• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Destiny Inbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlequin

Inactive Member
"You know, someone told me once...That they read somewhere, that someone else had said, 'The earth is the cradle of all life...'"

Renesis Briggs, Santô Hei and Technical Sentry of the Star Army, looked over to the seat next to him on the cramped shuttle he was on. His Nekovalkyrje assistant sat with her chin against her chest, her eyes closed. He smiled, an expression that never revealed his teeth as he took up a stylus and his PDA with only a quick glance out to the ever closing bulk of the Colony Ship Destiny.

He'd had to do quite a bit of shuffling in the last few days, taking the first outbound ship away from the training world and hustling across the stars. It had been worth it; he was early, catching the Destiny on it's inbound deceleration and skipping the crowds of Neplesians.

"The ship approaches. Summoned to the Destiny. This poem, terrible."

Putting the PDA back into his bag, he quickly did a spot check over his meager possessions before turning his full attention to the colony ship.

"...'But we can't stay in the cradle forever.'"

He had heard about it during Basic Training. Read about it. Studied it. And upon seeing it with his own eyes, Yuki Tanaka decided that he would name his first child after it. This was a... a... failure of vocabulary, for one thing. It felt like the first time he rebuilt an engine on his own, or like winning a particularly competitive hover race, just SEEING the ship felt like an accomplishment. Finishing Basic Training seemed rather dull in comparison.

Yuki leaned against the viewport a little more as more of the massive ship came into view, which only served to flatten his face that much more. The Destiny was simply too large to look at all at once. He tilted his head to one side, then the other... then tore his eyes away from the awe-inspiring sight to look at his fellow Santô Hei.

Most of them were sleeping.

"..." Santô Hei Tanaka was doubly speechless. If his breath hadn't been taken away a few scant moments ago, he would have screamed. Instead he resumed gazing out the viewport, and poked at the breast pocket of the brand-new jumpsuit he wore over his brand-new uniform. A small cat-eared head poked out, blinked sleepily, then mumbled. "Wha...?"

"Mini-ko, we're almost home." Yuki swallowed hard, his voice shaky. There was a quiet pause as the pair gazed at the wonder of engineering only partly visible through the port... which ended when the NH-12 slumped back into the pocket and started snoring.

(OOC: Just thought I'd jump in. If there's problems... just lemme know.)

"It's as if the hand of some being deigned to tear an entire city from the ground, sheathe it in metal and glass, and hurl it into the darkness." The deep, rumbling intonation of Renesis' voice continued to give sound to his inner thoughts.

Stretching the stiffness out of his muscular frame, he poked his neko assistant awake and grabbed his rucksack, throwing the load over his shoulder as he stood in the aisle. "Looks like we're close, should be docking soon. Best get ready, eh?"

Walking up to the door separating the cockpit from the cabin area, Ren rapped on it twice to get the neko pilot's attention before opening the door.

"Oi, oi. Take us in anytime you're ready. Can't say I didn't enjoy the flight but I'd really love to get to work."

Yuki rubbed the side of his tanned face, warming it after being pressed against the cool glass of the viewport, listening as the other Tech Sentry waxed poetic. "More like someone stayed up half a week drawing things up, gave the work to the shipyards, and let them work overtime putting it together... but yeah.", he muttered to himself, his eyes veering back to the sight of the colony ship. It would probably be a long time before he saw it from the outside.

He stood, cracked his neck, then reached into his overhead compartment and pulled out his carry-on luggage. A toolbox. The rest of his personal belongings were in the storage bay. He'd packed fast, and light, and likely forgot to buy a few essentials... but they'd be provided on the ship, right? He tilted the toolbox, listening to the contents clatter before setting it on his seat. He glanced up at the viewport again and smirked, exposing one of his fangs.

"Alright, Pop has GOT to see this thing... Mini-ko! Wake up, I need you to record sight and sound." He pulled the neko from his breast pocket, and held her out towards the viewport. There was a somewhat surly protest concerning sleep, but then the Neko's ears perked. "Focus on the Destiny, record on my mark aaand... go. Hey Pops! Here it is, my new home, hobby, and habitat! And you said they'd have me fixing holes in warships all day!" He turned the NH-12 in his hand around and gave her a fanged grin. "We're gonna be boarding soon, so I gotta go. Lemme know how the new hovercoils worked out, okay? Lotsa love, your son Yuki. End recording, and send it to my Dad."

"Recording finished. Transmission pending connection to server facilities." Mini-ko cocked her head to one side and cheerfully started to spiel, "Would you like to edit your recor-"
"No, it's fine."
"Do you want to fill out your regi-"
"No, I told you I'll get to it later."
"Would you like to hear a list of-"
"No. Look, I'm sorry I interupted your nap, go back to sleep." With a sigh he tucked the neko back into his pocket, which shifted about while Mini-ko curled up and started purr-snoring. "I really gotta adjust that attitude sometime..." He patted the pocket gently, then looked up the aisle and addressed the other Tech, "Hey, how much longer before we're aboard?"

