• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Important Years & Dates Character Bios Should Have

Introduction​

As I'm updating character pages to have structured data (like Star Army characters having their orders threads and date of rank) there's one thing that is really slowing things down: Lack of information! For example there are characters whos history sections never mention any dates or years, This makes it very difficult to figure out how old they are and if they need a promotion.

Examples​

Let me give you an example:
From this history you can't tell how old the character is, when the character joined, how long they served, what ships they were on, what battles they were in, what ship they're on now...

Compare to this NPC of mine:
For Gabriela, it says when she was born, and breaks down the major events of her military life. We know how long she's been in and when her last promotion was so we have a sense of her career progression. It's not magic, it's just using dates.

Action I Need From You

To be specific, here's what I want you guys to make sure you have in bios:
  1. The year they were born (an actual date of birth is better but at least the year)
  2. The year the character joined the military
  3. The year(s) they were promoted (preferably with a link to their orders thread to prove it)
That's it, really. Putting these dates down can be hugely helpful, especially later on down the road when a lot of time has passed and you're like "when WAS my character last promoted anyway?" or "when is my next re-enlistment?".

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…