Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Horizon's Key] Job 01: Shakedown (Prologue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"D-26, thirty minutes." Eliot set the alarm on his datapad to max volume and put the construct in his pocket, then started moving towards D-26, and his new job.

Nicholai waited sat for a few seconds before another volumetric window appeared alerting him of a new message. Huh, that was fast. He thought to himself as he read it. When Nicholai reached the end he looked to his left, saw Gem waving and chuckled. She's gotta sense of humor, this'll be fun. The ID-SOL thought with a grin as he approached.

"Captain Gem Tabier? Nicholai Vandherson. I don't think anything on your list will be a problem, save for leading a team. Ain't done that in about 3 years, but supposedly it's like ridin' a bike. I still remember how to ride a bike." Nicholai said as he extended his hand to shake Gem's.

Connection with Horizon's Key's AI...Success. Immediately, a warm feeling overcame Kassiopea as she connected herself to the ship's AI system. Before she left port, she wanted to know that the AI was to be trusted because from her experience, they sometimes tended to be fickle. As she connected to the AI, she expressed herself to the construct in a non-threatening manner in order to not trip any alarms. She made a supposedly routine systems check, Hello! I am Spacecase Kassiopea 00-7908-0045 and I will be the one piloting the ship you inhabit. I hope that we will have the opportunity to good friends...of sorts. She disconnected from the system, knowing now that this one was to be trusted. She would have a good time aboard this ship.

The "intelligence" present in the Key's computer was a bacon-and-eggs code job in a high-end computing unit that could handle much, much more. It was void of all of the "frills" of the common military and civilian AI: no emotive routines, no personality, just raw functionality built to be brutally efficient in the performance of its routines and sub-routines without the other stuff gunking up the works and taking up processing time. However, the computer was still highly customizable in its methods and user interface, if the primary user (the CO of the ship the computer was installed in) desired such changes. And most of the system was supposed to be locked out from external and unscheduled intrusions...

The computer performed the digital equivalent of a double-take as "routine inspections" were being activated out of schedule. Those programs were immediately locked down and isolated from Kassi's access. After that, next time she attempted interface, she would "see" only was what she needed for flying the ship. All other code was invisible.

Gleaning no relevant information from the analysis of the Spacecase's greeting, the system noted Kassi's intrusion in the user logs and flagged the alert for Gem's attention. It also sent the Commander a copy of Kassi's greeting.

-----

Gem returned Nicholai's handshake with a smile. "Pleasure t' meet you, Mister Vandherson," she said. "I don' think y'll have to worry 'bout teams yet. You sound like someone that'd be good on security, if you're int'rested in it."

"Well ma'am I wouldn' be lie'en if I said I needed the job. If yer payin' I'm your man." Nicholai said. Can' exactly do dis job for free... Nicholai thought. "What should I call ye' by ma'am? Cap'n, Gem, Tabier," Nicholai chuckled lightly, "or ma'am. Of course, if ye' want some'n else say it."

"Ma'am's fine. Captain works too. But when y're off duty, call me Gem. As for your pay..." Gem leaned back against the archway of the airlock, folding her arms across her chest. "I'm offerin' free room an' board, basic needs taken care of, wi' pay bein' a percentage o' what th' ship earns, which'll be decided on at the b'ginnin' of each job accordin' to what sorta work it is.

"Now, I'm gonna tell ya up front wha' that means. Means that as long as we have somethin' to haul, you will be payed at th' end of each job. But it also means tha' if there is no work, there's no pay. I figure once we get ourselves a nice reputation that won' be a problem.

"Whate're you do wi' your pay is y'r business, but while y're with me you won' be needin' a place to stay or food to eat, as long as y' do y'r job an' as long as those two things are within my pow'r to provide." She looked him in the eye as she layed out the terms, watching to see if he was fine with it, regardless of what he'd say next. "On your end, do good work an' you'll be fine. Howev'r, you're free to leave at any time, I jus' ask that y'tell me before you do. An' that's my offer." When she finished, Gem stopped leaning on the airlock and folded her hands behind her back as she waited for Nicholai's answer.

"Sounds like a fair deal ma'am, err Gem." Nicholai paused a bit, feeling out Gem's name before continuing "If you're payin', Gem, you ain't gonna get nuthin' but my best. When you're not, you'll get the same. After all, gotta earn my keep don't I?" Nicholai smiled as spoke. This is going to be one of those trips isn't it... "Security you say? When do I start?" Nicholai asked.

"Right away, if y'can. After I talk to the next applicant, I'mna go gather up some supplies and prep for departure. Once ev'rything's set we're headed out." Gem smiled and put her hands on her hips. "So if you have anything y'need to get together, now'd be the time t'do it. I can show ya to your room now or ya can wait 'til I get back."

"Now is fine, all's I got are a few changes of clothing and my sidearm anyway." Nicholai said. "Pleasure to do business with you Gem."