"How much longer until we arrive?" Ren parrots Yuki's question back at him. "Well, I suppose however long it takes for us to arrive would be the answer."

Collapsing back onto his seat, idly stroking the head of the neko on his shoulder with one finger, Ren hummed a few bars of his favorite song.

Turning to face his conversational partner, Ren smiled without revealing his teeth. "Ah, I have such terrible manners. The name's Renesis Briggs, you?"

Still standing in the aisle Yuki leans against the side of his seat, crosses his arms, and speaks. "Yuki Tanaka. My manners are considered passable by most." He slowly tips his head to one side. "So... you lookin' forward to working on the first ship in history with a waste recycling system that exceeds the size of it's bridge?" The points of his fangs pierce his grin, giving a slightly impish appearance, which the pointed ears only serve to emphasize.

"It is rather exhilarating to be assigned to this ship, though not for the reasons you mentioned. I prefer to think of it this way; the amount of people with all their diversity and experiences and perspectives that would necessitate such a large waste recycling center. That, Yuki, is what is truely amazing about this ship."

Ren gave a half-hearted smile. "You don't mind if I call you Yuki, right? Oh, and to preempt your question, I don't mind if you refer to me by my first name; just call me Ren, though. Renesis...just don't quite roll off the tongue right."

The A.I had ignored the shuttle for quite some time, seeing if it would do anything intresting, but it had grown bored.

"Shuttle, please identify yourself, your content and what your wish is? This is the Destiny AI." The A.I. Made intese scans of the shuttle and its content, and found out everything it needed to know anyway, still it found communication with new people intresting.

Hearing the sound of communication through the cockpit door, Ren stood up and headed over there to arrive in time to get the communications mic handed to him through the door. It would be his luck that he'd have a neko pilot that was either mute or absurdly shy.

"Destiny AI, this is Star Army Transport Shuttle B-4U, we've got...at last count, two personnel assigned to your ship and miscellaneous small supplies. We're inbound on a docking vector, be so kind as to green-line us for an approach and assign us a bay to set down in."

Handing back the communication device, Ren leaned against the threshold should he need to respond further.

The A.I chose a number at random. Pi. No good. He chose another and came up with 25.

"Shuttle B-4U I have a clearing for you at bay 25. Continue on your course and I'll deactivate that shield grid. We wouldn't want you fried." Well, they might not, the AI would have found it funny, "Can I have your names and ranks?"

"Destiny AI, Shuttle is carrying Santô Hei Renesis Briggs and Santô Hei Yuki Tanaka. Personnel should already have sent word to you all. Anyway, we copy on bay 25, adjusting course for landing now. We'll see you in a few seconds."

Yuki watched the main viewscreen over Ren's shoulder, in awe of the ship once more. After a moment of awed silence, he speaks. "Just think Ren, in a few short moments we'll finally be on board, given a short break to drop off our things at our assigned living quarters... and then it's off to work." He crosses his arms, nodding knowingly at the wisdom he shares. "We'll probably be given the tough jobs, since we're both new recruits. That means monitoring power fluxes in remote corners of the ship.. making adjustments to sensory equipment... crawling through miles of cramped access tunnels to re-calibrate malfunctioning nanobot transmitters.." He punches the air, "YATTA! I can't wait!" Yeah, he's a little excited about this assignment.

"A positive outlook will get you far in life," Ren chuckled. Crossing back to his seat, he strapped himself in for the landing approach. Crashes very rarely happened anymore, what with the advent of highly advanced course planning computers and what not but there was always the chance.

"Best to sit back down, Yuki."

(OOC: Bring it on in please, GMs.)

The gravity field around the ship distored slightly, carefully and gently bringing the shuttle down in bay 25. The huge bay doors, which had been oponed for the shuttle, closed behind it, closing with a melodromatic clunk (it was actualy the AI causing the noise to be created, since the doors did not close in such a fashion to clash).

Robert strode into the bay. He had been on his way to his post for the arrival on Nepleslia, but was in no hurry, and had decided to greet the new comers. He activated his human hologram, and walked up to the shuttle, communicating vocally and through the communication system in the ship.

"Welcome," melodromatic pause, "o the Destiny."

From inside the ship came the sounds of struggle, loud footfalls, and then Yuki came bolting down shuttle's exit ramp, toolbox in hand. He skid to a halt, and pulled off a sloppy if not enthusiastic salute.

"Santô Hei Yuki Tanaka reporting for duty SAH!" He held the salute, adding: "If my belongings could be taken to my assigned quarters, I would like to start work at the- eh..." He squinted at the 'man' before him, dressed like a waiter. The salute faltered, then became a confused head-scratching. "You're... a civilian?"

"Not quite. I am the Captains assistant. I was just passing by and thought I would greet you." Robert looked at him apraisingly. Perhaps a trifle over enthusiastic, but he apeared competant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back