• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

How does nomenclature work when a ship system is subcontracted to a different manufacturer than actually produces the whole ship?

Yuuki

Wiki-chan! Ganbatte yo!
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This is probably one for @Wes but you never know.

So the Yugumo Fleetworks engines and Geshrinari Shipyards Aether generator on the Ke-D2-8A would have a nomenclature, if the ship were made by Yugumo Fleetworks Yu-D2-P4601 except Yugumo has only ever made one D-class vessel, and the one they will be releasing in YE46 is just the D1-2A, not a D2. Likewise the Aether Generator has a Ge-G3300 designation, despite being a ship component it is ... nomenclated? ... as a standalone generator. It would be a Ge-D2-G4601 also, most likely, given it is almost certainly their first generator application designed in YE46, if the ship were made by Geshrinari.

However, the ship is not, made by either YFW or GS, it is a KFY ship. If the systems were Ke-D2-P4601 and Ke-D2-G4601 manufacturer information is lost for the integrator information in its stead. However, I suspect this may actually be correct.

Solution
Subsystems match the ship. So anything for a Ke-M2-6A would be be Ke-M2-W4601 etc. There's a big difference in an Ke-T1 and a Ge-T1 and doing anything else could get confusing.

I thought about if it's permissible to call something the Ke/No-M2-W4601 if it's a Novacorp-made subsystem for the Ke-M2 series. But it would get weird if there's multiple manufacturers and you end up with names like the Ke/Yn/No/Te/Sp/Ea/Ke/Rs-M2-W4601.
Logically it would be the ship manufacturer with the nomenclature.

Edit: As the systems themselves have their own nomenclature, it would make sense for the whole ship to have the nomenclature of the final producer. The alternative would be like saying that your Personal Computer is Logitech because Logitech built the mouse :p

Last edited:
I suspected as much. You'd just have a different prefix in the system manufacturer's nomenclature catalog than their own. It would make things easier if the system manufacturer had a matching middle portion for their own product as well.

Subsystems match the ship. So anything for a Ke-M2-6A would be be Ke-M2-W4601 etc. There's a big difference in an Ke-T1 and a Ge-T1 and doing anything else could get confusing.

I thought about if it's permissible to call something the Ke/No-M2-W4601 if it's a Novacorp-made subsystem for the Ke-M2 series. But it would get weird if there's multiple manufacturers and you end up with names like the Ke/Yn/No/Te/Sp/Ea/Ke/Rs-M2-W4601.

Solution
RPG-D RPGfix
Back