• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission [IIS] OSMSP (Software package to weaponize Eye series ships)

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'll look at this while we're waiting on Wes:

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✔️ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✔️] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✔️ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✔️ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✔️ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✔️ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✔️ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✔️ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✔️ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ X ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:

1. Need Wes to approve this.

When these fixes are made, please post a reply here so I can re-check the article. Thank you!

I linked Durandium to the article on the wiki and made a few spelling tweaks. I also think you should remove the part about the beam fizzling if blocked by shields. I know how binary lasers/masers/whatever are supposed to work but I also think you're putting out enough energy that you'll still fry anything in the beam's path. A shield absorbing the energy is also going to absorb the shot (Take damage). Ultimately though that's up to you how you want to do it, this won't hold up approval.

I'm not too sure how we're gonna handle it bypassing armor entirely and having the beam essentially "Teleport" inside the target. I know that's not actually how it works, but it's the best-simplified way I can explain it, with the weapon teleporting the beam inside the target directly from the array.

The basic explanation of the physics is like a magnifying glass. Hand to the glass, you'll feel warm, warmer as you move away until the burning of the focal point, then warm again and cooling down as you move past it. The shields it hits may take damage, but no more than a fraction of the damage it was meant to do.

Ok, but that alone doesn't justify (in my opinion as a player) bypassing two of the primary defenses in the setting.

True. I'll figure some way around it. Probably that most ships in setting use power systems that make the application of it rather difficult, such as ground negative DC power, which uses the entire hull as a grounding rod.

Most importantly, the main thing that's mentioned multiple times in the article is that any unusual physics effects are at the GM's discretion.

I think it's important that physics effects and stuff is all fluff, whereas mechanically it's listed as treating all targets as tier 7 AND ignoring armor. The concern is with the mechanical stuff, like how will it operate within the setting? It's going to bypass armor and shields, because that's what you wrote down that it does.

A tier 7 weapon is a tier 7 weapon. The DR system is there largely so we don't have to worry about this kind of stuff.

Unfortunately, T7 is T7, and even then, it specifically states that it DOES NOT WORK on anything that blocks microwaves. So... Every rustbucket in this game. Just where does it say it treats all targets as T7? I said it treats them as unarmored, not as T7.

@FrostJaeger @Alex Hart Both of you please let @Zack do his job and deal with this under appropriate ruling, wherein Wes has specifically stated that one NTSE mod may work on a submission at a time.

Last edited:
Sorry, I misread it. I thought it said that it's tier 7 and treats all targets as unarmored tier 7. However personally I'm not too happy with the way you're treating people just raising concerns about something that they find questionable.

Let me edit out my mess, clean up the wording to something more appropriate. That said, I believe there was a misunderstanding. All claimed effects are left to GM discretion, though reasonable explanations are made. It does treat targets as unarmored due to the physics of the device, not unlike many other armor penetrating weapons available in game. However, that effect is, again, under GM discretion.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back