• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

HUD Helmet

Ioakim Xerxes

Inactive Member
Well I finally got to go around to posting this neat (to me) little thing. It's basically like those you find in a game. The helmet is a basic helmet provided with some extra space for the computer around the back. and face plate are bullistic towards most light small arms fire.

In the helmet and face plate there is a onboard computer small and light enough for the weaer to use without difficulty. so far it'll have 3 styles of view, thermal, night, and normal. Maybe a radar for spotting friendlies, or a motion tracker with a limited range.

With the addition of a "smartlink" on the gun, or information about the weapon downloaded into the computer, the helmet will be able to tell where the majority of your shots will be. Plus to it will show where you are aiming with a red dot that can only be seen by the wearer(you can have your weapon down by your waist and still be able to see where you are aiming). It's power supply can be recharged or be replaced if damaged. So far I can't find a good power supply ((need suggestions here))

so far this is what I have, and um... when I can draw I'll show a pic or something. that's it.

If the helmet would be integrated into a power armor, just hook it up to whatever power source the armor has.

Otherwise, maybe a fuel cell of some sort.

The big problem with your classic video game hud ((Take Halo for instance)) is that it assumes a stiff, static posture. Your aim with never vary with a crosshair, but I know several people who can shoot effectively without aiming. Pistols, for instance, were considered point and shoot weapons and you weren't really supposed to aim wth them. This is why the iron sights are so small. They were there if you needed them, but they weren't exactly the greatest. Instinct shooting was a better skill to develop with them.

One place where instinct shooting is used is in those arcade games. The sights are always off, and you are constantly trying to get a feel for where the shot will actually go. Proper positioning, and position consistency is key with this.

The whole reason a crosshair was developed in the HUD was to allow people to play the video game and know where the bullets would be going. A good game that did not really encorperate this HUD system was 007 Golden eye for the N64. People would tape a dot to the screen because that was where the bullet would go, or you could ADS and you would get a red cross hair. Not exactly perfect, but it instilled the same sort of skills.

Ammo count, equipment on person, IFF, Vitals, and other such things however would be great for a HUD system as it leaves information directly there for you to see. A system showing you where the gun is aiming would be best if you had a system like the corner shot, where you can't exactly see what you are aiming at with your own two eyes would be effective.

This would be very basic in this setting! SAoY has computer assistance, tactical networks, and more, that can bring soldiers away from merely thinking about where to aim, and toward only needing to decide what to shoot, while their software assists show them how to do it; even in rotating reference frames, predicting where targets will move, providing silhouette projections of the possibilities, and so on.

I think just a basic HUD would be an antique for any major faction (or at least Yamatai, Nepleslia, and the Freespacers), though in some rare environments it might be useful (just like iron sights are sometimes more useful than electronic ones, in the modern day.)

Volumetric sights would look pretty cool, though.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back