• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Infantry carried rockets?

Stealth ops are still a thing, yam doesn’t even use mechs 99% of the time, nesh dont even have pa letalone mechs and nep is too busy using ak’s lol

Basically as fms we restrict how much of that stuff our factions have so that our players and gms can enjoy interesting plots.

I'm not sure I agree, something to remember is that a Mecha in general doesn't fit inside a building making it a lot less useful in urban combat. A mecha is like a tank or a f-16. I also feel like we often loose sight of the Heinlien quotes below when talking about combat.

"If you wanted to teach a baby a lesson, would you cut its head off? Of course not. You'd paddle it. There can be circumstances when it's just as foolish to hit an enemy city with an H-bomb as it would be to spank a baby with an axe. War is not violence and killing, pure and simple; war is controlled violence, for a purpose. The purpose of war is to support your government's decisions by force. The purpose is never to kill the enemy just to be killing him...but to make him do what you want him to do. Not killing...but controlled and purposeful violence.

There are a dozen different ways of delivering destruction in impersonal wholesale, via ships or missiles of one sort or another, catastrophes so widespread, so unselective that the war is over because that nation or planet has ceased to exist. What we do is entirely different. We make war as personal as a punch in the nose. We can be selective, applying precisely the required amount of pressure at the specified point at a designated time. We've never been told to go down and kill or capture all left-handed redheads in a particular area, but if they tell us to, we can. We will.

We are the boys who will go to a particular place, at H-hour, occupy a designated terrain, stand on it, dig the enemy out of their holes, force them then and there to surrender or die. We're the bloody infantry, the doughboy, the duckfoot, the foot soldier who goes where the enemy is and takes them on in person. We've been doing it, with changes in weapons but very little change in our trade, at least since the time five thousand years ago when the foot sloggers of Sargon the Great forced the Sumerians to cry "Uncle!"

That's not something I feel a mecha can do effectively. Sure, it can do a lot of things to help, but their not infantry in the same way that a tier 5 PA is. PA is certainly the infantry of the universe, but that's about it. Anything above Tier 5 or so isn't really infantry anymore.

I'm not sure I agree, something to remember is that a Mecha in general doesn't fit inside a building making it a lot less useful in urban combat. A mecha is like a tank or a f-16. I also feel like we often loose sight of the Heinlien quotes below when talking about combat.

That's not something I feel a mecha can do effectively. Sure, it can do a lot of things to help, but their not infantry in the same way that a tier 5 PA is. PA is certainly the infantry of the universe, but that's about it. Anything above Tier 5 or so isn't really infantry anymore.

I'm not so convinced. It's a good sentiment but if the largest deciding factor comes out to be mechs then it makes sense any military without them will ultimately lose a large scale war and battles. Thinking as the opposite commander, if your enemies are in a city I'd just park a few gundams outside and draw them into a lengthy siege until they starved to death or surrendered. You don't necessarily have to fire a shot either; just soak up the bullets until they're out and then send in a squad to round up the stragglers before you execute the combatants.

I can see how infantry might still be useful in taking an enemy starship through boarding action but even then you're still tragically outmatched if the enemy has a central hallway that is large enough for a gundam/mech and has one patrolling. Plus, boarding action is already risky because the enemy can just decide to turn their guns on the ship itself and blow it to pieces. Or scuttle it.

That's how I think of things like this though. Rather than "what would I do" I think "how can I counter my own strategies" and then subsequently "how can I counter those strategies" until I'm ten steps in. But I believe that bridging the gap in firepower brings every technology to a more equal level. You can't lay siege if your primary artillery just got knee capped or shot in the head with a rocket or has had its guts blown open. Open field is worse but then again infantry are essentially cannon fodder there. But in the woods? Urban environments? Jungles?

Give the infantry the power to deal damage and be a significant threat to a Gundam or tank and suddenly you have a very terrifying, easy to hide unit that can be deployed nearly anywhere, are readily accessible, require minimal training compared to other fields and are cheap. Sandy shores aren't good for even hover tanks which scatter the sands and create huge plumes of dust that betray their position. Gundams will likely sink into mud. Aircraft are still going to have to adhere to weather conditions.

I'm not saying remove gundams or anything like that. I'm just putting out there that I think people underestimate the infantry of any setting.

Last edited:
Still this is all in pvp terms, which doesn’t happen aside from your plans.

But you can still make anti pa and mech rockets for infantry, and like i said before t5 or 6 rockets will still damage a t8 mech just a lot more slowly

You do it cause every faction has a niche and fighting style.

Yamatai overwhelms you with a technological superiority and sheer massed infantry charges backed by the settings largest fleet. And also by out-breeding you...

Nepleslia beats you with overwhelming firepower through combined arms and uses the biggest guns, The fastest ships, And the most flexible doctorines.

The elyisans beat you by killing you and everyone else you've ever met and everyone they've ever met with a plague that is transmitted through eyesight...

The abs beat you through having four arms and being space germans.

The mishu beat you by............................................................................................................................. yeah....

The kuvex beat you through sheer business.

If you only built mecha and ignored infantry you'de have a trillion cats crawling on you, a 155mm hole from a maximus, or a bunch of angry germans punching you.

Warfare is a rock-paper-scissors kind of deal. Except the times when 500 papers kills 20 rocks.

Tanks beat hard targets, Other tanks, And infantry. Aircraft beat tanks and other aircraft. Infantry beat infantry beat other infantry and are also jacks of all trades through combined arms. Artillery beats civilian population centers. PA beats infantry, Other PA, And occasionally tanks if they are a mindy or aggressor. Ships beat other ships and sometimes anything else in the list if they are fire support ones like the jackdaw. But ships can also sometimes be killed by fighters etc.

You have everything so you can fight everything and wont have a specific disadvantage they can take advantage of.

I forgot one...

The spacers beat you by nuking you, Having all their infantry be nuclear capable light PA, By hacking your facebook and making embarrassing status (By having low key the most powerful weapons capabilities) and by making you glass their planets.

The nesh beat you by being fluffy space foxes whose planets you cant find unless they find you. (ye happy, clubbo?~)

UCS war doctrine:

Quality One: Is this 'good enough' to get the job done?

No: Find another weapon
Yes: Proceed to quality two

Quality Two: Is this weapon cheap enough to be mass produced?

No: Find another weapon. Maybe deploy this for specialized units or special forces.
Yes: Proceed to quality three.

Quality Three: Is this weapon system easy to use and easy to train on?

No: Definitely reserve for special forces if you even got this far.
Yes: Go on to quality four.

Quality Four: Is this weapon easy to maintain?

No: Yeah get rid of this.
Yes: MASS PRODUCE THE FUCK OUT OF IT AND SEND HORDES OF 'GOOD ENOUGH' THINGS AT THE ENEMY!!! While being relatively clever in your tactics of course.

maybe these days in the case of the belmont lewd cult.

Back in the day you crest a hill and there are more neko swarming you in the legions than there are blades of grass underfoot.

No matter how much you shoot... And each neko, Despite looking like a 14 year old girl has the strength to tear your arm off with her bare hands... And even if the fields runs red with neko blood and you forced a rout the survivors are revived through ST and then their numbers swell with freshly grown nekos in a matter of weeks.

They're like pests. Leave even two alive and they can breed an army in a year fit to take a city...

RPG-D RPGfix
Back