• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

READ ME "Hyperspace Tap" - Changes

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
Hi all,

After seeing @Alex Hart make the recommendation in Discord that a thread be made for this. Here it is.

We've recently found that "Hyperspace Tap" is a technology used in the Babylon 5 universe. Rizzo recently submitted this: Personal Hyperspace Resonance Generator on Star Army Space Roleplay which removed the "hyperspace tap" language from the article. We would like to get other articles that refer to this technology changed as well if possible.

As you all know we try to avoid anything copyrighted or part of other unique universes when we can.

Thank you.

Honestly, I didn't know that B5 had it. To my ear, 'hyperspace tap' sound pretty generic sci-fi term I'm pretty sure I've heard of it in other scifi universes other than B5. That said, if we want to get rid of it that's fine. I imagine that a hyperspace tap and Aether are pretty similar technology wise. So that is probably the terminology we want to switch to.

I remember Zero Point Energy sources, but never heard of it either. Can't find anything official, but it make sense. People always seem to start looking for coins in the couch aka lawsuits in times like these. Maybe Hyperspace Shear Power Generator, Hyperspace Power Shunt, or Hyperspace Shear Shunt.

This may seem kind of basic but considering their common tech base Nepleslia could just change it all to aether via retcon and nothing of note would be affected. Then we don't even need to write a new article for the tech. Also hyperspace taps are extremely close to aether in function anyway.

Yeah, if I google "hyperspace tap" it's a good 15 pages of just B5 before I got tired of flipping though, and nothing else. I'd say the two are inextricably linked. And yeah, what Wes said, people sleep on Nepleslian tech– Geshrintall may have got a lot of the best and brightest but the two societies only separated into nations 15 years ago IC basically.

I offer the name Hyperspace Resonance Generator. It’s as close to a literal description of how the hyperspace tap functions and requires minimal rewriting.

Nep does have recent (within the past 5 years) slight upgrades to aether generators and even a few aether powered ships. Might just be time for a major modernization/overhaul of its fleets to throw checkmates in them all at this point.

Sure, and if you want IC motivation, Yamatai is happy to assist Nepleslian however they can given Nepleslia's cooperation against the Mishhuvurthyar.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back