Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

"How the other halve lives" Civillian FTL Drive Co

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millia said:
Ever here the saing "Theres more than one way to skin a cat." This is my cat, his name is Physics.

The irony of that statement, in this thread and in this setting, cannot be over looked, congrats for making my day amusing.

But anyway I respond with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Meaning that we have 2 to 3 methods of FTL already. I've seen online settings get overun with FTL systems before, it just becomes more of an annoyance than its worth.

Friction so doesn't make sense at this point ...

There is no friction in space, avoiding it doesn't help you.

Thomas: There is friction in space, for example, if a ship slides against a space-dock's walls as it's trying to get out.

By no friction I mean that in the void of space the matter you will encounter will be extremely small - hydrogen gas mostly - and will have a tiny effect. Especially if you have a shield.

Avoiding the friction would hardly speed you up, certainly wouldn't make you go FTL.

Ah, then in that case I have to agree with you, the whole anti-friction thing doesn't make much sense. I think a temporal warp like I suggested would make more sense.

Yeah, on another board a player had a race using temporal weapons. Which sucked since they were severely overpowered. Time based tech while cool, is kind of well, overpowering or could just get to complicated in the end.

:(

Anyway, let me explain: I believe she's saying that the field projected is completely devoid of energy and therefore can't react with the outside world. It then multiplies the ship's inertia by a couple million times.

What she hasn't explained is what causes the ship's inertia to grow.

P.S. to Soresu: Wes mentioned that some sort of temporal energy is used in the creation of Zesuaium, meaning that we already use some form of "time based tech."

Well, it sounds like this system would take significant time to speed up and slow down--that makes it inferior to current tech.

Basically, I think it's unnecessary. We've already had discussions about FTL that have basically confirmed "We have more than enough FTL methods and they're probably too fast already."

It breaks my heart to have to say no to a cool new roleplayer, but I'm trying to encourage people to build within the current environment when possible. The fictionless space proposal is somewhat drastic and in the big picture I don't think it'd do the RP any good to approve it. Sorry again.

Non friction Non energy. Gravity radiation ect. The faster anythign goes the more effort is required to continue exceleration.

The drive works as follows.
Inside the ship a chamber containing two polarized plated compresses a vacume between it at the same time drawing energy out of the increaseing area. Once devoid of energy this null field expands untill it reaches an opposeing field. (in the case of a starship it's navigational shields) Durring the buildup of this field the vessle accellerates on it's desired hedding. When formed the initial velosity and thrust of the engines is now acting on a object with no mass in relation to the outside world allowing the exponential speed to break the speed of light.

On the inside the ship only has the stresses of moving at it's origional speed but can not accelerate conventionaly. The legenth of time this field can be maintained gives each ship it's single jump range rangeing from a few hundred to a thousand light years putting great strains on the Jump drive and main powerplat itself. Smaller jumps can be acomplished with much less stress on the parts. When neering it's plotted destination the vessle begins to gradualy drgrade it's containing field droping it back to the same speed that it entered the jump in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back