• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

How Much Does Star Army Cost to Run?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Star Army costs over $200 a year to run. This year alone I've spent over $350 on it. That's more than I make in two months right now. It's really starting to be a strain...right now I don't have enough to pay for our character art commissions projects, even. Not only that, there's just so much I would like to do for the site and the Star Army player community that I can't because I can't afford it (things like hiring designers/programmers for site improvements and lots of little stuff like flyers, bookmarks, and business cards to spread the word).

So far:

NO ONE has donated.
NO ONE has bought any Star Army swag from the store.
NO ONE has bought any items through our Jlist affliation program.

Bottom line: I want to keep the site free, but we need to find a way to make Star Army make a profit, or at least support itself.

Discuss.

I'm in college and am currently job-searching.

That's really the only pair of excuses I have about me.

But back to the business. Those are all ways to gain some profit. But how much advertising are you doing about those things? I knew about the SA swag, but I never knew about donations and the affliate JList.

mattlionheart86va said:
I'm in college and am currently job-searching.
Me too.

mattlionheart86va said:
But how much advertising are you doing about those things? I knew about the SA swag, but I never knew about donations and the affliate JList.
The donation link is on the main menu and the J-list link is on the vote page (Why aren't you voting for the site?).

I'm going to set up a new donation page soon, that says why people should donate, what I can do if they do, and what will happen if they don't.

Honestly.....>.>.....<.<.....

I check the forums more than I do the main page. When I check the main page it's usually for specific information and then I sort of just...bypass everything else to get to it.

Gomen. ^_^;;;

Oooh, the coffee mug looks pretty cool. I'll have to get one of those. After I get paid. ;_; Due to processing downtime I won't be getting paid till the end of this month. >_<

I'll see what I can throw in monthly if it'll help. Better my frivilous money can help everyone here than by me more things I don't need ^^;

(I actually do vote for us from time to time XD)

DONATE OR DIE 2005.
I LOLed.

You know, if you wanted to donate $50 each to 4chan and StarArmy at the same time for $50 instead of $100, you could actually donate $50 (either by yourself or with some others)to Star Army and I would turn around and buy a month of rotating StarArmy banner ads on 4chan.

Better hold off. You never know; 4chan MIGHT die. Even with all that money, moot is claiming death be upon us.

This doth not bode well!

(I'll donate $10 more to anyone who gets the reference WITHOUT going to Google. I know someone knows it).

I'm really sorry, but I have no capacity for paying over the internet. I really would donate, but I have no way (Lack of credit card, electronic cash etc.), as soon as I can, I will. Possibly even by a mug.

But it is unfortunate it costs you so much. I am with you in financial spirit. I will help when I can.

Did the best I could do at the moment. Good luck with the fundraising and keeping the site up. I'll have to pick of one of those spiffy jerseys sometime too :)

You never know; 4chan MIGHT die. Even with all that money, moot is claiming death be upon us.
Yes, I know. I was at their last meeting. Star Army won't be buying any more banner ads until I know 4chan isn't dying, except if someone wanted to go for that double donation idea I posted above.

EDIT: I'd like to give a big shout-out to Nick and Jacob, who just donated $20 each. That kicks ass--it's about 2/3rds of a year of hosting we no longer have to worry about. Thank you two so much, guys!

I don't think I added more than $2 to any of the base prices cafepress gave me. The base prices alone are a little high by my standards, so I didn't want to add much. Items at the StarArmy cafepress store have only $0.50 (stickers and such) to $2.00 (most shirts) of StarArmy profit as far as I remember. The rest goes to cafepress.

Yangfan said:
How about an OOC medal for people who donates?
I really don't like character medals for OOC stuff...I'm trying to phase the other ones out, actually.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back