• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

How heavy is Zesuaium?

It has been historically described as being heavy. How about we say it is equal to the weight of gold?

If Zesuaium does not conduct electricity, heat, or any form of EM Radiation, that usually means it is quite dense. Density usually goes hand in hand with being rather weighty. It takes layers of lead to act as a proper shield against radiation due to its density, and even then you still run the risk. But, with the complete stopping power Zesu has in this regard, it'd be quite dense which equals weight. Gold would be too light. Imo.

I have heard tell of Zesuaium being used as a featherlight personal armor in the distant past, and have been under the impression for some time that it weighs less than either Nerimium or Yamataium, but is still heavier than Durandium. Is this correct, Wes?

Kai: Maybe your thinking of Zesuanium coated armor?

Soresu: You're right. Given that it's totally immune to all conventional forces (heat, magnetism, electricity, kinetic energy (bending, shattering)), it must be of an incredible magnitude of density. Like degenerate matter ("neutronium"). Realistically such a material would likely weigh hundreds of thousands (!) of pounds per teaspoon, but for the sake of convenience in roleplay it seems to be less. It should certainly still be a lot heavier than gold though, by several magnitudes, if not douzens.

I recall hearing numerous times that Zeusaium is extremely heavy, at least on the magnitude of Nerimium, if not greater. I thought this was the IC reason that it was mostly downsized as a primary armor, being implemented instead as little more than a coating to help buff up lighter armors.

Gold is actually very light in comparison to modern combat armor like Chobham (contemporary tank armor, weighing in at 40 to 60 tons to armor a tank).

I thought Zesuaium would be heavier than all known elements -- Making it unreasonable to use in many situations and difficult to transport or manufacture.

To my knowledge it is difficult to manufacture. Due to its properties it is extremely difficult to repair, hence why I've been seeing "Zesuaium Coated" and not straight Zesuaium armor plates due to these two issues. It may just be my take on it however.

From my gallivanting about the forum for the last couple of days, I came under the impression that Zesuaium was on the order of hundreds of times heavier than the heaviest of all conventional (that is, real-life) elements. Not including man-made elements, however.

But I do believe it's ridiculously WHOAMG weighty due to its density, which is why it has been downsized.

You'd think it would be difficult to use as armor, sure, but the fact remains that there is no weight in space.

So, to conclude, I'm really not sure what the deal with Zesuaium is.

Frown-chan said:
, but the fact remains that there is no weight in space.

More mass, the more thrust required to propel the mass. The Himiko-Class is a prime example. While most SAoY ships have .375c speeds, the Himiko doesn't, due to the thick Zesu and Yamataium armor plate she has. Even when 'coated' the stuff is heavy. So yes, thrust to mass. You put enough on, no matter what level of tech you have, unless you're amping out a LOT of power despite only having a fairly limited number of places to put generators, and your engines are powerful enough, you won't be moving, or won't be moving fast you would be a brick in space. Big big deal there.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back