Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

How Much Does Star Army Cost to Run?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
Star Army costs over $200 a year to run. This year alone I've spent over $350 on it. That's more than I make in two months right now. It's really starting to be a strain...right now I don't have enough to pay for our character art commissions projects, even. Not only that, there's just so much I would like to do for the site and the Star Army player community that I can't because I can't afford it (things like hiring designers/programmers for site improvements and lots of little stuff like flyers, bookmarks, and business cards to spread the word).

So far:

NO ONE has donated.
NO ONE has bought any Star Army swag from the store.
NO ONE has bought any items through our Jlist affliation program.

Bottom line: I want to keep the site free, but we need to find a way to make Star Army make a profit, or at least support itself.

Discuss.

I'm in college and am currently job-searching.

That's really the only pair of excuses I have about me.

But back to the business. Those are all ways to gain some profit. But how much advertising are you doing about those things? I knew about the SA swag, but I never knew about donations and the affliate JList.

mattlionheart86va said:
I'm in college and am currently job-searching.
Me too.

mattlionheart86va said:
But how much advertising are you doing about those things? I knew about the SA swag, but I never knew about donations and the affliate JList.
The donation link is on the main menu and the J-list link is on the vote page (Why aren't you voting for the site?).

I'm going to set up a new donation page soon, that says why people should donate, what I can do if they do, and what will happen if they don't.

Honestly.....>.>.....<.<.....

I check the forums more than I do the main page. When I check the main page it's usually for specific information and then I sort of just...bypass everything else to get to it.

Gomen. ^_^;;;

Oooh, the coffee mug looks pretty cool. I'll have to get one of those. After I get paid. ;_; Due to processing downtime I won't be getting paid till the end of this month. >_<

I'll see what I can throw in monthly if it'll help. Better my frivilous money can help everyone here than by me more things I don't need ^^;

(I actually do vote for us from time to time XD)

DONATE OR DIE 2005.
I LOLed.

You know, if you wanted to donate $50 each to 4chan and StarArmy at the same time for $50 instead of $100, you could actually donate $50 (either by yourself or with some others)to Star Army and I would turn around and buy a month of rotating StarArmy banner ads on 4chan.

Better hold off. You never know; 4chan MIGHT die. Even with all that money, moot is claiming death be upon us.

This doth not bode well!

(I'll donate $10 more to anyone who gets the reference WITHOUT going to Google. I know someone knows it).

I'm really sorry, but I have no capacity for paying over the internet. I really would donate, but I have no way (Lack of credit card, electronic cash etc.), as soon as I can, I will. Possibly even by a mug.

But it is unfortunate it costs you so much. I am with you in financial spirit. I will help when I can.

Did the best I could do at the moment. Good luck with the fundraising and keeping the site up. I'll have to pick of one of those spiffy jerseys sometime too :)

You never know; 4chan MIGHT die. Even with all that money, moot is claiming death be upon us.
Yes, I know. I was at their last meeting. Star Army won't be buying any more banner ads until I know 4chan isn't dying, except if someone wanted to go for that double donation idea I posted above.

EDIT: I'd like to give a big shout-out to Nick and Jacob, who just donated $20 each. That kicks ass--it's about 2/3rds of a year of hosting we no longer have to worry about. Thank you two so much, guys!

I don't think I added more than $2 to any of the base prices cafepress gave me. The base prices alone are a little high by my standards, so I didn't want to add much. Items at the StarArmy cafepress store have only $0.50 (stickers and such) to $2.00 (most shirts) of StarArmy profit as far as I remember. The rest goes to cafepress.

Yangfan said:
How about an OOC medal for people who donates?
I really don't like character medals for OOC stuff...I'm trying to phase the other ones out, actually.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back