"Same 'ere," replied Gem. She motioned toward the airlock and started toward it herself. The other applicant still had about fifteen to twenty minutes before he was scheduled to arrive, so there was time to show Nicholai around.

"And wha' should I call you? Do ya 'ave a nickname or someth'n' you'd rather be called than 'Mr. Vandherson'?"

Nicholai fell in step behind Gem. "Well, Nicholai is fine. 'Though I tend to think Mr. Vandherson sounds impressive, Nicholai is shorter. Of course, 'hey you' works just as well. One last thing, are there any rules I ought'ta know about while aboard your ship Gem? I'd hate to be rude unintentionally." Nicholai said.

"None that common sense shouldn' tell ya, I think." Gem thought that question over a bit before adding to her answer. "Don't steal from th' ship: If ya didn' receive it in yer paycheck, buy it w' yer paycheck, or bring it with ya when ya joined, it belongs to th' ship. Don' try hackin' the computer: It doesn' take kindly to that sorta thing an' if ya try too much it'll eventually not even let ya turn on th' lights . Finally, just do yer job well, an' everything'll be shiny." She looked back at him and smiled. "Watch th' first step. The 'lock is in th' ceiling of th' Upper Bay, and ah turned off th' gravity to make th' transition 'tween the station and th' ship easier." With that, she 'dropped' into the bay, then pushed off toward the hatch that lead to the forward section of the ship.

"Nice ship you got here, Gem." Nicholai said as he dropped behind her. Nicholai looked around for a bit before he pushed off after Gem. I could get used to this... Nicholai thought. "Do you have any other crew already, or is just me?"

"Thanks. An' jus' two others. A pilot an' an engineer. Y'd be th' third ta join." Gem realized that she hadn't heard from Nemo in a while...once she showed Nicholai to his room, she reminded herself to check her messages.

She led him into the connecting stairwell and then down to Deck Two, port side. The corridor was octagonal and fairly spacious at about 3.5 meters high and wide. There were nine doorways, with labels on the wall next to each door. The first one was an armory, the second and third were crew quarters, the fourth and fifth opened to a single shower/restroom, sixth through ninth were more quarters. At the forward bow was the main armory and munitions storage, which was almost completely empty at the moment. And, finally, about halfway down the corridor was a connector hallway that had doors to the rec room and mess hall.

"D'ya prefer port or starboard views?" Gem asked, turning around to Nicholai again before continuing down the corridor.

Nicholai took in the sights as Gem showed him around, one particular thing he noticed was how empty the armories were. Hope we don't get into any fights... the ID-SOL thought as Gem led him onward. Then again, these things look like they can hold a lot, so we could probably stock her up. But that ain't gonna be cheap...

"Well I kinda like the sound of starboard. So let's go with that." Nicholai said with a grin after Gem had asked him what side he'd like his room on.

Gem wasn't so much showing him around as she was just leading him down the hallway. All of the rooms were marked with identification placards next to each door, though, so he could pick up what was where as they walked. Also, the doors were open. Reasons for that was both because there wasn't anything of value to steal yet (Gem'd already stripped the rooms of anything worth selling save for the already-minimal furniture) and because it would make it easier to spot a room that someone was trying to hide out in if the door was unexpectedly closed.

The Commander nodded to Nicholai and turned back to continue walking forward until she reached the cross-passage that led between the mess hall and rec room. "Starboard it'll be, then," she said. "Jus' pick any o' the rooms marked 'Crew' that 'ave their doors open. M' pilot shoulda already claimed one, but th' engineer hasn't turned up yet. So you'll have second pick 'ere." She looked at Nicholai and smiled. "I'll get ya set up w' th' ship computer, an' feel free t' explore. Miss Kassi-oh-pea-uh..." -- The way she said the name put stresses on the start of each syllable on purpose -- "...should be aroun' somewhere...an' I guess that's all 'til we get under way. If ya need to get a hold o' me, datapad message is th' easiest way. So...welcome aboard, an' I look forward t' workin' with ya. Now, if y'll 'scuse me, I have to interview th' next applicant." With a smile and a nod, Gem turned and went back to the airlock to wait for Mr. Eliot Steele...

... Who was already at the airlock. He was grinning triumphantly as well, obviously impressed with his own timeliness.

"Afternoon, ma'am," Eliot said, pushing himself off the wall nearby.

" 'ello. You're...Mr. Eliot Steele, righ'?" Gem looked the cargo worker over from foot to head...he was over half-a-foot taller than she was. Not that Nicholai had been someone to consider 'short' himself...she offered Eliot a hand, giving him a smile and a nod of greeting.

"Commander Tabier, nice t' meet ya."

"Likewise, Captain Tabier." Eliot returned the handshake, tipping the brim of his hard-hat in a mock salute.

"So, where do you need me? I can start now."

Eager, ain't he? Gem looked at Eliot's face, amused. "So y'don't care what you'll be paid? Where ah'm going, what you'll be haulin'?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back