clutzy? DO space ships fall out of the sky when there around? Just wondering, cause the last name seems familar..

Does it? The reason why I chose that name is rather complex though :p

FM: Well, I'm wondering if the Sakura would have use for Mr. Miyoshi to further the cliché...

Another thing: is there anything particular missing or in need of corrections, or do approvals take time in general?
I'm sorry for being impatient, but this thread has been sitting here for a while now...

1161584906140.gif

RPG-D RPGfix
Back