• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Hyperspace Taps: ZPE or not?

Exhack

Inactive Member
Now, I've been getting some mixed signals as to the nature of Hyperspace Taps, but the general (as in every person I've asked in chat, including a few chaps who rolled NDI, way back when) perception was, that they aren't ZPE. But they share many ZPE-like characteristics, such as a nigh-limitless supply of power, but lack others, such as being weaponized (Aether), or summoning unspeakable horrors.

So what's the verdict?

Hyperspace taps are the equivalent of aether, in gameplay.

ZPE is ambient energy, but not transdimensional like aether.

The actual function of hyperspace taps is something we should work out, though, in the setting forum, since "tapping" hyperspace seems unlikely to produce energy, the way hyperspace is currently defined (as simply a medium of travel).

It should be noted they are weaponised - the NDI uses the hyperspace tap principal offensively in some of its more dangerous weapons. In many ways it's more dangerous than aether because of this - the NDI is known to have weapons far far more powerful than anything used in the current universe.

Which is why Nepleslia has chosen, OOCly, to not use any NDI ships or NDI tech that would be deemed supremely overpowered any further than we already have. Like that one carrier main gun that was unblockable and undodgeable and always killed you. I think it was the one that basically shot enemy ships into another dimension, and then blew up that dimension.

Something like that.

Well the way I see it Aether is like sitting in a room and causing energy to manifest out of thin air.

ZPE would be like using the ambient energy in the room to generate electricity.

A hyperspace tap blows a hole in the ceiling and using the falling derbies to make power.

In a more technobabbley way of talking I think it operates by collapsing higher dimensions into 3 dimentional space, like causing hyperspace to manifest in real-space which in turn causes something to expand which translates into uber-power. But really if you want a clearer picture of what the tech is you need to talk to Derran.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back